Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Colorado: Aspen, buy a home, education, dental hygienist, diversity, home owners insurance.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 PM

8 posts, read 16,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Pretty much anyone can fit here...if you hate cold and wind, you may not like it so much.

But the real question is whether or not you can make a living here right now. I would not recommend throwing caution to the wind and assuming that a chef and a veterinary tech can wander in, quickly find employment in a very tight and declining job market, and survive well enough to enjoy life here. The tourism/restaurant sectors are taking major hits, and I suspect that visits to the vet are dropping off right now, too. Being broke in Colorado is not likely to be an improvement over being bored in Florida.

I highly recommend you not try it unless and until you have employment lined up, a budget based on COS cost of living that says you can make it, and then only with enough actual cash savings in hand to cushion a setback.
Well we are not looking to move just yet, probably september or so, but I completely agree with you on the employment status and am very happy someone touched on it. Of course we would not move unless we had jobs lined up...and/or a cushion to fall back on. I have made enough mistakes in my life learning that lesson. Although I work as a vet tech right now...employment for me is varied. I have done many different jobs in my life and am very easy to take a good employment opportunity if it arises, so be as that I fit what they are looking for and it pays well. Also hoping that spirits will be brighter and the future looking more positive from the recent election, hence more jobs. i defenitely appreciate your input. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,990,062 times
Wink Ah, the choices

My first thought was that if you define Colorado by Aspen, CO then likely to be sorely disappointed in front range cities such as Denver, CO. But you mentioned money (or your unconcern) and Aspen is defined by that to a large degree. Aspen the and the entire Roaring Fork valley is expensive, but if preferring it you could live there. To be comfortable you and your fiance would likely have to be business owners rather than working for someone else.

If this not important, then perhaps you would be happiest somewhere along the front range. If moderately ambitious any of the larger towns should suit you, just a question of that you prefer. With the possible exception of Boulder, CO that is. While there are some wealthy pockets in Denver and elsewhere, Boulder is uniformly expensive. Also a rather nice place if you are liberally inclined and enjoy a beautiful setting with direct access to the mountains. It may be worth it to you to find a way to live there. Others on this forum would consider you crazy. Depends what you like. Boulder is somewhat unique unto itself. You might read many opinions here, and a visit may easily convince you one way or the other.

Colorado Springs is rather at the other end of the spectrum, politically. Christian and conservative, although hardly the Bible Belt. Like Boulder it enjoys a beautiful setting next the mountains, if perhaps not as enticing. It is also a significantly larger town. Boulder is hardly small, but their open space planning has allowed it to remain a separate island from all the suburban sprawl spreading out from Denver. If it were me and I decided or needed to work in Colorado Springs, my home would be Manitou Springs, CO. Directly adjacent to Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs is just within the mountains and a world unto itself. Artsy, liberal and just weird. Also beautiful. More expensive as well, but not as much as Boulder.

There are also certain areas of Denver you might like. I'm not all that familiar with the city, but if so inclined you should find something to your liking. Also, in some cases, this a less expensive option. Then also you might consider one of the many outlying suburbs, such as Broomfield, CO, which can offer a certain value for your money.

Ft. Collins, CO may suit you quite well. Home to Colorado State University, it offers some of the aspects of Boulder at less cost. It is often ranked quite highly in national surveys, and with reason. A pleasant place, and not as boldly weird as Boulder.

Another consideration in all this is to what extent you wish access to the mountains. If to ski this basically means using I-70, and then the proximity of the town you choose to this interstate will matter. Not to mention you'll probably wish at times you were back in Aspen, if and when in some weekend traffic jam. There are other options of course, such as the smaller and quainter ski area of Eldora just outside of Nederland, CO, with fairly ready access from Boulder. Or perhaps you don't care, in which case good access to Rocky Mountain National Park is more than sufficient, with Boulder, Ft. Collins, Loveland and Longmont, CO all offering ready access. Loveland and Longmont, by the way, are nice in their own way but not as cosmopolitan as either Boulder or Ft. Collins.

Boulder has a lovely park system, both within town and into the hills where they have nice hiking trails. Good to know, but in case you haven't guessed by now these many options may take a little investigating of your own.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconko View Post
I'm Kristyn, first off...HELLO!! Nice to be here...secondly, my fiance and I are getting married in September of this year and are looking to move to Colorado. Now I have done some research, not to mention my visiting Aspen every year since I was 12 to go snowboarding with my dad...and I am looking for the best place for us to buy a home, work, myself to finish my education, and eventually raise a family. I am 24 years old and work as a vet. tech currently going to school to be a dental hygenist, my fiance is 27 and a superb sous chef here in Flori-duh. We are very easy-going, love our dogs(3 boxers), and have a passion for snowboarding in the winter. No kids(yet anyways). I have been reading some previous forums, and have heard many good things about Denver and Colorado Springs. Does anyone have an opinion on Boulder? or Longmont? We are looking for somewhere close to jobs, will travel of course, but would prefer something not a long haul away...don't mind the city, as long as our dogs can have a yard to run and play..and just want to know if anyone has any opinions or ADVICE to give us. We currently live in Palm Beach, FL and HATE it....we both were born and raised here and are absolutely sick of it. I hear people who visit complain about the people here and we have had to deal with them our entire lives. We really feel like we don't fit here for the mere fact that we feel like strangers in our own backyard. We want to be around people like ourselves, happy to be alive and have the clothes on our backs, happy to spend time with each other and enjoy the outdoors and who don't judge people by what they wear or DRIVE, and actually get to know people. Thanks a bunch!
I was all ready to recommend Durango until I got to the last sentance. LOL But I would still check it out if I were you. It sounds like a good fit to me unless you are determined to live in a huge city.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
That's right. People in Durango are proud about the clothes on their back.

Whereas in Branson, you've got about 6000 people who serve the 300,000 tourists that go there to watch Sojee Tobutchee and the Bald Knobbed hillbillies and the superior cuisine at the Sadies Sideboard where the waitress will take your daughter's picture! And then try to sell her a copy of that picture for no less than 20 bucks!

You'll be lucky to walk away with the shirt on your back but hey, them Missouians aren't proud! The Show Me The Money State!

Ski Missouri!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,187,854 times
Quote:
Ha, isn't it weird how that works...you leave something you like for something you don't...
Well, I don't think he's here by choice, I think he was stationed here at the Academy, or something. To each his own, but I love it here. Two pieces of advice: 1) Visit first, as long and as often as possible 2) If you do move here, plan on getting out on the trails and up into the mountains every week, or even daily, if possible, even in the winter. You'll be a lot happier that way. Nice views only go so far. It's like people who move to Hawaii and never go to the beach... They quickly tire of the tourists, traffic, and COL, and move away.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
My first thought was that if you define Colorado by Aspen, CO then likely to be sorely disappointed in front range cities such as Denver, CO. But you mentioned money (or your unconcern) and Aspen is defined by that to a large degree. Aspen the and the entire Roaring Fork valley is expensive, but if preferring it you could live there. To be comfortable you and your fiance would likely have to be business owners rather than working for someone else.

If this not important, then perhaps you would be happiest somewhere along the front range. If moderately ambitious any of the larger towns should suit you, just a question of that you prefer. With the possible exception of Boulder, CO that is. While there are some wealthy pockets in Denver and elsewhere, Boulder is uniformly expensive. Also a rather nice place if you are liberally inclined and enjoy a beautiful setting with direct access to the mountains. It may be worth it to you to find a way to live there. Others on this forum would consider you crazy. Depends what you like. Boulder is somewhat unique unto itself. You might read many opinions here, and a visit may easily convince you one way or the other.

Colorado Springs is rather at the other end of the spectrum, politically. Christian and conservative, although hardly the Bible Belt. Like Boulder it enjoys a beautiful setting next the mountains, if perhaps not as enticing. It is also a significantly larger town. Boulder is hardly small, but their open space planning has allowed it to remain a separate island from all the suburban sprawl spreading out from Denver. If it were me and I decided or needed to work in Colorado Springs, my home would be Manitou Springs, CO. Directly adjacent to Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs is just within the mountains and a world unto itself. Artsy, liberal and just weird. Also beautiful. More expensive as well, but not as much as Boulder.

There are also certain areas of Denver you might like. I'm not all that familiar with the city, but if so inclined you should find something to your liking. Also, in some cases, this a less expensive option. Then also you might consider one of the many outlying suburbs, such as Broomfield, CO, which can offer a certain value for your money.

Ft. Collins, CO may suit you quite well. Home to Colorado State University, it offers some of the aspects of Boulder at less cost. It is often ranked quite highly in national surveys, and with reason. A pleasant place, and not as boldly weird as Boulder.

Another consideration in all this is to what extent you wish access to the mountains. If to ski this basically means using I-70, and then the proximity of the town you choose to this interstate will matter. Not to mention you'll probably wish at times you were back in Aspen, if and when in some weekend traffic jam. There are other options of course, such as the smaller and quainter ski area of Eldora just outside of Nederland, CO, with fairly ready access from Boulder. Or perhaps you don't care, in which case good access to Rocky Mountain National Park is more than sufficient, with Boulder, Ft. Collins, Loveland and Longmont, CO all offering ready access. Loveland and Longmont, by the way, are nice in their own way but not as cosmopolitan as either Boulder or Ft. Collins.

Boulder has a lovely park system, both within town and into the hills where they have nice hiking trails. Good to know, but in case you haven't guessed by now these many options may take a little investigating of your own.
Well thank you very much! I definitely appreciate how much detail and thought was put into this post! We have been looking in the area most recently of Longmont as you said and Fort Collins. We are planning to take a trip out there in June for 2 weeks to look at prospective homes and see the summers there. Like previously said, we have both seen Colorado's winters, but not experienced the summer there (though I've heard its beautiful and by no comparison nicer than Florida's summers). We don't have money coming out the wazoo so probably something within our price range and close to jobs and still have the best of the mountains and the city as well as being able to finish my schooling sounds like Fort Collins and has officially been put on my list to visit when we come in June. Thanks so much for your post!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Well, I don't think he's here by choice, I think he was stationed here at the Academy, or something. To each his own, but I love it here. Two pieces of advice: 1) Visit first, as long and as often as possible 2) If you do move here, plan on getting out on the trails and up into the mountains every week, or even daily, if possible, even in the winter. You'll be a lot happier that way. Nice views only go so far. It's like people who move to Hawaii and never go to the beach... They quickly tire of the tourists, traffic, and COL, and move away.
Well in his case I guess that's a bummer, but we are visiting..one trip for definite in June for 2 weeks to look at prospective homes, and trying to get out there in April or so, depends on what work will let me do! Well we know what the winters there are like and we love them, but have yet to experience summers, though I've heard they're beautiful and much nicer than Florida summers Im sure.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:58 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,187,854 times
The summers are extremely awesome here, afternoon t-storms notwithstanding. But, shhhh, don't go around telling folks that, if our harsh, bitter cold winters, and snowfall in mid-June keeps 50 million Floridans, Texans and Californians (of which I myself was one) from moving here, then most of us would prefer to keep it that way.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM

125 posts, read 453,694 times
Colorado is just awesome. Every single part of Colorado is great to visit, from durango and Pagosa Springs all the way up to Granby, Rocky Mountain National Park.

And as for living, I personally would love to live in Denver, with Boulder and colorado Springs as second choices.

For me, Denver would be ideal because I'm 50% city boy and 50% mountain boy. Best of both worlds.

I'm currently in process of applying for jobs in Denver. I've been told the high tech job market is good there.

My aunt lived for 20 years in Denver and later retired in Golden.

Quote:
Well we are not looking to move just yet, probably september or so, but I completely agree with you on the employment status and am very happy someone touched on it. Of course we would not move unless we had jobs lined up...and/or a cushion to fall back on. I have made enough mistakes in my life learning that lesson. Although I work as a vet tech right now...employment for me is varied. I have done many different jobs in my life and am very easy to take a good employment opportunity if it arises, so be as that I fit what they are looking for and it pays well. Also hoping that spirits will be brighter and the future looking more positive from the recent election, hence more jobs. i defenitely appreciate your input. Thank You!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
That's right. People in Durango are proud about the clothes on their back.

Whereas in Branson, you've got about 6000 people who serve the 300,000 tourists that go there to watch Sojee Tobutchee and the Bald Knobbed hillbillies and the superior cuisine at the Sadies Sideboard where the waitress will take your daughter's picture! And then try to sell her a copy of that picture for no less than 20 bucks!

You'll be lucky to walk away with the shirt on your back but hey, them Missouians aren't proud! The Show Me The Money State!

Ski Missouri!
It just so happens that Sadie's is one of my favorite restaurants. They have mashed potatoes and brown gravy to die for. As for photographs. Since most tourists forget to pack their brains *and* their cameras, sometimes having photos to remember the trip by is nice.

At least here in Branson, everybody does not have the attidute that they are better than you because they drive a hummer and do yoga and drink herbal tea at the bars. I could not handle the pretentiousness of Durango!

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado