Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 01:27 PM

111 posts, read 131,964 times

Advertisements

Looking to camp for two weeks in Aug/Sept timeframe with our popup camper (Jayco Eagle 10UD). Right now, I'm thinking that we'll make a base camp in three different locations in CO: Estes Park, Salida, and Montrose. Looking for decent (definitely don't need 5-star) campground suggestions that must have electric hookup. Would like a nice view if possible. But, to be honest, we might not be in the campground all that much. We plan to do lots of day trips to other towns to check out the areas as part of our retirement location reconnaissance trip, and to do some hiking while we're there.

Estes Park - campgrounds inside RMNP do not have electric hookup.
Elk Meadow Lodge & RV Resort - we stayed there last Sept. It was decent enough, very close to RMNP entrance, and the elk came to visit us nightly (we were there during rutting season - very cool)! I don't know about the definition of "resort", but we have nothing to compare it to.

Salida - never been to Salida, so I have no idea.
Wilderness Expeditions RV Park - I saw this one on a video, and it seemed pretty nice. Thoughts?
Four Seasons RV Park - I saw this one on a video also, and it seemed pretty nice. Thoughts?
Other suggestions?

Montrose - never been to Montrose, so I have no idea. Looks like there are lots of options, though.

Not sure if it's ok to suggest specific campgrounds in this forum, so please DM me if it isn't. Any help is much appreciated!

TIA,
Eric
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 01:44 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBabula View Post
Looking to camp for two weeks in Aug/Sept timeframe with our popup camper (Jayco Eagle 10UD). Right now, I'm thinking that we'll make a base camp in three different locations in CO: Estes Park, Salida, and Montrose. Looking for decent (definitely don't need 5-star) campground suggestions that must have electric hookup. Would like a nice view if possible. But, to be honest, we might not be in the campground all that much. We plan to do lots of day trips to other towns to check out the areas as part of our retirement location reconnaissance trip, and to do some hiking while we're there.

Estes Park - campgrounds inside RMNP do not have electric hookup.
Elk Meadow Lodge & RV Resort - we stayed there last Sept. It was decent enough, very close to RMNP entrance, and the elk came to visit us nightly (we were there during rutting season - very cool)! I don't know about the definition of "resort", but we have nothing to compare it to.

Salida - never been to Salida, so I have no idea.
Wilderness Expeditions RV Park - I saw this one on a video, and it seemed pretty nice. Thoughts?
Four Seasons RV Park - I saw this one on a video also, and it seemed pretty nice. Thoughts?
Other suggestions?

Montrose - never been to Montrose, so I have no idea. Looks like there are lots of options, though.

Not sure if it's ok to suggest specific campgrounds in this forum, so please DM me if it isn't. Any help is much appreciated!

TIA,
Eric
If you are going as far as Montrose, make the final leg to Ouray. You may even like it more than Estes Park.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
If you are going as far as Montrose, make the final leg to Ouray. You may even like it more than Estes Park.
Here's what I'm thinking......for now:

Near Montrose:

Between Salida and Montrose, we'll take a quick visit to Gunnison.

From Montrose, we'll go to Ridgway, Ouray, then Silverton.

From Montrose, we'll also go to Delta, Hotchkiss and Paonia.

From Montrose, we'll also go to Delta, Orchard City and Cedaredge.

We may also think about checking out Telluride (just for fun, not as a possible place to move to), Grand Junction, Fruita and Palisade.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:58 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:

Near Montrose:

We may also think about checking out Telluride (just for fun, not as a possible place to move to), Grand Junction, Fruita and Palisade.
If you are going to Gunnison, drive the extra 30 minutes to Crested Butte.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Yep

Old 02-08-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Near Montrose:

If you are going to Hotchkiss and Paonia, check out Crawford especially around Needle Rock. Pretty cool area. Joe Cocker’s, the classic rocker, huge former estate is on the north side of the rock. Cute, tiny town that may actually fit your needs.

In Cedaredge, drive up on the Grand Mesa, then down the other side to Mesa and Colbran, then over to Palisade and Grand Junction. Spectacular drive.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I was thinking Crested Butte would likely be out of my price range. But, it does look like a nice place to visit! I'll have to look into it a bit more.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I was thinking Crested Butte would likely be out of my price range. But, it does look like a nice place to visit! I'll have to look into it a bit more.
It likely is out of your price range, many of the places on your list are, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t see some of the most spectacular scenery in the West while you are here.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:47 PM

6,776 posts, read 9,332,326 times
You might want to consider Ridgway State Park, south of Montrose, as your “base camp” for that part of Colorado. Even though it’s not a private campground, it offers electric hookups.

I’ve also camped at the Ouray KOA and it was fine in terms of the amenities and restrooms, but the sites are VERY close together, so you are really crammed in there.

I do most of my camping in primitive campgrounds and/or I boondock on public land. But, I’ve been to the two campgrounds I just mentioned.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
If you are going to Hotchkiss and Paonia, check out Crawford especially around Needle Rock. Pretty cool area. Joe Cocker’s, the classic rocker, huge former estate is on the north side of the rock. Cute, tiny town that may actually fit your needs.

In Cedaredge, drive up on the Grand Mesa, then down the other side to Mesa and Colbran, then over to Palisade and Grand Junction. Spectacular drive.
Thanks for the tips! Will look into that. Looks like driving from Montrose to Cedaredge, to Grand Mesa, down to Mesa, then Colbran, then Palisade, Grand Junction and Fruita, then back to Montrose is a lot of driving in one day! We'll have to get an early start that day, for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado