Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

Here's another article about the new Columbia Chamber of Commerce CEO from the chamber's blog.

Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce Names Carl Blackstone President & CEO | Columbia Chamber Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Here's another article about the new Columbia Chamber of Commerce CEO from the chamber's blog.

Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce Names Carl Blackstone President & CEO | Columbia Chamber Blog
I think it would have been good to have selected someone from outside of SC to bring different perspectives and such to the job.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it would have been good to have selected someone from outside of SC to bring different perspectives and such to the job.
He's from North Carolina and is a College of Charleston graduate. I think they picked a winner.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Quite happy too see CCC get it's new leader. But in reply to some of the other posts above. As much construction going on or projects planned, they seem to be slow going. DMSOB has taken almost 2 yrs to do a 6 story building. Hyatt is has taken 5 months to finally get to the second floor. Allsouth is almost done even though the project was announced in November 2012 and finally started construction November of 2013. Olympia started construction on January 20th, and even with the delays should be farther than still having the hole in the ground and pipes just getting done. And I may add the museum is almost done after 6 months. And i don't know if Canalside is done yet. Is it just me or does it seem like it's taking forever for the projects to start or get constructed.

It's just kind of getting on my nerves to see Austin construction projects get announced, and with in the month it was announced start construction. And to see Greenville projects go faster. Also seeing some of these new tallest and supertalls go faster than our smaller projects.
If it'll make you feel any better, I just drove up Gervais and the second-floor cement casing or whatever went up fast once the first level was done.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If it'll make you feel any better, I just drove up Gervais and the second-floor cement casing or whatever went up fast once the first level was done.
Now that I think about its probably going slow because they don't have a crane for the cement.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:35 PM

542 posts, read 1,107,985 times
It's also rained an awful lot this winter.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
It's also rained an awful lot this winter.
Well Allsouth and the museum are almost done and they started at the same time.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:19 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Quite happy too see CCC get it's new leader. But in reply to some of the other posts above. As much construction going on or projects planned, they seem to be slow going. DMSOB has taken almost 2 yrs to do a 6 story building. Hyatt is has taken 5 months to finally get to the second floor. Allsouth is almost done even though the project was announced in November 2012 and finally started construction November of 2013. Olympia started construction on January 20th, and even with the delays should be farther than still having the hole in the ground and pipes just getting done. And I may add the museum is almost done after 6 months. And i don't know if Canalside is done yet. Is it just me or does it seem like it's taking forever for the projects to start or get constructed.

It's just kind of getting on my nerves to see Austin construction projects get announced, and with in the month it was announced start construction. And to see Greenville projects go faster. Also seeing some of these new tallest and supertalls go faster than our smaller projects.
I've also been critical of how long it takes to build projects in the city. Look at all of the student housing projects. Most of them, besides the remodeling of the former SCANA building, haven't even broken ground yet. I think some of them were slated to open later this year and there is absolutely no movement on the parcels of land at all. Slowly but surely, I say.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I've also been critical of how long it takes to build projects in the city. Look at all of the student housing projects. Most of them, besides the remodeling of the former SCANA building, haven't even broken ground yet. I think some of them were slated to open later this year and there is absolutely no movement on the parcels of land at all. Slowly but surely, I say.
Ben Arnold had to keep coming back to DDRC, but the board finally approved all aspects of it this month. The next day The State said the apartments are slated to be ready for full occupancy by August of 2015. Another thing is that just because something gets approved doesn't mean it will ever happen. Getting something approved often even comes before due diligence on the property is done. So sometimes we get these announcements and articles, but none of the ground work to actually make it happen has occurred. And now it's time for developers to step up and match the number of college student dwellings, announced or built, with young professional and empty-nester apartments. Where would be some good spots for those developments?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:44 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
This area is still very rough around the edges, but I would love to see the city and developers clean up and redevelop the area around the Harden St and Gervais St intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area