Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:22 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times

Advertisements

I may be coming out for a look around (CS area) and would like advise on the best starting point for river rafting. Which companies are good. I understand that there are different categories/levels; I'm a moderate swimmer, have never done this and want to see some action but certainly not life threatening . Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
There are tons of rafting companies here in Canon City. It's 38 miles SW of COS. You can choose to do any level you want (3,4,5) just let them know. Here are just a few: Raftmasters....Whitewater Adventure Outfitters...Echo Canyon River Expeditions.
There are more rafters here than anywhere in the country.
I'd call and check prices. There are too many packages to list!
Have fun!!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks a bunch!! I have wanted to do this for so long - it's on my "bucket list". Thanks again for your help. Wondering if 1 company provids a better experience than others? I have gotten on many of their email lists so I get alot info but like all businesses, some just get by and others are great.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
We've got a little growing thread with this topic right here. It may have pertinent comments to your questions as well. Sheridan seems to know the commercial companies pretty well. I never ran on a commercial raft before, but we doused our share of them with water as we went rafting by them.

I think they are typically safe and conservative, compared to us anyway. We had people on our raft who wanted to flip, and flip we did. I swam for about 10 minutes and that was enough for me. Too many people get killed in the Arkansas to be wanting to swim it. Your goal should be to stay in the raft, right? If you do swim, you better be geared up and ready for some cold water temps. I always went on or near the 4th of July and it may be even faster this time of year with the outside heat. But I doubt the water is any warmer and after about a 4 minute swim you better be out of the water or you're done.

If you want to be the safest, be on an oar boat. If you're daring, in shape, and have good experience, there's always a kayak. 8 good paddlers and a guide who wants to "Go for it" has always been fun to me. I love Browns Canyon.

Have fun.

Oh, in the Arkansas it's not a matter of how good you can swim. It's a matter of how good you can hold your breath and keep your head from smashing a rock. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's been my experience.

Flashforward to MN2CO: I don't do so well with the search unless I go advanced and put the search down and then the state and or sub-state city forum. Then again, it's easier to search things after the fact, like when you can add a poster's user name as well. I suppose practice makes perfect, but I have a ways to go myself."

Last edited by McGowdog; 07-27-2008 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Thousands of years ago into the future...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 AM

Hey, thanks - I searched for "river rafting" and got nothing so thanks for the link!!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 AM

Echo or RaftMasters seem to be the choice around here! A bunch of my relatives just went with Echo a few weeks ago.
White Water Bar and Grill is a fun place to stop after you've finished (it's in Hwy. 50 across from Royal Gorge Bridge. Good food and views!
The river has been extremely high this year, and fast!! They had shut down rafting in the Royal Gorge Bridge the weeknd my relatives were here (too fast!). I think it's all open now. That part is in the 5's so, you can get out before that part if you want.
Hold on, ......that's my advice!
You'll have fun for sure!!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:41 AM

90 posts, read 262,541 times
We rafted with Raftmasters out of Canon City the last week in August last year and went on a 4+...and it was amazing!! The guide was great too, we got lucky with a guide that was a civil engineer graduate from CU. Take the Royal Gorge train before you go on the raft if you have the time...you will see rafters from the train ...building the anticipation factor. Don't pay extra for sitting in the cars though, you will want to be out in the open air on the flat cars snapping the camera. On the raft...no way to take pics...just listen to your guide and paddle! Have fun!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:11 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Yeah, paddle! Sounds like good advice on the train. I heard some friends who took a train to California say they got their money's worth watching rafters along Moon River section (of the Colorado) as they headed west into Utah. They got to see moons and all kinds of stuff!

Right turn, left turn, forward paddle, and if you want to spin in circles down the rapids, left side back paddle and right side forward paddle! That's fun too. That's what we always did when we went under the bridge in the Gorge.

Anybody want to see some Buckskin Joes pics?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Yeah post em"!!
I know a couple that lives above the store in Buckskin Joes, they close up the gates and keep up the place for their rent!! They scare off people who get in "after hours". Strange as it seems, I think it would be fun!
They heat their place with wood stoves and, it is kind of a "ghost town" in the winter! No neighbors and such!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:15 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
I used to love rafting then I got into whitewater kayaking now I use sit on top style kayaks and here is a photo link to pictures of my fishing rigged Cobra Marauder. Please feel free to D.M. me about this or other similar boats. They are real user friendly and you don't get into arguments about how and where to paddle with the other folks in the boat. Islands in the rivers and channelized river beds are great. You take the high road and I'll take the low road and I'll get to the bass hole before you !

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - Pimped Out Ri...

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - pics of stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: