Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,381 times

Advertisements

I'll be vacationing in CO next week and am looking for some good places to eat in those towns - specifically GJ and Cortez since we will be spending the night in those towns (visiting wineries and Mesa Verde). We are taking the Million Dollar highway and will be looking for a lunch spot along the way.

Cheap, low-key and very casual are what I'm looking for. Not looking for chains.

Any suggestions? Type of food doesn't really matter - I'm open.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
While some might consider a chain if there are more than one location I can highly recommend one place. They have about 6 locations all in Colorado with one in Durango. If your going on The Million Dollar Highway you will go thru Durango. So try Beaujo's Pizza. Totally awesome pizza unlike any other
Save the crust for dessert with the honey provided on the table. You can get a map with their location in Durango on their website.

There are a few really good places in Ouray for breakfast. I can not remember the name of one we really like but it is right downtown on the main street at a corner location.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,967 times
WW Peppers on Horizon Drive in Grand Junction has nice dinner food. It's a little on the higher end side, but not outrageous. The restaurant in the Day's Inn at the same exit is great for breakfast and lunch, and their prices won't break your budget.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,898 times
Suehiro Japanese restaurant on Main St. in Grand Junction if you enjoy sushi.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If your going on The Million Dollar Highway you will go thru Durango. So try Beaujo's Pizza. Totally awesome pizza unlike any other

There are a few really good places in Ouray for breakfast. I can not remember the name of one we really like but it is right downtown on the main street at a corner location.
Thanks! Pizza is always good. I think we can hold out until Durango. Hmmm...breakfast in Ouray and then pizza in Durango....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
WW Peppers on Horizon Drive in Grand Junction has nice dinner food. It's a little on the higher end side, but not outrageous. The restaurant in the Day's Inn at the same exit is great for breakfast and lunch, and their prices won't break your budget.
Thanks! I think the hotel we are staying in is on Horizon Dr.

I say I want casual because I drive a convertible and I am not bringing a lot of luggage, so dressier clothes for finer dining won't be coming with me this trip. I'm spending time in the mountains so warm clothes trump!
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Suehiro Japanese restaurant on Main St. in Grand Junction if you enjoy sushi.
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't care for sushi, but I appreciate you making a suggestion.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 AM

99 posts, read 315,501 times
We like the True Grit Cafe in Ridgeway. It is on the site where the movie with John Wayne was filmed. Great food.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
We like the True Grit Cafe in Ridgeway. It is on the site where the movie with John Wayne was filmed. Great food.
Awesome! Thanks! I've seen that movie a few times.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM

228 posts, read 594,126 times
In Cortez: Shiloh's is a great little steakhouse, IMO hands down the best overall restaurant in town- when it's open, that is. They tend to keep pretty irregular hours, from what I recall. Nero's has very good Italian food, also definitely one of the best options in town. And if you're into Mexican, Francisca's downtown is terrific, authentic, and the portions are monstrous. Those are my top three.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
This a great restaurant. I would also suggest another one in Ridgway for breakfast, but I can't remember the name of it (dangit)! Anyways, it's pretty close to the True Grit, just one block to the north of the main highway through town. Great place that the locals love!

In terms of GJ, I lived there for over 6 years, and struggled to find really great restaurants. Here are a few suggestions: take them with a grain of salt! For breakfast, I highly recommend The Crystal Cafe. This is the only place I would eat breakfast in GJ! If you are craving pizza, Pablo's Pizza is the best. If you enjoy ethnic food, Nepal Restaurant serves great Indian, but don't be in a hurry. They are very slow! You could also try the Thai place (can't remember the new name, they changed it right when I moved) off of Hwy. 6&50, which is located in a strip mall complex by the Wal-Mart (don't worry though, it's not a chain). It was always my favorite Thai place! If you are looking for a brewery, Kannah Creek is the best IMO. A lot of people like the Rockslide downtown, but their beer isn't very good (always gives me a headache) and the food is mediocre (I also worked there and the owner is a jerk).

I don't have any recommendations in Cortez, but I stayed at the lodge in Mesa Verde and the restaurant there is very good! It's a bit pricey, but they have some true SW foods on the menu (prickly pear cactus dip comes to mind). Enjoy your vacation!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I wouldn't recommend the restaurant in the Day's Inn. Reminded me of a Village Inn or Denny's. Not worth it IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado