Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times

Advertisements

You won't be eating at Crystal Cafe. It was seized and its assets sold for non-payment of sales and state employee withholding taxes. See article here:

Auction turns restaurant assets into cash

Another sign of the downward spiraling economy.

As for cheap, you probably won't find it anywhere south of Montrose--if you want anything decent. Like the saying goes, food can be good, cheap, or fast. You can pick any two:

If you want good food cheap, it won't be fast.
If you want good food fast, it won't be cheap.
If you want cheap food fast, it won't be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,694,182 times
[quote=jazzlover;10069021]You won't be eating at Crystal Cafe. It was seized and its assets sold for non-payment of sales and state employee withholding taxes. See article here:

[quote]

That's a bummer ! It always seems that the good restaurants in GJ don't last.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
[quote=delta07;10069128][quote=jazzlover;10069021]You won't be eating at Crystal Cafe. It was seized and its assets sold for non-payment of sales and state employee withholding taxes. See article here:

Quote:

That's a bummer ! It always seems that the good restaurants in GJ don't last.
True. But there is still one place in Grand junction I eat at twice a week, breakfast or lunch. It's the Raintree restaurant just off North Ave. near U-Haul. Food is very good, prices IMO are reasonable. I know the owner personally, a real good guy. Most of the waitresses there have worked there for a few years, maybe more than few. To me, THAT tells me about the establishment itself. If the food is good, people frequent the establishment. A steady clientele is in there. It's not hoity-toity, just a nice place to have a meal. Once you get past Sam's Club and go west on hwy. 50, you'll find virtually everything there is franchised.

Quick note on hwy. 50, another place I stop in is the South Side Diner, heading southeast on hwy. 50 just past the Alco discount store. Good breakfasts!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-02-2009, 03:21 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
I used to love the True Grit in Ridgway, but a few weeks ago on vacation, I had maybe the worst paid-for meal in my life there (right up there with my own lousy non-cooking).
I think the breakfast place a block away is called Kate's.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,887,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I used to love the True Grit in Ridgway, but a few weeks ago on vacation, I had maybe the worst paid-for meal in my life there (right up there with my own lousy non-cooking).
I think the breakfast place a block away is called Kate's.
I have to agree (well except for the own cooking part as I'm an excellent cook). Had lunch at True Grit a couple weeks ago while in Ridgway. Service was horrible, food was bad, and expensive. The place was not really all that crowded but the high school aged wait staff just seemed to be a bit overwhelmed.. Never got a refill of my ice tea, and had to wait a really long time for the check. I was really disappointed, as that was the only negative thing I found in Ridgway.

If you're headed on HWY 50 on the south (I think) end of Delta there's a small place called Butch's which used to be GrandMa's. Amazing food and lots of it, the wait staff are very nice and friendly, prices are right.

Camp Robber in Montrose is amazing, some of the best food I've had in a long long time.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,047,776 times
I just got home from the Kannah Creek Brewery, good pizza and beer!

For Asian food we like the Zen Garden on North Ave across from Walmart.

For Mexican we like Aztecas in Hwy 50 in Orchard Mesa.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:37 PM

18,226 posts, read 25,880,114 times
Good choices eofelis! All individually owned, Kannah Creek packs them in for lunch, never been there for dinner.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,788,147 times
Grand Junction: There's a Japanese restaurant on the corner of Patterson and 12th. It's a lower-end restaurant but the food is really good and pretty unique. I can't remember what it's called but it's next door to Blockbuster and the Alehouse, so if you google or punch in your GPS, you'll find it.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,478,177 times
I can't remember how pricey it was but the restaurant at the Lodge in Mesa Verde was very good and if you get a table by the window you have fantastic views over the park. Don't order the fish tho - it was very dry.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,007,741 times
There are no real outstanding eateries in Grand Junction that I am aware of. I pretty much agree with delta07s assessments. My favorite eatery is The Kannah Creek Brewery. The pizza is better than Pablos IMO, and their own beer on tap is the best beer in town. To get there from Horizon, just head toward downtown on Horizon. Get on 12th at the circle and stay on 12th for a mile or two until you see Kannah Creek on your left. Like delta mentioned, the Nepal restaurant downtown has great Indian food, but the service is just like being in India. Be prepared to wait. The clock is just an ornament in India.

Ain't it the truth when jazzlover says:
If you want good food cheap, it won't be fast.
If you want good food fast, it won't be cheap.
If you want cheap food fast, it won't be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado