Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 PM

12 posts, read 48,122 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will eventually be relocating close to Gunnison, but for the next few years while we prepare, we'll be visiting our house for a few weeks. I'd love to be able to find out where the locals' favourite places to go are (shops, restaurants, hardware stores, parks etc). Is there anything you have to go to Montrose or Grand Junction to get? How about farmers markets?
Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 08:31 AM

12 posts, read 48,122 times
I guess theres not many folk on here in Gunnison! Well, I'm just trying to get a feel for where to go for what, so if anyone has some gems to share about montrose or maybe the larger towns SSE of Gunnison, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Default Hi

Lived in Colo a few years in 90s and travelled around quite a bit in my job.
Gunnison is nice but isolated, very cold, and expensive housing considering very limited job market, etc. However, it does have a WalMart probably only because of the college there. Big reservoir (Blue Mesa) west of town if you like fishing and such.
Montrose is 2-3 times as big, less cold, and not too bad a trip to "big" western slope town of Grand Junction. From Montrose it is also pretty easy to get down to Telluride. Very quaint and a little off the beaten path, so a little less busy than the other ski towns.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,521 times
Default moving to Gunnison in three weeks myself

Hello Zebedee,
I will be moving to Gunnison myself in about three weeks. I am taking my small sons with me. I spent three days there in August on a job interview and I have to say, I was very very impressed. The town is clean, the folks very friendly and helpful.There is a rich cultural and artistic vein running through the valley as well as a sense of fellowship and community. So much to do and see and the landscape is mesmerizing. It is my understanding that you can get all you "need" in town but anything fancy or unusual you may need to get in Grand Junction, Montrose or Denver. Shopping is not a priority there. In fact, the pace is very very slow and low key. Not a lot of "hurry up and get there" attitudes in Gunnison.
I asked the locals about racial diversity and they said that there was a tremendous racial tolerance. However, while I was there for the three days I saw only one Hispanic woman and two African American men.
I was told by families in the areas that the schools are strong academically but they also are very athletically focused and that skiing and other recreational activities are part of the curriculum.
I am constantly reminded that the winters are torturously cold but beautiful and the summers are breathtaking.
Hope that gives you a little information. And I hope my information is accurate since I don't actually live there yet! LOL

Chicklebean

Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 11,521 times
Default Oh Yeh

"Garlic Mike's" seems to be the local restaurant of choice. A coffee shop called "The Bean" is a favorite local spot and I know there are a handful of other local eaterys and brewerys that the locals frequent. I was able to get some magazines at the Quaility Inn and at the chamber of commerce in Crested Butte that really gave me a good idea of some places to go and things to see.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Default Gunnison

Well husband just received job offer in Crested Butte, we will live in Gunnison. Anyone have any info. As far as schools and area info.
Thanks

Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Nea
Do a search--Gunnison was recently discussed.
If you decide to move there, make sure you bring warm clothing.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I know thanks, but I am looking for more info that weather, although that is helpful!!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I haven't lived in Gunnison for over 30 years, but I still have friends who do. From what I know, the schools in Gunnison are still pretty good. Though Gunnison definitely is suffering from the "resort" mentality that grips most of western Colorado, it still does have some ranching industry. It hasn't totally forgotten its heritage and small town values. Crested Butte, on the other hand, has become a refuge for the multi-millionaires that got chased out of Aspen by the billionaires.

Real estate is overpriced in Gunnison, just like the rest of the Western Slope. One of my friends there built a house in the 1980's--figures on "cashing in" within a year at about a 6x profit. The way he put it, "If someone is dumb enough for pay that much for it, I'll take the money and leave."

Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Default Gunnison...

Cold, long way from anywhere, and I hope hubby will be making very good money. House prices in Gunnison are a bit ridiculous, and with only a pop of about 5700, there ain't alot to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado