Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,481,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I've driven around downtown Pueblo several times now, and after seeing all the empty buildings and store fronts, I think one of the best things that could happen is downsizing downtown...by perhaps 25%...concentrating businesses in other sections...and then opening up the freed blocks to building residential housing, etc.
Downtown Pueblo is not the east side, just so you know. That being said yes downtown has some issues that date back to the economic collapse that hit Pueblo in the early 80's when the steel industry collapsed and CF&I went belly up (its now Rocky Mountain Steel Mill and doing great), the Pueblo Army Depot closed and the Alpha Beta Plant closed. When that happened the entire commercial real estate market in Pueblo just collapsed. In fact in the mid to late 70's Pueblo was getting highrises, the Wells Fargo Building is one that I always take pictures of, and more were on the drawing board but the rest got canceled. Now the vacancy rate in downtown is so high Pueblo does not report it but to be honest I would not be surprised if its over 30% as I know entire buildings that sit empty. The one that comes to mind is the historic Colorado Building that has a theater but even the Wells Fargo Building and the Thatcher Building have a high vacancy rate.

You suggest downsizing downtown by about 25%? Sure that would make it busier but its not possible as it would mean tearing down historic buildings and I would be against any effort to do that. Plus the infrastructure is not set up for residential houses in downtown and they are already building urban housing such as lofts, condos, apartments, town houses etc. Here is a picture of two proposed buildings that will have retail on the first floor and condo/ apartments on the upper floors. They will both be located by the Riverwalk.

They are both 5 stories but personally I like the one on the bottom more as its has more glass and I tend to like buildings like that. Also the one on the bottom is being proposed by Denver developers which shows Pueblo is once again attracting outside investment and that is good.

Since they really cant downsize downtown the next best thing is to cause downtown to grow to fit its original size. That is why the city has spent millions of dollars on the convention center/Riverwalk and it has attracted private money like it was attended with the PBR headquarters, AT&T call center etc. Now when we get the state grant (I am optimistic because I hear Pueblo and Aurora are the two most likely to get the grant in April) you will see over 100 million dollars invested in downtown between local and state as well as private money. The city also is working on other projects to help downtown. One is a "Art Space" in the historic Colorado buildings. It is something that they have in large cities where its a center for artists to live and work. What it does is make the city they are in a mecca for art for the entire region and I think this would really be good for downtown Pueblo as there is nothing like this in Colorado Springs and I think even Denver but I could be wrong.

Since I am told I don't back up my work here is a article on it from the Colorado Springs Independent:

Groundwork set for new Pueblo art space

Pueblo is one step closer to getting a community art building, one that could include a theater and artist studios. Artspace, a nonprofit real estate development company based in Minnesota, visited Pueblo this February to see if the town was a feasible option for a "potential mixed-use arts facility project." Turns out, Pueblo is a great candidate — the team even selected a few locations that could be renovated — and now other studies will be conducted to establish what the space could include. ArtsMarket, a Montana consulting firm, will perform the analysis, likely taking four to six months to complete.

The link: Groundwork set for new Pueblo art space | IndyBlog (http://www.csindy.com/IndyBlog/archives/2011/06/14/ground-work-set-for-new-pueblo-art-space - broken link)

There are other things going on including fixing the major streets in downtown and the construction of the new $52 million 5 story state court is underway.

Downtown Pueblo is in the middle of a renascence and I can see a difference already but wait just a few more years and I think it will take the state by surprise and will once again be what it was in Pueblo's hay day, the early part of the 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
It's Rampart supply. They are a local plumbing wholesale supply company. They have branches in Colorado Springs and Denver as well. They go back a long time in the Springs.

I was thrilled to hear they opened up in Pueblo, especially in this economy. Of all the plumbing supply houses, Rampart was always my favorite.
I have wondered what they were. Its nice to see that building being used again after it sat empty for sooo long. I wish then success in Pueblo.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hollah! City of Squallah!

There's some renovation going on just east of Glendale on 4th that looks promising.

There's some tool supply place or something called Rampart in the old Rainbow Bread building on Chester and 4th.

You've got Tote Gote, J&Js meats, Vazques which replaced Aldolfos and is pretty good, another takeout mom&pop Mexican restaurant just east of there that is darned good, and a Mexican Food grocery store there just east of Fountain and 4th... the Chop Shop was right there.... Grizzly, RIP.

Then there's a really nice little takeout Mexican food place just south and east of 4th and Troy across the street from a Loaf n Jug that has really good gorditas (forget everything you ever knew about Taco Bell) and they have authentic local stuff like crispy pork feet and other stuff I can't pronounce. Then across the street from there... on the north side of 4th, is a really good radiator shop.

The east side has a few hidden gems for sure.

But I'd like to give a shout out for the Mesa and Blende area just south of here on Santa Fe road or Business 50 as you get further east. Another thread for another day.
The east side has some good qualities. To be honest I always forget about how many local restaurants Pueblo has as I get in my routine of where I go. I really need to step outside the box and try all the other places Pueblo has to offer as I am lucky to live in a city with so many options.

