Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,836 times

Advertisements

I just got orders for Shaw AFB and was beginning to do some house hunting. Here's the deal, I will be working at Shaw and my wife will most likely be working at one of the airports in Columbia. Any recommendations on living in Sumter as opposed to Columbia and the commute?

I've been looking at some new homes in SE Columbia/Hopkins area. How is that area? I've also been looking around Sumter/Shaw. If we live there, however, I would prefer to live in the NE area so as to keep my wife's commute reasonable. I found a couple of houses just south of base near Cherryvale. I read in one of the threads that I should stay away from Cherryvale. Is this the consensus?

My son is only 1 so the school systems aren't a big deal for us yet since we'll be moving again before he turns 4. Any input regarding the areas mentioned above is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:30 PM

272 posts, read 730,000 times
The Hopkins area can be very nice or horrible, depending on where you live. Traditionally one side of the major road going through there (US 378) is safe while on the other side you can get into one of the highest crime neighborhoods in the Columbia area. It is, however, building up very quickly as it is the last side of close-to-Columbia country left, and was until recently mostly working farms. But the money offered got to be too big and most of the larger farms are gone. (Can't blame them.)

Chosen wisely, a piece of land around here is almost certain to appreciate, which can't be said for the other outlying sides of town.

It's an easy commute (30 min) to Shaw and maybe less (20-25) to the Columbia airport.

I would recommend it if you get good advice on a property and do it quick before the prices go up any more.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:02 PM

316 posts, read 975,733 times
I would have to say finding a nice place in South East Columbia would be a good idea in my opinion. It would put you guys between Shaw and Columbia Airport. There are some nice communities out there, you just need to do a little research ride through some of them to see what you think.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:57 PM

843 posts, read 2,746,846 times
I live right next to Shaw (on the West side) and it takes me approximately 35 minutes to get to Pineview Rd (which I take to Shop > Assembly > Whaley > Huger > Gervais). I have a friend that lives in the neighborhood across from Pineview, back behind the Bi-Lo shopping center, in a new development. They're townhomes but the prices seem reasonable if you're looking for something for just a few years. They actually rent theirs, for around the same as my mortgage payment in Sumter, but say the rates are going up this year because the owner wants to get them sold.

Anyway, I bring that up because that area through Lower Richland is probably ideal as you'd be 30-35 minutes from Shaw and your wife could hop Pineview > Shop > I77 > I26 to the airport and be there in around 20-25 minutes, as Swampwolf stated.

Hopefully we'll see some development in that strip of 378 sometime soon.

And just in case you weren't aware, there *is* a small regional airport in Sumter. I don't know what type of work your wife does and if there's room for more there, but it might be something to look into

Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Will she be working at the main airport (Columbia Metro) or the smaller airport (Owen's Field)? If you live in NE Columbia the drive to Columbia Metro would be pretty long, but almost all interstate and the drive to Shaw would be mostly back roads. I'd say no more than a 40 minute commute for either of you. If you live in SE Columbia or Hopkins the commute for both of you should be no more than a half hour.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 9,836 times
She'll probably be working at Columbia Metro but if a job is available at Owen's Field that would work too. After doing some more research I think we're leaning more toward SE Columbia over Sumter. Can anyone tell me about the newer neighborhoods around 378 and Trotter such as Myer's Creek? That seems like it would be a good place to start and only give me about a 30 min commute to Shaw. Also, we're pretty active (i.e. running, working out, biking, hiking). Is there much to do around SE Columbia in that regard? Finally, how is Fort Jackson base services (i.e. Commissary, PX, gym, golf course)? Since we'd be pretty close we'd probably use their base services more than Shaw's. Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
SE Columbia is a good middle ground. You'll both have manageable trips and Myers Creek and Willow Tree and some of those other subdivisions are in good areas. There are plenty to pick from. NE Columbia has better schools but it will make both of your commutes longer.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 AM

843 posts, read 2,746,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator77 View Post
Can anyone tell me about the newer neighborhoods around 378 and Trotter such as Myer's Creek?
I have a friend that lives there by Caughman Road Park and she likes it. She says there are always people playing tennis there (she's in the city league), and there's a group of roadies that meet up there for bike rides in the area. I'm sure there are runners in the area, too.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM

316 posts, read 975,733 times
Kingston Ridge, Honeytree, Canary Woods, and Alexander Pointe are also off Trotter, or I should say off roads off of Trotter. I have friends who play golf at the base and they and go to the PX, they have never complained about either one. I don't know about the gym. You should be able to find things to keep active and you will be within a short drive to a reasonable drive from several parks where you would be able to run and hike.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 PM

272 posts, read 730,000 times
A friend of mine lives in one of those off-Trotter neighborhoods and she likes it just fine. She keeps two horses and rides them down to the park and all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area