Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
We all know which areas draw people.
You literally just said no area in Columbia does.

Quote:
The critical mass of people “daily and nightly on a consistent basis” part is lacking compared to what it could be if the city weren’t so broken up.
Stop with this foolishness. Columbia is no more "broken up" than most other cities its size. I bet you wouldn't say that about Charleston and its downtown is actually separated from other parts of the city by two rivers.

It's pretty interesting that when you were living in Columbia, you were pretty hesitant to criticize the city but now that you've moved to Charleston, you can't get enough, even engaging in some pretty baseless criticism such as your recent statements. That doesn't seem healthy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 PM

12,897 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You literally just said no area in Columbia does.

Stop with this foolishness. Columbia is no more "broken up" than most other cities its size. I bet you wouldn't say that about Charleston and its downtown is actually separated from other parts of the city by two rivers.

It's pretty interesting that when you were living in Columbia, you were pretty hesitant to criticize the city but now that you've moved to Charleston, you can't get enough, even engaging in some pretty baseless criticism such as your recent statements. That doesn't seem healthy at all.
Don’t get all paranoid. Drawing people and having a critical mass of people daily and nightly on a consistent basis aren’t one in the same. I see the difference since living in Charleston. Thirty-one years of living in Columbia gave me an insular viewpoint.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:12 PM

1,154 posts, read 955,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
Look at the development overview of this development. It's not bull street or Killian. It's small and is more like a planned neighborhood. I'm sure it will have a huge affordability push. It's privately funded too!
Exactly that's what I saw in the rendering that's why i changed my initial statement on this project at first I was like maybe it's too ambitious but then i finally got a hold of the rendering and I'm not long skeptical. I see this working find. North Columbia isn't all run down as people are making it out too be.
. Because it ain't got multi million dollar homes people think it's run down. Lower middle class and poor people can actually be nice places to live in. It's the people not their income and i notice a lot of neighborhoods over there are taken care of.

So a development like this that's new and still trying to stay in the realm of not pushing all the poor people out to make it a Rich place only. I like that.

We need more of that in Columbia not these apartments that are like $3000 a month for rent.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:03 AM

273 posts, read 246,172 times
If you check out the planning commissions agenda for November it has the whole plan and annexation details for it. I'll see if I can post the link later today

Old 11-03-2017, 07:22 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
If you check out the planning commissions agenda for November it has the whole plan and annexation details for it. I'll see if I can post the link later today
You read my mind.

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/plan...and-nx1028.pdf

Looking at the site plan there’s A LOT of parking spaces. Also not that there’s much of an option but with the residential right up against I-20 I’m worried about road noise unless somehow they get DOT to put a noise wall. Another concern, because this Isn't a hot spot at the moment in the city what retail is this going to attract and who’s going to choose to live there. Otherwise I’m just happy that something has been proposed for this site after passing it many times and wishing something would be built. Hopefully this is a catalyst for the area and businesses and residential start popping up in North Columbia and around that part of the I-20 corridor. Maybe this will start to help the schools around there and the crime issues in the area over the next 10-20 years as more people move in.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:25 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Do other areas of SC suffer like we did from the Housing Market slaughter? My house in Lake Carolina is worth less now than in 2001 when we bought it new. And the VC Sumner shutdown made it even worse.
Suffering? We're to break last years record for # of homes sold and prices increased by a very respectable margin for our market over the last 2 years. Pockets have been affected the last few months with the plant closing but we've seen 4-7% appreciation this year as a whole. Lake Carolina has had it's struggle with foreclosures in certain neighborhoods. Not sure which one you're in but here's everything listed for sale:
Lake Carolina - Harborside, Lake Carolina - Centennial, Lake Carolina - The Peninsula, Lake Carolina - Pinnacle Ridge, Lake Carolina - Elliot Lake Real Estate - Homes for Sale in Lake Carolina - Harborside, Lake Carolina - Centennial, Lake Carolina -

Old 11-03-2017, 08:14 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Having lived in Charleston (Mount Pleasant) and now Columbia (Lexington) some say Columbia is fractured as if that is negative. I see it as somewhat positive. Three distinct sections: Vista, 5 Points, Downtown. Each with their own appeal. While I love Charleston (might actually prefer it overall to Columbia but another discussion) it has only one active section and that is downtown. Park Circle might come along but it is still far from it.