One last thing. I love Double J meats.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 PM

50,908 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Old does not necessarily equal historic. There are a lot of historic buildings in Pueblo. There are also a lot of old, dilapidated buildings. There's a huge difference.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Old does not necessarily equal historic. There are a lot of historic buildings in Pueblo. There are also a lot of old, dilapidated buildings. There's a huge difference.
Fair point. I have no problem with them tearing down old ugly buildings. A good example is the old health department which was town down and will be the location of the glass 5 story retail/ condo building or the site of the new court house. I can list more buildings that I would like to see torn down as well one of which is the old central states roofing building on 4th street, talk about a eye sore. I would just not support making part of downtown suburban residential as I think it would ruin the area and take away any chance downtown has on continued redevelopment that we have seen in the past 10 years. Now I fully support dense urban living being built there and there has been some being built. Re-developing a downtown just takes time as it is a large area to fill in but once it does, and it will, I think it will really shine. I mean look how long it took Denver to redevelop its downtown and they have the power of a large MSA to back it up as well as being the states capitol.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 AM

50,908 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Fair point. I have no problem with them tearing down old ugly buildings. A good example is the old health department which was town down and will be the location of the glass 5 story retail/ condo building or the site of the new court house. I can list more buildings that I would like to see torn down as well one of which is the old central states roofing building on 4th street, talk about a eye sore. I would just not support making part of downtown suburban residential as I think it would ruin the area and take away any chance downtown has on continued redevelopment that we have seen in the past 10 years. Now I fully support dense urban living being built there and there has been some being built. Re-developing a downtown just takes time as it is a large area to fill in but once it does, and it will, I think it will really shine. I mean look how long it took Denver to redevelop its downtown and they have the power of a large MSA to back it up as well as being the states capitol.
Perhaps we are in some agreement here. Make no mistake, I look at the historical buildings that were torn down in Colorado Springs (e.g., the Burns Opera House)...just a sin. And I have noticed some wonderful historic buildings in downtown Pueblo (e.g., what's the hotel right near the museum?). But some of the blocks with almost all empty, dilapidated buildings give Pueblo a sense of decay. There's a balance. Perhaps housing is best in that area...of that I'm not sure...but there are parts of Pueblo I felt very unsafe in, and it was mostly due to the decay.

I'm very impressed with what they've done in downtown Golden, downtown Littleton, and downtown Boulder.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we are in some agreement here.
I tend to be a urbanest just not a total urbanest. The reason is I do think that tech parks and industrial parks have a place in a community and I am ok with some sprawl as I understand many people like to live in a residential setting. That is why I am a advocate for developments like Pueblo Springs Ranch with the Pueblo Tech Center (PTC). I just think that cities are judged on how well their downtown is so a key to a thriving community is a thriving downtown. That is why I harp on Pueblo and make sure we do all we can to make downtown the best it can be. I say the same thing about Colorado Springs but it comes across as anti Springs and even though I admit at times I am anti Springs when I talk about how to improve their downtown I am saying that as if I was a Springs resident and what I would want to see done.

Quote:
Make no mistake, I look at the historical buildings that were torn down in Colorado Springs (e.g., the Burns Opera House)...just a sin.
I like some of the highrise's Colorado Springs has especially the Wells Fargo Building, its my favorite highrise in southern Colorado, but overall when I look at Colorado Springs I think of missed opportunities. One being tearing down historic buildings like the Opera house and the historic Antlers Hotel and second not locating the baseball stadium and the World Arena there. Personally I think if they would have done that the Springs downtown would be really impressive possibly like a mini downtown Denver. That is exactly what I want to see in downtown Pueblo by 2020.

Quote:
And I have noticed some wonderful historic buildings in downtown Pueblo (e.g., what's the hotel right near the museum?).
I think you are referring to the Vail Hotel. Its now a senior home but personally I think it would make a great hotel again now that downtown is growing with more tourists.

Quote:
But some of the blocks with almost all empty, dilapidated buildings give Pueblo a sense of decay. There's a balance. Perhaps housing is best in that area...of that I'm not sure...but there are parts of Pueblo I felt very unsafe in, and it was mostly due to the decay.
This can't be downtown so I think you are referring to the east side here and if so there is a reason why you felt very unsafe. It is unsafe. To be honest it is Pueblo's version of 5 points in Denver. They have gang issues and I have heard more then one horror story about someone being attacked while walking in that area at night. I don't think its as bad as 5 points in Denver as I do have friends who live there and I don't have a problem going to pick them up even at night and I do go to some of the local business. However I would never live on that part of town and I always highly recommend anyone live anywhere but there if they are moving to Pueblo. To be honest this is not just a Pueblo issue as any large town has a part of town that is more rough. So I think it goes with the territory of living in a relativity large city and not a small town. FYI I consider any city over 100,000 people to be relatively large and I am not referring to suburbs as you can have suburbs with 100,000 people but no bad area.

Quote:
I'm very impressed with what they've done in downtown Golden, downtown Littleton, and downtown Boulder.
I was impressed with Golden and I have not been to downtown Littleton. However I am not impressed with Boulder at all. Don't get me wrong the mall they have is cute and I like how its walkable but I was just in Boulder last month and it feels like a small town of under 50,000 people not a thriving college town. I mean they complain about 5 story buildings and act like its for the environment. Sorry but having a view of the mountains, while cool, is not any better for the environment. I think they have gone to extreme on the urbanism and in the end hurts the county as it just causes sprawl outside the city limits in their ex burbs.

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-04-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado