Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 31,168 times

Advertisements

I am looking for free, (or cheap) overnight parking in Summit County, preferably year round and within 10 miles of the Dillon metro area. Forest service backroads, public lands, or any place private would be also preferred. Any mine claims by Montezuma?. I just need a place to park my subaru overnigt so that I can sleep in it without the police knockin on my window.

Option 2:
If any Summit residents in forested areas have space for private parking, I am willing to pay up to $50 per month to park overnight. I am very clean, do all my toiletry and bodily needs at the rec center, do all my eating and cooking in parks, and will only use the parking space to sleep in car. Restroom needs will be taken care of before I drive to parking space.

Please help a free spirited ski bum out, we're a dieing breed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 AM

447 posts, read 1,606,512 times
Just Camp......My friend did it the Entire summer last year, up and down Montezuma Road, Keystone Gulch Road......Just make sure that if you are using USFS land that you move every 14 days or they will ticket you.......and they do enforce that law

Old 04-24-2010, 05:17 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
Just Camp......My friend did it the Entire summer last year, up and down Montezuma Road, Keystone Gulch Road......Just make sure that if you are using USFS land that you move every 14 days or they will ticket you.......and they do enforce that law
A good friend has done that for several summers and the 14 day thing is the key.

However doing it in the winter at 9000 ft plus

Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 31,168 times
Thank you for the replies!

By "move" after 14 days, how far would I have to move in order to not be ticketed? A mile? 5 miles? Or just a few campsites away?

TY

Old 04-29-2010, 03:40 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,007 times
Get a good BLM map and you'll be good to go. Move a couple of hundred yards and you should be fine. RP

Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM

I would suggest you move to another campsite...not just the spot next to you.......Just drive to the next camping area and you should be fine....I don't think that there is a certain distance, like a mile or so.........just find 2 spots you like and alternate

Old 04-30-2010, 03:12 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsChocolate View Post
Thank you for the replies!

By "move" after 14 days, how far would I have to move in order to not be ticketed? A mile? 5 miles? Or just a few campsites away?

TY
The requirement is that you can only stay at one campground for 14 days maximum. So moving to another campsite within the same location will not meet the requirement. IIRC, the regulations allow you 14 days out of 30, so you can return to a campground at a later time in your rotation of sites. During the popular summer months, you may have to search around for a campground for a vacant campsite, as many will be filled to capacity with other folk staying their maximum 14 days. There's a reservation system which many people use to assure getting a site.

I've done a lot of camping in that region, and it can be pretty brutal conditions for a lot of months of the year ... September through May, with serious storms, winds, and cold temperatures. HIgh altitude and various upslope and downslope stormfronts create some extreme weather patterns, with a lot of localized storm cells. You can be in one valley in a clear day and the next valley over can be socked in with a nasty little storm ....

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 PM

If you camp on Montezuma Road or Keystone Gulch Road or Peru Creek Road, you won't have trouble finding a spot

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 17,026 times
Yeah, I'm going to need a night or two in this area in August. So what exactly do you do with your car? You just pull to the shoulder and that's it? Lock your doors and hike in a spell and set up your tent? Or are there places to pull off the road a little farther (I only have a passenger car) Are there campsites easily found (I realize not "developed", but places people have obviously camped)? What are the rules, really, and how can you tell whether it's private or public property? From what I can see, most of it is probably public, but there are those odd places ....

Old 06-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster64 View Post
Yeah, I'm going to need a night or two in this area in August. So what exactly do you do with your car? You just pull to the shoulder and that's it? Lock your doors and hike in a spell and set up your tent? Or are there places to pull off the road a little farther (I only have a passenger car) Are there campsites easily found (I realize not "developed", but places people have obviously camped)? What are the rules, really, and how can you tell whether it's private or public property? From what I can see, most of it is probably public, but there are those odd places ....
Montezuma Rd. is paved.....there are obvious campsites right along the road, private/no trespassing signs are prevalent in non-camping areas

Peru Creek (just before Montezuma near the top of Montezuma Rd) is another area that has spots along the road......this is a dirt road with potholes and a few very small rocks it is passible in a passenger car, It will give you a much better (away from town) feel than being on Montezuma Rd itself

Keystone Gulch is a lot more like the Peru Creek set-up only it is way closer in town and the upper portion of the road is actually in Keystone Ski area......all the camping is done below that

There are so many spots in Summit Co. wayyyy to many to list......have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado