Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 05:49 AM

13 posts, read 62,408 times

Advertisements

I am looking into relocating to SC. Irmo looks intersting to me, the houses seem very affordable, nice setting but the information I keep getting on Irmo is miexed. Some say it "was" a good area, or their "are" good "areas". I see alot of homes for sale inthe St Andrews and Firesgate section. Can anyone give me some info on what Irmo is really like? Are there good sections and bad? Is is a good place for a family, I have a 10 & 11 yr old. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,574,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwdolly View Post
I am looking into relocating to SC. Irmo looks intersting to me, the houses seem very affordable, nice setting but the information I keep getting on Irmo is miexed. Some say it "was" a good area, or their "are" good "areas". I see alot of homes for sale inthe St Andrews and Firesgate section. Can anyone give me some info on what Irmo is really like? Are there good sections and bad? Is is a good place for a family, I have a 10 & 11 yr old. Thanks!
Irmo is a nice suburb of Columbia with schools that have a good reputation. There is alot of shopping nearby and it is very close to Lake Murray. Like anywhere, some parts are better than others. Friarsgate is an older subdivision so probably a higher percentage of the homes are rentals than in other sections. St. Andrews is a little closer in than Irmo, but still mostly a nice area, though the schools don't have quite as good a reputation as those in Irmo.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,536,125 times
Irmo is generally a very good area, in a very good school district. There are very expensive houses, and obviously much cheaper houses. Generally a sought after area though. There are apartments available, condos, shopping, restaurants, the lake, good schools.

There is "old" Friarsgate and "new" Friarsgate. Not really new, but a 2nd phase. Many nice houses, but some on the lower end of the scale without garages. Very affordable housing, which is generally well kept and nice, with nice lawns and trees. Many of the homes are brick.

St. Andrews is more toward Columbia. Again, some nicer homes, some not as nice. Still quite a good area, but I would say Irmo is more popular.

if you google - homes for sale in Irmo, and hit the top selection, you will see quite a few homes for sale.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 PM

737 posts, read 1,655,793 times
Ahhh Irmo/St. Andrews the streets that made me a man LOL!

I grew up literally on the Borderline of Irmo & St. Andrews, where Richland and Lexington Counties meet. Irmo is a great area. Classic "middle-upper class suburbia". It has a diverse population, good public schools, and recreation options. The cost of housing is pretty much gonna be consistent throuhout the Columbia metro. Irmo is a family oriented area. Unfortunately in sections of St. Andrews some of the apartments and homes tend to be more run down the closer you get to the Columbia city limits (traveling down Broad River Road). But that is because most people in the 80's-90's moved further out to places like Irmo, Lexington, and RNE.

If I moved back to Columbia I would more likely move to the Richland Northeast (RNE) area of the city which may be a consideration for you as well!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area