Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2021, 06:39 PM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times

Advertisements

I cant find the forum we had here where we shared our ideas for Columbia. but I was once again traveling to other cities including Charleston and holy crap Im really realizing how far behind columbia is now.

but theres one thing I still really think could be a hit in Columbia if done right and that a Central Shopping and entertainment plaza in the center of Downtown either it be in that Empty lot across from the library or Maybe whatever Ben Arnold is building for the Convention Center Expansion. there's real opprtunity here.

I really hate when I travel and I see every other city around us doing way better than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 10:44 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I cant find the forum we had here where we shared our ideas for Columbia. but I was once again traveling to other cities including Charleston and holy crap Im really realizing how far behind columbia is now.

but theres one thing I still really think could be a hit in Columbia if done right and that a Central Shopping and entertainment plaza in the center of Downtown either it be in that Empty lot across from the library or Maybe whatever Ben Arnold is building for the Convention Center Expansion. there's real opprtunity here.

I really hate when I travel and I see every other city around us doing way better than us.
I had a friend over from Columbia this weekend and he made similar remarks about Columbia.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:03 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
It might be partly because of being in Columbia as opposed to only occasionally visiting. The Post and Courier just published an article about private student apartment buildings in Columbia overtaking office towers as a source of property tax revenue for the City. When their initial tax break expires, the City stands to take in a lot more.

The article does end with a chamber of commerce person, I think, who says the City needs to find another way, because it shouldn’t rely too heavily on the college crowd.

I send photos of Charleston and sometimes Columbia to my best bud from our younger days in DC, who now lives happily in Thompson Falls, MT, after 40 years in DC. He said the other day, “Columbia needs three 30- 40-story towers.”

Like me, he has always appreciated cities with either tall skylines or low-slung ones like Charleston and DC and has an eye for what the “portrait” of a city could benefit from. I just would want them to be built where I said, not just anywhere.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:59 AM

1,151 posts, read 953,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
It might be partly because of being in Columbia as opposed to only occasionally visiting. The Post and Courier just published an article about private student apartment buildings in Columbia overtaking office towers as a source of property tax revenue for the City. When their initial tax break expires, the City stands to take in a lot more.

The article does end with a chamber of commerce person, I think, who says the City needs to find another way, because it shouldn’t rely too heavily on the college crowd.

I send photos of Charleston and sometimes Columbia to my best bud from our younger days in DC, who now lives happily in Thompson Falls, MT, after 40 years in DC. He said the other day, “Columbia needs three 30- 40-story towers.”

Like me, he has always appreciated cities with either tall skylines or low-slung ones like Charleston and DC and has an eye for what the “portrait” of a city could benefit from. I just would want them to be built where I said, not just anywhere.
Yeah I went to Charleston again over the weekend and still be finding new things in Downtown Charleston. went there on a Saturday night and the Nightlife is amazing. its like the Vista and Five points put together but much more dense and more than just a strip of life. it was block after block after block of stuff to do eat shop have fun.

Its the same thing when I go to Uptown Charlotte on Saturday nights. its not just 1 street of entertainment. its like most of the entire Uptown and South End is one big party district.

What Columbia is missing is a Central Core for all of this to spread out from. Yeah I know Main Street has come a long way over the past decade But its missing something big something huge that draws in everyone. and I hope with this New Student Tower under construction now on assembly that finally a development will happen in that empty Parking crater across from the library. but hey if that don't happen then I hope something big pops up along side the Convention Center Expansion. especially since its about to be an amalgamation of Hotels and Shops its the perfect oppurtunity to build like a Large entertainment complex.

Like I know I bring up the Epicentre from charlotte a lot but its a good example. but We should focus on it being more than just a Mall but a place that people would want to go to. Tourist or Locals. host events, have more than just retail there. have a movie theatre, maybe small theme park for kids, Arcade and even offices. Something needs to be done because I feel like if columbia wait we are gonna lose out once again to Charlotte, Charleston and Greenville.

I think we all these new Student Housing, Apartment/Condos and Hotels being built up in downtown. its time for someone to pull the trigger on this.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:47 PM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Quote:
Yeah I went to Charleston again over the weekend and still be finding new things in Downtown Charleston. went there on a Saturday night and the Nightlife is amazing. its like the Vista and Five points put together but much more dense and more than just a strip of life. it was block after block after block of stuff to do eat shop have fun.

Its the same thing when I go to Uptown Charlotte on Saturday nights. its not just 1 street of entertainment. its like most of the entire Uptown and South End is one big party district.

What Columbia is missing is a Central Core for all of this to spread out from. Yeah I know Main Street has come a long way over the past decade But its missing something big something huge that draws in everyone. and I hope with this New Student Tower under construction now on assembly that finally a development will happen in that empty Parking crater across from the library. but hey if that don't happen then I hope something big pops up along side the Convention Center Expansion. especially since its about to be an amalgamation of Hotels and Shops its the perfect oppurtunity to build like a Large entertainment complex.

Like I know I bring up the Epicentre from charlotte a lot but its a good example. but We should focus on it being more than just a Mall but a place that people would want to go to. Tourist or Locals. host events, have more than just retail there. have a movie theatre, maybe small theme park for kids, Arcade and even offices. Something needs to be done because I feel like if columbia wait we are gonna lose out once again to Charlotte, Charleston and Greenville.

I think we all these new Student Housing, Apartment/Condos and Hotels being built up in downtown. its time for someone to pull the trigger on this.
I don't think a dedicated entertainment center like the Epicentre would work in Columbia. Even the Epicentre in Charlotte didn't survive and Charlotte is way more populous than Columbia. The Epicentre has been converted to offices now. I think the closet thing to an Epicentre that we could have would be in the Arcade mall. They could remove the doors/entrance ways to make the halls more visible and have a CLEAR glass roof that lets more sunlight in in the daytime and have a few lounges and bars. The building itself still looks like it's abandoned when casually driving by. Other than that I don't think a huge center would work because it would either take too many people away from the businesses already established or not take away from them and collapse really fast. Columbia is constructed to operate over a huge area with many districts like a big city, but we don't have the population to sustain all of the big city luxuries that we all want. We have five points, the vista, main street, harbison, Bullstreet is coming along, north main is adding breweries and bars, and Sandhills is destined for a come back. Adding in an Epicentre could ruin a lot of the momentum that we have. I would like to see a nice hotel like the new JW Marriott that just opened in Charlotte with the rooftop restaurant/bar and pool with retail on the bottom floor that could provide a nightlife venue. I think that could be more suitable for our smaller scale. Maybe if the convention center expansion doesn't happen then Ben Arnold could take a look at that area because I would prefer the kind of fill in that he is talking about to happen in that area rather than in the Vista especially with the 3 tall hotels and apartments that he is planning. That would greatly improve the downtown vibe.

Last edited by Big_Cat; 09-13-2021 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 01:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

The funny thing about this is that Columbia tends to get higher marks from people who aren't from there.

More shopping and entertainment options is something that comes over the course of time with more organic development, not one big mega development. Epicenter didn't survive and a lot of those festival marketplace-type developments in other cities didn't either, like Jacksonville Landing, Peabody Place in Memphis, Harborplace in Baltimore, etc.

But if you want extremely rapid growth, be prepared for the possibility that you may no longer afford to live there anymore. It's not a coincidence that Charleston is hemorrhaging Black folks.

Or...just move to another city where you can experience what it is you feel that Columbia is lacking. You can love your hometown and live elsewhere to get a different experience.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:17 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Default Live PD Landmark threatened

I knew this was coming.. and am surprised it took this long.. This place was on Live PD every weekend. Without a Beer and Wine License.. I am sure that is like 50% of their income... but I could be wrong...

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...254233558.html

Old 09-16-2021, 12:58 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Now where can I go to watch the action?

Old 09-19-2021, 03:22 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:

I lived in Charlotte for a while and have to say that the nightlife wasn't even close to what it is today 10 years ago. The key differentiator was the development of mid-size apartments (15-25 stories). I think the same is true of Columbia- you need a solid base of people either immediately in the downtown or in tangential neighborhoods that decide it's easier/more attractive to stay there than it is to go further afield. I'd love for the city to focus intently on attracting more market rate developers. Sure, it may soak up demand destined for other areas, but what's good for the core is often good for the entire metro.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:39 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
More drum beats for property tax reform in Columbia Richland. I am surprised that the business community hasnt gotten behind this and started some form of campaign to get the public on board... Seems like most politicos wont get behind it unless they are forced to especially the School Board Members.

It also seems to beg the question of consolidation.. certainly of the school districts but potentially the governments. I believe Augusta and Richmond County merged in part because the city was in decline in population.. Seems like the consolidation has made things improve down there from what I can tell. Columbia Richland could run into similar problems... especially if columbia's population growth is being driven by annexation as opposed in increase in household size and infill/density and Richland County's growth is becoming sluggish because of tax/development related issues and being poached by Lexington and Kershaw Counties

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...254382688.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area