Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:17 AM

66 posts, read 409,141 times

Advertisements

I was chatting with a friend today and told her I was thinking of moving to Fort Collins Co. Her mom and dad used to live there and said that they would get wolf spiders and snakes in their house sometimes. I went to the Colorado wildlife home page just to read up on wild life encounters. You can tell by the name I'm a city girl and I don't know these things yet lol. On the website it warned of snakes and wolf spiders and other types of spiders finding their way in to your home when it starts to get cold. The site also said to make sure your house and basement is sealed well. Even so I'm sure a critter would find it's way in.

Is that really true? has that ever happened to you? I'm not worried about me finding them I worry about my cats. They would tear them up all over my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,321 times
City Girl,

I've lived in Colorado my whole life, and can tell you that we have very, very few encounters with spiders and snakes here. I had never even heard of a wolf spider before reading your post, but did look it up. When new areas are disturbed to put up new housing, critters that are very seldom seen outdoors may make their way into new homes for a while.

I don't know where you live now, but there's a good probability that you have far more bugs, spiders, and snakes wherever in the world you live than you'll find here in Colorado!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 AM

HI wing lady! I live in southern California. I see maybe 5 spiders a year where I live. If they are not too high up my cat rips them to shreds. I live in a well developed city so there isn't a lot of sitings of snakes and animals. I've seen 3 racoons in my life. I have seen about 4 possums. 2 were dead. That's it!

Where are you in Colorado?

Old 10-16-2006, 10:03 AM

66 posts, read 493,902 times
City girl,

You're getting freaked out over nothing - really.

I have seen two harmless garden snakes in my yards over the past 26 years. I have never heard of anyone around here having one get in their house unless they are keeping one in an aquarium for show.

As the weather turns colder in the fall, spiders will try and find a way indoors. I haven't seen too many yet, and our nights are getting down into the upper 30's and low 40's.

I haven't seen a really large wolf spider since '91, and it was in a new neighborhood around some redwood deck lumber. Scared the you know what right out of me. Fortunately, I haven't seen one since. I HATE SPIDERS, even little iddy biddy ones.

Stay calm. The weather is great, the communitys are safe, the schools are good, ugly bugs are for warmer and humid climates, and wildlife keeps to themselves.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 AM

HI Ncrea,
Thanks for the reply. I hate critters, but I' be ok if I found one. I was just thinking how gross it would be to have to clean up the mess. I have two hunters that live with me. They are boy cats and they have this competition when it comes to finding crickets, spiders etc... They play with it together and pull it apart. Sometimes they'll even eat it, but when they don't I end up cleaning the yucky mess. They would have a feild day with a snake. I was just curious. Thanks

Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 PM

15 posts, read 121,373 times
It's a good thing that you aren't moving to Maryland. Here's a wolf spider I found in my bathroom last year, it startled me when I stumbled in there, sick with the flu. Here's a picture my hubby took, warning! It's extremely graphic and scary: http://danspan.blogspot.com/2005_10_...n_archive.html (scroll down to the spider post).

spleen

Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I have been here just over 2 years, in Parker, from CA, and haven't seen a wolf spider yet. I have seen 2 5 foot snakes in my backyard, but I back to open space. The pros and cons. I have also seen families of deer and some foxes too. I would rather have the 5 foot bull snake then a disguisting wolf spider!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:53 PM

OMg Omg Omg Spleen. YUCK!!! Gross!!!

Thank you for sharing that pic though. I can't even imagine how freaked out you must have been to come upon that when you were already feeling awful. That picture has me so creeped out right now I keep looking under my desk for spiders lol.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 77,994 times
in southern california you need to watch out for black widows! there ever where. the city and country areas. i do remodles on homes and i find them hiding in the walls all the time. there hard to find. they hide real good. if they bite you they can put a person in the hospital. if they bite a small animal like a cat they could kill it. i have my house spayed once a month because of them.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:05 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
I get spiders in the house but never seen one here where I live. Used to get regular old garden snakes in between the siding and the house when I lived in Denver but nothing too scary.

Reptiles and snakes don't bother me but spiders...that's another thing entirely.

In my neighborhood there's a friendly fox that trotts along the sidewalk. I've seen coyote as well. Lots of raccoons, skunks, squirrels and field mice.

I have seen wolf spiders in Grand Junction though that and ear wigs. (get earwigs here too).

I don't spray though, I have my animals to think about so I stay away from chemicals. The shoe, fly swatter and newspapers are good insect "repellents" though. HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado