Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 8,336 times

Advertisements

I'm a Colorado native lived in Denver 40 years. Other relatives live in Colorado Springs; I have lived in Fort Collins. There are some exotic critters here, but they are fun for you to research, not harmful.
No native scorpions in these areas. South eastern CO can be a different matter.
Black widow spiders, just be aware of the places they like to hide.
Don't move in next to a prairie dog village. They are very cute, and even necessary, but carry diseases transmitted via insects, especially plague. For those who think rabbits and squirrels are cute, they carry diseases also. So do goats. Wash your hands after touching any animal.
Brown recluse is extremely rare here.
Ticks are a problem, not so much lyme disease, but Rocky Mountain spotted fever. At least you can see these ticks easily to remove them or have them removed.
My mother did live near a natural park area in Colorado Springs and constantly killed rattle snakes -- little snakes, medium snakes and large snakes. She moved. Never saw any in Denver or Fort Collins, doesn't mean they can't be there. I've heard they can be found on the east side of the metro area. The nice thing -- they warn you. They are more common on the plains. If someone tells you there are bullsnakes, there could be rattlers.
Black bears, mountain lions and coyotes happen. Lots of pressure on their habitats is moving them in closer to humans. Be alert; the mountain lions seem to inflict the most damage on runners in the foothills and the bears just want your food! But in suburbs, keep an eye on your children and small animals, especially around dusk.
Can have roaches, the only place we had them was on the plains and we blocked areas around the pipes and they quit coming in.
Fleas are not as big a problem here. Mosqitoes carrying West Nile can be. The key is how cold it gets in the winter. When we have really cold winters, it wipes out a lot of these pests.
[url=http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/]Wildlife Species Home - Colorado Division of Wildlife[/url]
We really don't have a bug problem compared to wetter and hotter areas. If you don't believe me, check out New Mexico or Texas!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 20,219 times
Default Colorado Spider/Wild Animal Population? (Considering moving to Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs)

My husband and I are looking to relocate for his job within the next year and are considering Denver, Boulder, and Colorado Springs as well as some states on the northeast. We have both lived on the northeast our entire life, with the exception of a recent move to MI. Neither of us have visited the western U.S., either, so we have no idea what to expect in terms of what the area is like.

I have a serious fear of spiders, and while I never thought much of it before, I now work from home alone during the day and it's become a much more important matter. I've looked around the City Data CO forums and have seen people talking about the insect population, but unfortunately much of the information I've gotten has been contradictory so I'm hoping to get something a bit more solid.

Living in NY most of my life, I've never come across a single poisonous spider. Are there poisonous spiders in CO and if so are they often seen in homes? And what about spiders in general--what is the chance of finding more than the rare spider in one's home when taking the usual precautions? Do any CO residents find spiders in their home weekly during any particular season?

I've also read about coyotes/foxes/mice in CO. Is there an actual issue there? I have indoor cats who aren't allowed to go outside, but if they ever did, would there be a serious concern that a coyote/fox would harm them in the cities we're considering? Finally, I read in one of the forums people talking about mice often getting into their home. While I don't have a problem with mice, I certainly don't want to chance my cats killing any.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I really appreciate the help! Thank you!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:29 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
although it is very rare I got bit by a brown recluse here in dec helping a neighbor with frozen pipes and would not wish it on anybody. been in pain for 3 mos watching my back rot. there is no cure or anti venom,depends on the spider and how much venom. could take weeks or months to heal, for me it looks like months. I have been bitten by black widows many times and usually recover in less than a day but these brown recluses are another thing. again very rare although my daughter was bitten by one when 2 yrs old. We were to scared to go to the doctor as it looked like a burn at first and were scared social services would take her from us. but found a qualified doc who diagnosed it for us and said there is no proven treatment. I am in pain as I type but over the hill and healing. my daughter doesnt even have a scar but I will for sure

Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 PM

345 posts, read 913,959 times
I do not understand why people think CO is bug free. Is it the altitude or what?

Bugs are everywhere and out number people, to me they are not a big deal and they make bug sprays and etc. Most often they leave us alone, and will always be around.

In the suburbs I have seen/lived with:
ants, earwigs, black widows, moths, flies, mosquitos, wasps, daddy long legs, wolf spiders, jumping spiders, field mice, butterflies, praying mantis, garter snakes. When my neighbor would get them in her yard we knew by the scream and would go relocate them for her
**Oh we also had a nasty spider I would love to ID. It had a brownish/reddish coloring and it's butt was an opaque whitish color and they were mean. You try to squish it and it would get up on it's backlegs and come at you. We had them in Thornton alot but I have not seen them up here. Never found out what they were so if anyone knows please tell me.

In the country:
All of the above times 3. I hate turning over a piece of wood cause usually there are 4 or so black widows on it no garter snakes, we have bull snakes, -current neighbor fears them and he also calls me to relocated them, lol- praire dogs, grasshoppers, coyotes, red ants, shrews- to me they are so cute- voles, moles, etc

I have not seen:
ticks, fleas, scorpions, roaches, or bed bugs; but my sister had them at her apt complex in Denver.

We also lack the cool bugs, fireflies, really pretty colorful butterflies, little green inch worms, I might be crazy but I also like those loud bugs that go off during humid Summer days, cicadia?

So almost 16 years here I have seen lots of bugs, I am sure I missed a few kinds. I have been bitten a few times by those stinking red ants, no they are not fire ants, been stung by wasps, of course bitten by mosquitos but I am outside often and it is less then a dozen times total, well not the mosquitos those bite me a dozen times at once

Bugs come in, bugs are outside, they are just a part of life anywhere you live.
My cats kill any field mice that have come in suburbs or country and they are fine. They do not catch anything from them unless they were to eat them then the only concern is tapeworms.

**Par that is awful, I hope it does not take months to heal. I have heard their bite is pretty bad and thankfully I have never seen them here.

I would share a couple of funny snake stories (no one got bit) but I do not want to freak anyone out who has a fear of them.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
The most common poisonous spider in Colorado is the black widow. It is found pretty much statewide, and can be found in garages, basements, and crawl spaces. Occasionally, they will get in the living area of a home. Far less common, but far more dangerous is the brown recluse spider. As the name implies, they are reclusive, preferring things like wood piles and the like for a home. They are found in Colorado.

Rodents are common. Since a lot of Colorado's metro areas are in proximity to open spaces and wildlands, the animals found in those wild areas will make their way into "civilization." These critters include deer mice, prairie dogs, gophers, and ground squirrels. Deer mice are a preferred carrier of hantavirus, so caution should be taken if they are found in dwellings, outbuildings, etc. Prairie dogs can harbor bubonic plague, and several people in Colorado have died from the plague over the last couple of decades. Where there are rodents, there are their predators, as well. Coyotes can be seen just about anywhere in the state and, over the years, have pretty much lost their fear of being around human-inhabited places. Yes, they will attack, kill, and eat cats and small dogs given the opportunity. Even an occasional bear or mountain lion will make its way into residential areas, usually with tragic results for the animal. Other rodent predators like foxes are common, as are rattlesnakes--the latter especially common in the foothills of the Front Range.

All of that said, most native Coloradans enjoy sharing their space with wildlife and many of us resent the encroachment that human development has made on their habitats. Over my life, I've co-habited on the land with eagles, coyotes, hawks, foxes, lions, all kinds of rodents and rabbits, deer, antelope, and various snakes--including rattlesnakes. I've never been harmed by any of those critters and, for the most part, I enjoy having them around. As for the most dangerous critter (other than other humans) in Colorado, it is the lowly mosquito. While I have never personally known of anyone dying from snake bites, animal attacks, or spider bites in my lifetime of living in the Rocky Mountain West, I personally have known three people who died from West Nile virus from mosquito bites.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 AM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliC714 View Post

