Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,816,809 times

Advertisements

I always thought meeting women in Vail was like shooting fish in a barrel back in the 90's when I would visit...sometimes it could be hit or miss.. I had friends that lived in Beaver Creek during the summers,and worked at the old Coyote across from the BC Gondola..while it was very touristy,there was always attractive available girls in town from everywhere..an average evening up there was often legendary within my circle of friends ..the bars would just give way to house parties around 2:00 am. And of course who can forget "The Club" on Bridge Street..btw friends don't let friends drink and bike..I visited the Gore on more than one occasion head first after some extreme events.If it sounds like I'm simply objectifying women in those statements,than you have to understand I was coming from a place of a guy in his early twenties..things of importance at that stage in life can be slightly different.. as I get older,Vail now means a weekend of golf,a meal at Sweet Basil, Ore House, nice hike,and handing over my credit card to my girlfriend...Vail can feel somewhat fishbowl like after a while IMO, but it sounds like it would be a great fit for OP,at least for the moment.

Last edited by Scott5280; 08-07-2009 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:34 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,688,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Other than Aspen, I can't recall a place where there were many more aggressive women than Vail. For a lot of them, it's "party central" away from home and if you're male and available ... especially if you have a place to stay in town ... you're on their eligible list.

That includes a wide ranging group from college coeds to local wives to very affluent tourists. I know of many marriages that didn't survive the pressures of Vail .... as well as stable long-term relationships.

One of the first condo's I had the use of up there, owned by a Denver lawyer ... he commented that most of his neighbors used their places as a "home away from family" meeting place. I later came to find out that was his use of the place .... as was his brother's condo there, too. And down a level from their floor, another client of mine the same ... discovered by his wife one day when she made a visit to prepare the place for an out of state family member's use that weekend ... and discovered hubbby's business trip destination. They all found their new "friends" when out and about in town, in the bars, or on the ski slopes.

Judging from the party levels I've seen from some of my tenants, I don't think you'd have any problems finding a social life in Vail ... even if the statistics suggest an uneven playing field of locals.
Oh yeah definitely a lot of aggressive women, but I'd say that is more in the 35+ range. I was directly propositioned on the job many times including the removal of clothing, but again tending to be slightly older women.

In the 20's age range it's pretty tough. The numbers of women available just isn't there in that age group. I know with my employer we had maybe 150-200 employees and maybe at best 1/3 were female and most were taken.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,214,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Oh yeah definitely a lot of aggressive women, but I'd say that is more in the 35+ range. I was directly propositioned on the job many times including the removal of clothing, but again tending to be slightly older women.

In the 20's age range it's pretty tough. The numbers of women available just isn't there in that age group. I know with my employer we had maybe 150-200 employees and maybe at best 1/3 were female and most were taken.
We've apparently traveled in different circles in the Vail Valley .... I encountered more college to mid-20's females than the older group.

Way too many very friendly young women around on the lifts wanting help as to where to ski on the mountain .... OK, maybe they were just trying to cage a free lunch on the hill, but it always seemed like there was so much more in the offing .... and sometimes ....

You know they're way past aggressive when a 20-something trophy wife sitting alone at Blu's for breakfast starts a conversation about how she likes Vail but then gets around to how she hates that her physician husband is always at work or on call and she's been left alone way too many days/nights. That's when I mention that I'm there to meet my wife for breakfast by the creek when she finishes her AM run ... even during all those years when I wasn't married but spent a lot of prime time in Vail. I may be social, but I'm not into sticky entanglements and a soap opera edginess of life.

I know that when I've stayed at one of my duplexes rented out to a number of young folks ... that they always seem to have a lot more women around than guys. A few years ago, I was remodeling a unit after a long term tenant moved out, and I had the 17 year old son of a friend up there to help ... and he thought he died and gone to heaven with all the women around that evening. I was exhausted and went to bed around 10 ... and found out in the AM that he'd "partied" all night with several of them. I found that out when he was too hung over to work the next day and I put him on the bus back to Denver ... and a couple of the girls came by later in the day to find out where he was in town so they could get together again. They seemed pretty disappointed that he wasn't going to be around ....

Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
We've apparently traveled in different circles in the Vail Valley .... I encountered more college to mid-20's females than the older group.

Way too many very friendly young women around on the lifts wanting help as to where to ski on the mountain .... OK, maybe they were just trying to cage a free lunch on the hill, but it always seemed like there was so much more in the offing .... and sometimes ....

You know they're way past aggressive when a 20-something trophy wife sitting alone at Blu's for breakfast starts a conversation about how she likes Vail but then gets around to how she hates that her physician husband is always at work or on call and she's been left alone way too many days/nights. That's when I mention that I'm there to meet my wife for breakfast by the creek when she finishes her AM run ... even during all those years when I wasn't married but spent a lot of prime time in Vail. I may be social, but I'm not into sticky entanglements and a soap opera edginess of life.

I know that when I've stayed at one of my duplexes rented out to a number of young folks ... that they always seem to have a lot more women around than guys. A few years ago, I was remodeling a unit after a long term tenant moved out, and I had the 17 year old son of a friend up there to help ... and he thought he died and gone to heaven with all the women around that evening. I was exhausted and went to bed around 10 ... and found out in the AM that he'd "partied" all night with several of them. I found that out when he was too hung over to work the next day and I put him on the bus back to Denver ... and a couple of the girls came by later in the day to find out where he was in town so they could get together again. They seemed pretty disappointed that he wasn't going to be around ....
Well there are definitely women around especially with the tourist trade, but in terms of 20 something single women that are actually available for a relationship that lasts longer than an evening I'd say the pickings are slim.

I'd say Vail caters to the older population more as those are the only people that can really afford to either vacation or live there properly. Of the younger 18-30 year olds they turn over quite a bit due to the seasonal work, hence there isn't much stability in that age group.

I remember before I left Vail there was an article in about the imbalance in males to females and how many younger men had gone "cougar" instead of dealing with 20 year olds.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-09-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,194 times
if we could venture from the female aspect and focus on the town, and things of that sort that would be great : ) can you guys tell me about the town, if it is a good place to live. lots of things to do year round. Jobs, things like that?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,214,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredfest2 View Post
if we could venture from the female aspect and focus on the town, and things of that sort that would be great : ) can you guys tell me about the town, if it is a good place to live. lots of things to do year round. Jobs, things like that?

Thanks
I think it's a great place to live if you are into outdoor activities and love the mountains.

Jobs ... typically, lots of seasonal work for the winter months. Summer time in a bit slower, but still a lot of seasonal work, too, especially if there is construction going on that year.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredfest2 View Post

Thanks
Really depends what you are looking for and what you want. What's good for one person might not be for someone else. For me it was great for 7 years until it reached the point of where I didn't feel I was getting value for the money I had to expend every month to live there.

Most of the jobs revolve around the tourist business or second home ownership. Many of them are seasonal so hours and work gets cut in the offseason.

Is it a good place to live? Yes if you are a multi-millionaire and can afford a decent place to live. Otherwise it is tougher. It's not possible to have a suburb standard of living with a detached house and a yard on the standard income there. My sister and future husband live in a $400k condo that you can spin your arms around in the living room and practically touch the walls on either side.

Things to do year round. In the winter you have the winter sports from november to april. Town is dead from april 15-june 15. From June 15-Sept 15 it can be busy at times with the various summer sports. Sept 15-Nov 15, town is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado