Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 09:30 PM

744 posts, read 747,592 times

Advertisements

I have never seen anyone's junk in a public bathroom! Also, gay men can use the guy's bathroom and lesbian women can use the woman's bathroom. There are already laws against taking pics of people in a bathroom or raping people or touching people like that. This is clearly just a witch-hunt on trans people. Can't we all just be nice to each other? I totally respect if you do not understand other people, and I hope that does not result in useless laws that make people feel bad. I just don't get how people can use an argument against gun control, then do an about face and act like a similar type of "logical" argument will protect people in the bathroom? I agree with Governor Haley that we don't need this law. I also am not going to say that all conservatives or all liberals are bad. We need to focus on bettering what we can agree on, while respecting that we have differing opinions. All these issues do is divide people further, and take our attention away from real issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
In Toronto guys were taking pics of women in an neutral gender bathroom.
Has nothing to do with HB2 and that wasn't even in the U.S.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,372 times
I've got a question that's probably really stupid to you folks but one that may be common for us few - does 'transgender' mean that the family jewels are taken and are no longer 'original equipment' ? I mean, is this fellow 'hangin' while in the ladies room ? or is it simply a man wearing heals and stockings and a wig ? Pretty gullible, I know but this is not a subject that is top shelf (to me) like maybe being denied a second amendment constitutional right.

and I googled my question before posting and it doesn't really spell it out

Ok, so web md defines it as not a surgical procedure.

Last edited by burr; 04-11-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I've got a question that's probably really stupid to you folks but one that may be common for us few - does 'transgender' mean that the family jewels are taken and are no longer 'original equipment' ? I mean, is this fellow 'hangin' while in the ladies room ? or is it simply a man wearing heals and stockings and a wig ? Has Olymic gold medalist BruceJenner had junk surgically removed ? Pretty gullible, I know but this is not a subject that is top shelf (to me) like maybe being denied a second amendment constitutional right.
Transgender is NOT a cross-dresser, so, no, a dude wearing a wig and heels is not necessarily transgender. A transgender person identifies as a person of the opposite sex, they feel like "a man born in a woman's body," or vice versa. It's also not the same as being gay, as sexual orientation and sexual identity are two different things. A transgender may or may not have their "original equipment," it depends on the extent of their transition, and some may choose to keep their original genitalia but otherwise fully transition (hormone therapy, surgeries, etc).

It is a complicated concept for many of us to understand, and the vast majority of people can be forgiven for not understanding. More information and education will be needed before this issue is really understood. However, I still think our public policy should at the very least not start from a position of meanness. Let's have some compassion and understand that some people are dealt a tough hand of cards that we may never fully understand, but that does not mean we should treat them like pariahs.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:02 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,372 times
Didn't intend to be mean, just gullible, I guess.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Didn't intend to be mean, just gullible, I guess.
I was not trying to imply you were being mean. My apologies if that is how I came across. I think anyone who is asking questions and trying to understand the issue is coming from a good place, and you are to be commended for doing just that. What I meant was that bathroom bills like HB2 and the others strike me as coming from a place of meanness, and I don't think that is a proper function of government.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Transgender is NOT a cross-dresser, so, no, a dude wearing a wig and heels is not necessarily transgender. A transgender person identifies as a person of the opposite sex, they feel like "a man born in a woman's body," or vice versa. It's also not the same as being gay, as sexual orientation and sexual identity are two different things. A transgender may or may not have their "original equipment," it depends on the extent of their transition, and some may choose to keep their original genitalia but otherwise fully transition (hormone therapy, surgeries, etc).

It is a complicated concept for many of us to understand, and the vast majority of people can be forgiven for not understanding. More information and education will be needed before this issue is really understood. However, I still think our public policy should at the very least not start from a position of meanness. Let's have some compassion and understand that some people are dealt a tough hand of cards that we may never fully understand, but that does not mean we should treat them like pariahs.
I think that transgender encompasses both transsexuals and transvestites.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I think that transgender encompasses both transsexuals and transvestites.
No, not at all. Read up on the issue. A transvestite is someone who dresses as someone of the opposite sex, but does not necessarily identify as the opposite sex mentally. Those are very different things.

A transgendered person identifies, represents, and intends to live their life as someone of the opposite sex permanently.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:59 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
No, not at all. Read up on the issue. A transvestite is someone who dresses as someone of the opposite sex, but does not necessarily identify as the opposite sex mentally. Those are very different things.

A transgendered person identifies, represents, and intends to live their life as someone of the opposite sex permanently.
I understand your point. What I am suggesting is that transgender is an umbrella term referring to anyone who is gender variant. That could be transsexuals, transvestites, or any other variation. I think that you are using the term transgender to solely mean transsexual.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I understand your point. What I am suggesting is that transgender is an umbrella term referring to anyone who is gender variant. That could be transsexuals, transvestites, or any other variation. I think that you are using the term transgender to solely mean transsexual.
I don't think transvestites are part of the larger umbrella. A man can dress like a woman and still consider himself a man and identify as such. RuPaul is an example. He is a gay man who lives his life as a man, but dresses in character as a woman and became famous for his female persona. I don't think he has ever identified himself as transgendered, although he is a transvestite at times. Contrast that with Caitlyn Jenner, who came out as transgendered and said had always felt she was a woman born in a man's body. She now identifies as a woman and lives her life that way. That's a big distinction, even if it is ephemeral, intangible, and perhaps hard to grasp.

Also, transsexual is not the same as transgender. Transsexuals are people who were born with chromosomal abnormalities (such as XXY) and have genetic, physical differences (I think the historical term for this would be hermaphrodite, although I don't know if this term is now disfavored).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area