I've also read about coyotes/foxes/mice in CO. Is there an actual issue there? I have indoor cats who aren't allowed to go outside, but if they ever did, would there be a serious concern that a coyote/fox would harm them in the cities we're considering? Finally, I read in one of the forums people talking about mice often getting into their home. While I don't have a problem with mice, I certainly don't want to chance my cats killing any.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I really appreciate the help! Thank you!
I think maybe you're a little too afraid of everything natural. But to specifically answer your question above, I live in a townhouse community at the top of Austin Bluffs/Stetson Hills in COS, a very suburban area. There's hardly a week we don't see a fox in the community 2 or 3 times. Others have seen coyotes, I haven't in the 8 months I've been here. I've seen no snakes here in COS even while hiking, but I have run across snakes in downtown Golden and downtown Estes Park. I've seen no more spiders here than back in the Washington, D.C. area or NYS.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM

331 posts, read 990,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As for the most dangerous critter (other than other humans) in Colorado, it is the lowly mosquito. While I have never personally known of anyone dying from snake bites, animal attacks, or spider bites in my lifetime of living in the Rocky Mountain West, I personally have known three people who died from West Nile virus from mosquito bites.
"Statistically, a person's risk of contracting West Nile is low, and less than 1% of those infected develop serious illness from the virus. Those at highest risk for serious illness are the elderly and those with lowered immune systems."
- Source: West Nile Virus

You're probably pretty safe.

I'd be more concerned with the amount of bees flying around, and try to steer clear of spiders. My apartment in Denver had a lot of them, but luckily they weren't black widows or brown recluses. I was bit by a brown recluse on the face as a child, and still have a scar from where my skin started to deteriorate. I don't play around with spiders anymore since then; I kill them if they're in my home.

Coming from the east coast, you'll find far fewer bugs here than there. I went biking in Denver in the late summer, and passed through a couple swarms of gnats. It was a little annoying, but was nothing like biking through Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think maybe you're a little too afraid of everything natural. But to specifically answer your question above, I live in a townhouse community at the top of Austin Bluffs/Stetson Hills in COS, a very suburban area. There's hardly a week we don't see a fox in the community 2 or 3 times. Others have seen coyotes, I haven't in the 8 months I've been here. I've seen no snakes here in COS even while hiking, but I have run across snakes in downtown Golden and downtown Estes Park. I've seen no more spiders here than back in the Washington, D.C. area or NYS.
It's less that I'm "afraid of everything natural" and more that I have never lived in an area like CO, and would like to have as much information as I can before moving to a place that may not be suitable for myself. I love animals and I love the outdoors; I simply would prefer to not have unnecessary deaths occur and wanted to know whether other members were dramatizing their description of what CO is like.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliC714 View Post
It's less that I'm "afraid of everything natural" and more that I have never lived in an area like CO, and would like to have as much information as I can before moving to a place that may not be suitable for myself. I love animals and I love the outdoors; I simply would prefer to not have unnecessary deaths occur and wanted to know whether other members were dramatizing their description of what CO is like.
That's reasonable. Keep in mind, I'm from back East. Originally from western NYS, I ran into rattlers twice there. Then in Virginia I ran into copperheads multiple times out hiking.

My greatest fear here is mountain lions since I sometimes do "light" hiking here alone. And, after all, people have run into mountain lions where the trail goes under the road in front of the visitor center at Garden Of The Gods!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's reasonable. Keep in mind, I'm from back East. Originally from western NYS, I ran into rattlers twice there. Then in Virginia I ran into copperheads multiple times out hiking.

My greatest fear here is mountain lions since I sometimes do "light" hiking here alone. And, after all, people have run into mountain lions where the trail goes under the road in front of the visitor center at Garden Of The Gods!
Cougars tend to be more nocturnal and like to avoid people and noise. Few people will ever see them in the wild and most sightings are of large housecats and bobcats that people mistake at distance for a "cougar".

However they are out and about and while an attack is always a possibility, you are hundreds of times more likely to get killed by lightening or a rock fall and probably thousands of times more likely to get killed in a fall while hiking in Colorado than get attacked by a cougar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado