Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 1,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
You’re not wrong about that. I suppose the highway does get a good bit of traffic, but I think they should put a Love’s or a Pilot headed out of Columbus to the north for travelers headed on I-185 towards Atlanta. That would get more business being on an Interstate highway. The new Smiths Station location will still do well though.
I thought at least closer to J,R. Allen Parkway...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 07:09 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,911,228 times
The whole I-185 corridor out of Columbus past Williams Rd. to I-85 is SCREAMING for development!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:30 AM

123 posts, read 110,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
The whole I-185 corridor out of Columbus past Williams Rd. to I-85 is SCREAMING for development!
Exactly! This would be the perfect location for another big travel stop, given all of the truck traffic on a daily basis. Exit 19 would be perfect, as I always see trucks parked on the ramps at that exit because the Chevron there is at full capacity. Put a Pilot there, and there’s another source of economic gain for the area and a place for truckers to sleep further off from the freeway.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 AM

783 posts, read 1,164,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
Exactly! This would be the perfect location for another big travel stop, given all of the truck traffic on a daily basis. Exit 19 would be perfect, as I always see trucks parked on the ramps at that exit because the Chevron there is at full capacity. Put a Pilot there, and there’s another source of economic gain for the area and a place for truckers to sleep further off from the freeway.
Seems this will have to happen someday... but perhaps Love's might feel that location would be too similar and close to the one already just up the highway on I-85..?

Or they are targeting that East Alabama to Albany and Florida traffic?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
Seems this will have to happen someday... but perhaps Love's might feel that location would be too similar and close to the one already just up the highway on I-85..?

Or they are targeting that East Alabama to Albany and Florida traffic?
Both may be true. I still think they should target that traffic. There’s multiple places on other freeways with multiple Pilots and Love’s only 30 mi or so apart from one another. The area needs to push more development over being stuck in the past.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,670,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
It is but you have to deal with closed-minded idiots of Harris County. They don’t want progress.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 885,386 times
Spot on regarding Harris Co.

It's getting just weird how the county govt resists any commercial development.

The population is nearing 35k and the entire county doesn't have a modern full service supermarket, just dollar generals and one or two decades old independent grocery stores (nothing wrong with that, but get an Ingles, Kroger, Publix, Piggly Wiggly or even an IGA). That has to be the only county of its size in Georgia without one.

However, their stubborn ways is a benefit to Columbus, since most the Harris Co. population has to come into the city to buy anything.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:43 PM

176 posts, read 157,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Spot on regarding Harris Co.

It's getting just weird how the county govt resists any commercial development.

The population is nearing 35k and the entire county doesn't have a modern full service supermarket, just dollar generals and one or two decades old independent grocery stores (nothing wrong with that, but get an Ingles, Kroger, Publix, Piggly Wiggly or even an IGA). That has to be the only county of its size in Georgia without one.

However, their stubborn ways is a benefit to Columbus, since most the Harris Co. population has to come into the city to buy anything.
I have a friend that lives out there. She has told me on numerous occasions the issues with growing development have to do with a plumbing system. Which Harris County does not have. This is being used to keep developments like The Grove, Walmart on 315, and other possible developments from coming to the county. The people that live out there don’t want them. They prefer driving to Columbus or LaGrange and keeping their lifestyle mostly rural. As Columbus and Metro Atlanta expand things will have to eventually change. Does anyone know if the plumbing stories are true?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 885,386 times
Outside of Hamilton, Pine Mountain, and the small portion of West Point that's in Harris Co., the rest of the county has no sewage system. And just over half of the county, by households, is on the county water system, though that is an area in which the county is actively improving, both in coverage and capacity.

Harris Co. and Columbus reached an agreement years and years ago that if The Grove was developed, Columbus would allow Harris Co. to build an extension from the Columbus sewage system up to 315.

Though the county's own plan calls for a development study to be completed by 2022 for a countywide sewer system, so maybe they are just waiting to build their own instead of tapping into Columbus'.

If The Grove breaks ground that will have been at least 12 years since announcement to development, perhaps a record for the area?

Old 06-26-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Outside of Hamilton, Pine Mountain, and the small portion of West Point that's in Harris Co., the rest of the county has no sewage system. And just over half of the county, by households, is on the county water system, though that is an area in which the county is actively improving, both in coverage and capacity.

Harris Co. and Columbus reached an agreement years and years ago that if The Grove was developed, Columbus would allow Harris Co. to build an extension from the Columbus sewage system up to 315.

Though the county's own plan calls for a development study to be completed by 2022 for a countywide sewer system, so maybe they are just waiting to build their own instead of tapping into Columbus'.

If The Grove breaks ground that will have been at least 12 years since announcement to development, perhaps a record for the area?
We don’t have one where I live. Our septic goes crazy when we get heavy rain 😂. I had no idea that only 3 areas of the county had a sewage system. Hopefully we can get the funds to make our own, or hope for that extension of the Columbus one in 2022. Hopefully by then we can finally get some development up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA