Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 06:19 PM

12,880 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I motion that we post all articles on this site when referencing instead of attaching a link...Can I get a second?
I’m hesitant to do that. If I subscribe and can read it, I don’t mind copying and pasting, but what about what the source thinks about people on website forums giving away their product to forum ‘associates’ for free? Is it okay or even legal to do that? I’m in the dark on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 07:07 PM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Hey, it's not plagiarism if you cite the source. May just be frowned upon.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:33 PM

273 posts, read 245,869 times
How can we be informed citizens if we have to pay to be informed?

Old 09-24-2021, 06:16 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I’m hesitant to do that. If I subscribe and can read it, I don’t mind copying and pasting, but what about what the source thinks about people on website forums giving away their product to forum ‘associates’ for free? Is it okay or even legal to do that? I’m in the dark on the issue.
then keep us in the dark if you think that helps anything.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:46 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I motion that we post all articles on this site when referencing instead of attaching a link...Can I get a second?
It's against the Terms of Service for City-Data:

Quote:
Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post. Repeat copyright infringers may have their account terminated and their access to the Site and any Services revoked.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's against the Terms of Service for City-Data:
D*mmit... you got me with the ole Terms of Service Trick aye. I saw that once when I was a rookie. Very clever, can't believe I fell for it again. lol

Well, like I said, it isn't illegal. Just frowned on.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:25 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Hey, it's not plagiarism if you cite the source. May just be frowned upon.
You’ve always had to pay for private news sources. Before the internet, you had to purchase a physical copy of the newspaper. It’s copyrighted material. You’re effectively stealing the intellectual property of a private party. Private journalism isn’t a public good.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
You’ve always had to pay for private news sources. Before the internet, you had to purchase a physical copy of the newspaper. It’s copyrighted material. You’re effectively stealing the intellectual property of a private party. Private journalism isn’t a public good.
The freedom of Information should be Free for the public and every citizen to know. putting it behind a paywall is stupid.

Old 09-26-2021, 10:10 AM

12,880 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I agree with the concept of subscribing to the newspaper, magazines, etc. That’s how people got their news before the Internet. I didn’t even see how Free Times, the weekly, was free.

I personally have always believed it to be my civic duty to subscribe to the local newspaper. If I don’t like something they publish, that’s what Letters to the Editor are for.

When I was a young teenager in my maternal grandfather’s den on a visit, he handed me a section of the Times and Democrat. When I said no thanks, he said, “Beau, you don’t read the paper? How you gonna know what’s goin’ on?” I said okay, thanks, and I’ve been an avid local newspaper reader ever since - $42/mo. now for The Post and Courier delivery and digital.

I don’t mind citing or paraphrasing, but I don’t feel obligated to do so on this forum or any other. I have been criticized for not posting a link and criticized for posting links with paywalls. Can’t win.

If an exciting new building is proposed for the corner of A and B streets and I read an article about it, if all I care to share is that I just read an article saying a big building is proposed for construction at the corner of A and B streets, I don’t see an issue, unless it’s also forum rules that the poster has to elaborate at least a little. If so, I’ll do that if someone can cite the rule. But nowadays if anyone wants details there’s Google.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:26 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area