Overall, Columbia offers more diversity but it is also grittier.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
You read my mind.

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/plan...and-nx1028.pdf

Looking at the site plan there’s A LOT of parking spaces. Also not that there’s much of an option but with the residential right up against I-20 I’m worried about road noise unless somehow they get DOT to put a noise wall. Another concern, because this Isn't a hot spot at the moment in the city what retail is this going to attract and who’s going to choose to live there. Otherwise I’m just happy that something has been proposed for this site after passing it many times and wishing something would be built. Hopefully this is a catalyst for the area and businesses and residential start popping up in North Columbia and around that part of the I-20 corridor. Maybe this will start to help the schools around there and the crime issues in the area over the next 10-20 years as more people move in.

In the words of Charlie Brown... UUUUGGGGH.. This isn't what I expected.. You are right.. there is ALOT of parking here and the phasing seems to indicate that its going to take a LOOONG time to develop. Overall..as a midscale development it is fine.. house designs seem nice.. but I have some concerns that it will ever fully materialize.. Phase 1 is simply the marquee sign along I-20.. I suspect that it will be up there for several years before PHase 2 even breaks ground...There is a grocery store just a half a mile south of this site and two abandon grocery stores (occupied by a church and a beauty outlet respectively) Greenview Plaza across the street has had a string of tenants and Northway Plaza on Fairfield is almost completely vacant with the exception of Food Lion.

On a political note, its interesting that this was announced just ahead of the local election where the incumbent is fending off a young upstart. The incumbent herald this development as proof that North Columbia is on the rise to counter said upstarts claim that the incumbent has done nothing for the other "north Columbia" drawing the arbitrary line further north outside of the growing corridor from Elmwood to Sunset and focusing on the rest of the expanse from Sunset to I-20.. Again. " North Columbia" is very vague and ambiguous .. It is the largest area in the City of Columbia comprised of dozens of neighborhoods that are similar by some accounts but different along racial and economic lines. Ironically, what is considered "North Columbia" used to be the City of Eau Claire, SC up until the 1950s when it was annexed.. ie. the reason there is an Eau Claire town hall at Monticello and Main St. From a marketing perspective.. they may need to break up "North Columbia" into smaller nodes/areas.. I think the natural name should be "Eau Claire" for the area south of Main at Fairfield Road given the areas history as a city/town. Unfortunately, many people may attribute that name to the High School which has had challenges both on and off campus and to some of the more challenged neighborhoods that dot the area..... Other than a scuffle at a Friday Night Lights Game with CA Johnson..I haven't heard anything negative about the school as of late nor what its academic standings are.....

At any rate.. notice that many of the homes in the Earlewood Park and Keenan Terrace sections of Eau Claire resemble the homes in Rosewood since both areas were trolley car suburbs and constructed at around the same time

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-03-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Don’t get all paranoid. Drawing people and having a critical mass of people daily and nightly on a consistent basis aren’t one in the same.
You made it one in the same when you stated "no one area has truly ever had a turn at being something that attracts a critical mass of people daily or nightly on a consistent basis."

Your attempts to walk back your own statement are pretty flimsy.

Quote:
I see the difference since living in Charleston. Thirty-one years of living in Columbia gave me an insular viewpoint.
That's pretty sad since you stated you previously lived in DC and I'm guessing you didn't travel much when you lived in Columbia.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Having lived in Charleston (Mount Pleasant) and now Columbia (Lexington) some say Columbia is fractured as if that is negative. I see it as somewhat positive. Three distinct sections: Vista, 5 Points, Downtown. Each with their own appeal. While I love Charleston (might actually prefer it overall to Columbia but another discussion) it has only one active section and that is downtown. Park Circle might come along but it is still far from it.

Overall, Columbia offers more diversity but it is also grittier.
Well to be fair, the Vista, Five Points, and Main Street are all sections/neighborhoods of the greater downtown area. Downtown Charleston has its own sections/neighborhoods as well: SOB, Harleston Village, the French Quarter, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area