Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:43 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times

Advertisements

I have read several threads on how the Columbia MSA stands at nearly 700,000 (+/-) and spans almost a half a dozen counties. This is impressive on paper but when you figure the population density per sq. mi. it reveals a different story. The OMB/Census Bureau have their formulas on what constitutes a MSA (Metro Statistical Area) but I would hope someone could explain why Sumter and Columbia are not in the same MSA. It would appear that there is enough data on commuting patterns and other information to justify the relationship between the two communities .. the only reason that I can guess why it is not the case is distance (40-45 miles) if you MapQuest it compared to Greenville-Spartanburg (20- 25 miles(?) and the politics of federal allocations which go primarily to the central city of the MSA. But the reality is the Sumter and Columbia are 'technically' 10 -15 miles apart... How? Fort Jackson and Shaw AFB are both in the City Limits of Columbia and Sumter respectively. Though this may be "as the crow flies" as opposed to direct driving distance (which may also be a factor OMB/Census in keeping the two separate) it would seem that both cities are closer than they appear. Does anyone no why there have not been efforts to join both MSAs (since Sumter has its own).. at least on the part of both of the local gov'ts pushing for its consideration? It would seem that this would make a relatively strong metro stronger in addition to pushing to population up to close to low to mid 800K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 PM

221 posts, read 1,032,512 times
I'd think metro areas have to be somewhat continiously connected. From city center to city center its over 40 miles distance, and there's a whole lot of nothing in between which can be seen from the satelite images on Google Maps:

See the big green patch of nothing. If there was at least some kind of civilization between the two then maybe (even then 40 miles is pushing it...). Or if there was a main loop around them. The widest part of the 285 loop around Atlanta is only 30 miles.

Columbia and Sumter are distinctly different cities, and they should not be grouped as a single Metro Area.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:59 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Default Sumter-The Gamecock City

That seems to be a logical reason.

Sumter appears to be the land of opporunity or missed opportunity depending on how you look at it. The City of roughly 40,000 appears frozen at this level... it does not appear to be growing rapidly (compared to other SC Cities) but its not necessarily in decline either. A drive around the city yields development to the west and northwest and more stagnation to the north and east... with some emerging growth in the south. I have been told that I-20 was supposte to pass close to the City, by following 378/76 and the Sumter "bypass" , which is a limited access highway, but was pushed further away by city leaders for the fear that it would hurt businesses intown. This would have been in the late 50s early 60s(?)Today, we all know that the reverse happened as business and commerce moved out towards the Interstate. The Sumter and Columbia connection would be ENTIRELY different had I-20 followed US 378/76. There is a swamp/wetlands along the Wateree River that would prohibit both areas from being entirely continguous but the growth would have put their urbanized areas within 10-15 miles of each other.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
MSA's are definied by commuting percentages in the "core counties" of a metro area. If I'm not mistaken, 25% of the employed population of a county must work in the core MSA county (or in Columbia's case, Richland or Lexington Counties) in order to be part of the MSA. 3 of the 6 MSA counties for Columbia have small populations, which dramatically lower the population per square mile. The distance between cities doesn't matter, just the percentage of the working population that commutes to the core counties. Sumter, Orangeburg and Newberry Counties may be added to Columbia's MSA after the 2010 census or may just be added to the CSA (consolidated statistical area) at that time. A CSA has a lower commute threshhold for inclusion (I think 15%, which Newberry County already reaches). Anecdotally, people have told me that the amount of traffic from Sumter and Orangeburg Counties to Columbia has increased greatly during rush hour since 2000. I bet we would also find a significant in-migration from those counties to Richland and Lexington during the same time period.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I have read several threads on how the Columbia MSA stands at nearly 700,000 (+/-)...
716,030 to be exact, based on 2007 estimates.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM

113 posts, read 342,027 times
Default Old Plantation house hwy 15

I just wanted to thank whomever posted the ruins of the old house in Sumter.

I love old things , like houses , ruins of houses ect. Whenever I get to vist S.C. I always make sure to stop in see some of the old sights like Drayton hall

( If you can drag me from the beach )

Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM

22 posts, read 89,947 times
columbia metro area is only made up of two counties,richland and lexington.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:35 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram180 View Post
columbia metro area is only made up of two counties,richland and lexington.
That is not correct: Columbia's metro is made up of Richland, Lexington, Fairfield, Saluda, Kershaw and Calhoun Counties.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:25 AM

60 posts, read 387,441 times
ok i wouldn't consider sumter a large town at all and columbia is a midsized city. charlotte is so much larger and atlanta is like 3 times the size of charlotte. columbia seems to be a densely populated city with a few suburbs and large expanses or rural area between towns.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM

22 posts, read 89,947 times
Default i stand corrected

you are correct about the columbia metro counties. its been so long since i last checked that and its been richland and lexington for such a long time. still all you hear about is richland and lexington counties when talking about the columbia metro. i checked with wiki and you are 100% right so i just have to do my home work before responding to things like that,i'm just a few years behind plus living away for a long time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area