Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: Aspen, buy a home, education, dental hygienist, diversity, home owners insurance.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:18 PM

8 posts, read 16,791 times

Advertisements

I'm Kristyn, first off...HELLO!! Nice to be here...secondly, my fiance and I are getting married in September of this year and are looking to move to Colorado. Now I have done some research, not to mention my visiting Aspen every year since I was 12 to go snowboarding with my dad...and I am looking for the best place for us to buy a home, work, myself to finish my education, and eventually raise a family. I am 24 years old and work as a vet. tech currently going to school to be a dental hygenist, my fiance is 27 and a superb sous chef here in Flori-duh. We are very easy-going, love our dogs(3 boxers), and have a passion for snowboarding in the winter. No kids(yet anyways). I have been reading some previous forums, and have heard many good things about Denver and Colorado Springs. Does anyone have an opinion on Boulder? or Longmont? We are looking for somewhere close to jobs, will travel of course, but would prefer something not a long haul away...don't mind the city, as long as our dogs can have a yard to run and play..and just want to know if anyone has any opinions or ADVICE to give us. We currently live in Palm Beach, FL and HATE it....we both were born and raised here and are absolutely sick of it. I hear people who visit complain about the people here and we have had to deal with them our entire lives. We really feel like we don't fit here for the mere fact that we feel like strangers in our own backyard. We want to be around people like ourselves, happy to be alive and have the clothes on our backs, happy to spend time with each other and enjoy the outdoors and who don't judge people by what they wear or DRIVE, and actually get to know people. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM

Default no replies?

hmm..

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM

125 posts, read 453,995 times
Denver is a good place because it's the best of all worlds. The mountains are close by, and the city is large with a lot of opportunities, spacious back yards, suburban areas, reasonable cost of living.

Boulder is a nice place too. It's a college town, a lot of young people, an "alternative" living type of place, meaning lots of organic stores and restaurants, etc. Higher cost of living, close to Denver, high tech jobs.

Colorado Springs is nice. Much larger than Boulder. High standard of living. Clean, lots of high tech jobs. It's more conservative and less culturally diverse.

Probably any of them are pretty laid back places to be. If I were to live in colorado I would prefer Denver because I like bigger cities but at the same time I can be 30 or 40 miles from fishing in a nice trout stream. plus it's the cheapest and most diverse of the three.

Last edited by mmposting; 01-18-2009 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconko View Post
hmm..
There has been so much already posted on these topics. Look around a little and come back with questions.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,478,638 times
Everywhere could be a decent fit, methinks. I'm still p.o.ed by Denver as it has BSL laws on the books.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,194,487 times
The one person I know who moved here from Florida hates it and complains a lot because he can never where shorts and flip-flops or just hang out on a beach. I have no way of knowing if you would feel that way or not.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 AM

26,250 posts, read 49,156,904 times
People from FL love it here. See these posts:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/651710-post3.html
This person saved a fortune in taxes and home owners insurance just by moving here from FL.

People wear flip flops here all the time. I was in shorts yesterday and will be again today. See this post from just a few days ago:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/7030851-post42.html

Lots of people here from FL love the change, the dry air, the friendly people. One such person on here who comes to mind is Averie-Jay, from FL, who has posted a ton of pix to this site and loves being here.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,916,590 times
Mike brings up a good point.......No humidity is AWESOME!

If you are serious about moving to Colorado, spend a $1000 and visit the area for a week. This is what me and my wife did a year ago, and we love Colorado!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,301,970 times
Pretty much anyone can fit here...if you hate cold and wind, you may not like it so much.

But the real question is whether or not you can make a living here right now. I would not recommend throwing caution to the wind and assuming that a chef and a veterinary tech can wander in, quickly find employment in a very tight and declining job market, and survive well enough to enjoy life here. The tourism/restaurant sectors are taking major hits, and I suspect that visits to the vet are dropping off right now, too. Being broke in Colorado is not likely to be an improvement over being bored in Florida.

I highly recommend you not try it unless and until you have employment lined up, a budget based on COS cost of living that says you can make it, and then only with enough actual cash savings in hand to cushion a setback.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
The one person I know who moved here from Florida hates it and complains a lot because he can never where shorts and flip-flops or just hang out on a beach. I have no way of knowing if you would feel that way or not.
Ha, isn't it weird how that works...you leave something you like for something you don't...where as we don't really go to the beach much, or wear shorts...ever. We love the snow, love the cold and the summers there, but HATE the swampy sweaty humid summers here. Winters aren't bad, can get into the 40's but what's the point in being cold if you can't do something with it...like snowboard for example..so that being said I feel more confident in our decision to move being the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado