Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 12:37 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I actually think this is more of a statewide issue than a Columbia-specific issue and it's mainly due to the lack of knowledge-based, professional jobs compared to those in nearby states. It's just too easy for someone who's graduated from Carolina, Clemson, Francis Marion, CofC, Winthrop, etc. to hop on the interstate and move a relatively short distance away to Charlotte, Atlanta, or Raleigh.
I agree, but I will tell you and I dont mean to bring up Greenville in a Columbia post but I just moved up here and they really have done a great job at retaining and recruiting the 20 something post grads. The city is full of them and its really great to see.

Columbia very easily could do the same thing and it looks like they are starting and thats great to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I agree, but I will tell you and I dont mean to bring up Greenville in a Columbia post but I just moved up here and they really have done a great job at retaining and recruiting the 20 something post grads. The city is full of them and its really great to see.

Columbia very easily could do the same thing and it looks like they are starting and thats great to see.
I think this is where Columbia has fallen behind in the last decade: developing entertainment and lifestyle options for young professionals. Like you said, Greenville has really blossomed in this regard and it shows. I agree that Columbia does seem to be on the cusp of fleshing out its offerings for twenty- and thirty somethings. This will do a lot towards retaining graduates who otherwise may have left to find a city with more grown-up options.

What's strange to me is that this was ever an issue for Columbia. The offerings for people in their forties and older (museums, theatre groups, ballet, philharmonic) are excellent, as are the options for college aged people. The young professional scene was the hole in the doughnut.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:52 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Sorry, but young professionals are visible in Columbia, too. No city in SC has retained them on as large a scale as we would like, but it's not like none have stayed Here. Columbia's got a live music scene, so that helps. Offerings for young professionals are here, and they're only going to get better.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Sorry, but young professionals are visible in Columbia, too. No city in SC has retained them on as large a scale as we would like, but it's not like none have stayed Here. Columbia's got a live music scene, so that helps. Offerings for young professionals are here, and they're only going to get better.
The offerings are here, but Greenville and Charleston's have grown faster than ours in recent years. There are indeed many young professionals here, and it is an underserved market based on the numbers, in my opinion.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:13 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
The offerings are here, but Greenville and Charleston's have grown faster than ours in recent years.
How so? I'm genuinely curious. More nightlife, arts events, etc.? I think Columbia has been making notable progress in this area but being the modest city that it is, it doesn't really promote its success; the rapid growth of the Indie Grits festival is but one example that comes to mind.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? I'm genuinely curious. More nightlife, arts events, etc.? I think Columbia has been making notable progress in this area but being the modest city that it is, it doesn't really promote its success; the rapid growth of the Indie Grits festival is but one example that comes to mind.
Not talking about the arts. Columbia is very strong in that regard. I was talking more about upscale nightlife options (craft cocktail bars, beer gardens, breweries, bistros, etc.) that fall somewhere between a high-end restaurant and a cheap, beer-in-plastic-cups type of place. I would like Columbia to have more bars like Liberty, the Kraken, and Bourbon. I was excited to hear the news about The Reserve opening on Main St next to the Free Times office, but that seems to be dead.

Columbia has a lot to offer and, if it promoted itself better, would be better known for its culture. I just wish we had more places like Proof, Prohibition, or Cocktail Club in Charleston.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:54 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Columbia has three breweries and is getting a fourth. It's going to be on Gervais Street in the Vista. There are also several craft beer joints. Greenvilleonline.com did a couple of articles just last week decrying the lack of live music venues or even a live music scene there, asking what it's going to take to get one going. Columbia has Music Farm, Tin Roof, New Brookland Tavern and several smaller places in Five Points. Township Auditorium has also done some impressive booking in the last couple of years, and the Free Times, which wouldn't be caught dead sugar-coating anything for Columbia, wrote about how that venue has been knocking it out of the ballpark. Of course the Greenvilleonline.com article didn't mention Columbia. It talked about leaving town to see live music in Asheville, Charleston, Atlanta and Charlotte, but no mention of Columbia - of course not. Columbia doesn't have a huge contingent of people who rush to their computers and smart phones every time there's some online contest asking for votes for the best city for this or that. They should do more of that IMO, but I guess they have better things to do.

Typical scenes at noon in Columbia's central business district 12 months a year:

2015 Suds and Spuds Kickoff Party - Columbia, South Carolina by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr
Soda City Farmers Market on Saturdays - Downtown Columbia, South Carolina by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr
Typical scene at noon in the central business district of Columbia, South Carolina by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr

Old 03-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Columbia has three breweries and is getting a fourth. It's going to be on Gervais Street in the Vista. There are also several craft beer joints. Greenvilleonline.com did a couple of articles just last week decrying the lack of live music venues or even a live music scene there, asking what it's going to take to get one going. Columbia has Music Farm, Tin Roof, New Brookland Tavern and several smaller places in Five Points. Township Auditorium has also done some impressive booking in the last couple of years, and the Free Times, which wouldn't be caught dead sugar-coating anything for Columbia, wrote about how that venue has been knocking it out of the ballpark. Of course the Greenvilleonline.com article didn't mention Columbia. It talked about leaving town to see live music in Asheville, Charleston, Atlanta and Charlotte, but no mention of Columbia - of course not. Columbia doesn't have a huge contingent of people who rush to their computers and smart phones every time there's some online contest asking for votes for the best city for this or that. They should do more of that IMO, but I guess they have better things to do.

Typical scenes at noon in Columbia's central business district 12 months a year:

2015 Suds and Spuds Kickoff Party - Columbia, South Carolina by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr
Soda City Farmers Market on Saturdays - Downtown Columbia, South Carolina by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr
Typical scene at noon in the central business district of Columbia, South Carolina by Matt Woolsey Photography, on Flickr
I keep hearing about the brewery coming to City Market, but haven't seen an official announcement other than the random mention on article that the development includes a microbrewery. I hope this comes to fruition, is there something more definite?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Guys re new microbrewery. Remember that Hunter Gatherer said they were building a stand alone brewery so high likelihood this is it re City market which also includes Grill Marks and Newks.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post

Greenville is actually going the opposite direction........from 2010 to 2013, the percentage of population between 25 and 39 dropped from 20.4 to 19.8. In the same time period, the percentage above 65 grew from 12.8 to 13.8.

The percentage of people over 65 in Columbia is less than 11%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area