Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,192 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I live in Ny now and I am plainning to move out to Vail after i graduate College next year. I am not worried about a job because my uncle lived out there for 26 years and can get me in. I am just wondering what you all think of Vail or if there is any better place for a 22 year old who wants to live a snowboarding/biking/hiking, lifestyle??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,815,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredfest2 View Post
Hey all,
I live in Ny now and I am plainning to move out to Vail after i graduate College next year. I am not worried about a job because my uncle lived out there for 26 years and can get me in. I am just wondering what you all think of Vail or if there is any better place for a 22 year old who wants to live a snowboarding/biking/hiking, lifestyle??

Thanks
I am jealous because you are 22 ,you will be enjoying the outdoor lifestyle in one of America's top rated resorts..actually imo the best skiing in US..When i was about your age I moved to Aspen to meet girls,paraglide,mt. bike,snowboard and drink beer(lots of beer).. worked at a local outdoor sports place called THE HUB.. those were the days..now i'm fat,bitter and pale,and only come out at night--just kidding..Colorado high country is the best of life IMO,and Vail is one of the meccas for all cool outdoor stuff...does it get better than Vail?..that's subjective of course,but it's kind of like asking if living in Malibu would be ok and is there better surfing in LA County.?..

Last edited by Scott5280; 08-06-2009 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Vail's a great place. Absolutely beautiful. And centrally located, so you can easily reach other locations in Colorado.

Do you like living in small towns? Vail is really tiny. IF you are a city person, there's a good chance you'll find yourself getting bored there.

But if you are comfortable in a small town, then you'll love it.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,369,025 times
Get some while you can, before it all burns down.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
I lived there from 1999-2007 and yes I think it's a great place to live as a youngster and do all the outdoor activities. Also due to Vail being one of the more exclusive resorts/towns I think the earning potential for jobs is way better, especially tip based jobs.

When you are young and single and don't have any responsibilities it's the time to be in Vail. Trying to own a decent place to live there and have a good white collar job as a grown up adult is a different story.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,192 times
Quote:
IF you are a city person, there's a good chance you'll find yourself getting bored there.
Actually, I live about 5 hours from the city, I am in western Ny, and the town I live in is not huge but it certainly is not small. I love the small town feel and am ready to live it

Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Isn't the male-female ratio in Vail off the charts (58.4% male, according to the US Census)... which I imagine must suck, assuming you are straight?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Isn't the male-female ratio in Vail off the charts (58.4% male, according to the US Census)... which I imagine must suck, assuming you are straight?
Oh it does suck. I'd say if you are a single male in your 20's you're toast. It was probably one of the things about living there that was tough. I'd say the ratio is at least 3 men to every woman, maybe 4 to 1. The problem with all that is the women get it in their head they are a queen due to the overwhelming odds and hence become unbearable.

However, Vail has plenty of cougars, so if you are willing to go full cougar you can do well.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredfest2 View Post
Actually, I live about 5 hours from the city, I am in western Ny, and the town I live in is not huge but it certainly is not small. I love the small town feel and am ready to live it
Well the thing with Vail is during the summer and winter seasons there is plenty to do. Winter is probably more limiting because everything revolves around skiing. However summer has much to do with a lot of big city activities for such a small town. There is probably something to do everyday in the summertime whether it's concerts, restaurants, hiking, biking, rafting, festivals, etc.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:56 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Other than Aspen, I can't recall a place where there were many more aggressive women than Vail. For a lot of them, it's "party central" away from home and if you're male and available ... especially if you have a place to stay in town ... you're on their eligible list.

That includes a wide ranging group from college coeds to local wives to very affluent tourists. I know of many marriages that didn't survive the pressures of Vail .... as well as stable long-term relationships.

One of the first condo's I had the use of up there, owned by a Denver lawyer ... he commented that most of his neighbors used their places as a "home away from family" meeting place. I later came to find out that was his use of the place .... as was his brother's condo there, too. And down a level from their floor, another client of mine the same ... discovered by his wife one day when she made a visit to prepare the place for an out of state family member's use that weekend ... and discovered hubbby's business trip destination. They all found their new "friends" when out and about in town, in the bars, or on the ski slopes.

Judging from the party levels I've seen from some of my tenants, I don't think you'd have any problems finding a social life in Vail ... even if the statistics suggest an uneven playing field of locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado