Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 23,624 times

Advertisements

Since my last post was highjacked, i will try again.....

I have a lifted offroad popup camper that is capable of going anywhere my 4x4 lifted truck can. My family ONLY camps off the grid, away from others, in remote locations. We are moving from CO to AZ and was wondering if anyone knew any good SECLUDED spots to camp. NO AMENITIES, NO PEOPLE, NO CAMPGROUNDS/HOOKUPS ETC.... remote camping only. Looking for privacy, solitude, and beauty.

Thanks!

Mac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 06:02 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMAC1 View Post

I have a lifted offroad popup camper that is capable of going anywhere my 4x4 lifted truck can. My family ONLY camps off the grid, away from others, in remote locations. We are moving from CO to AZ and was wondering if anyone knew any good SECLUDED spots to camp. NO AMENITIES, NO PEOPLE, NO CAMPGROUNDS/HOOKUPS ETC.... remote camping only. Looking for privacy, solitude, and beauty.

Thanks!

Mac
The kind of place you are describing can be found along the Mogollon Rim between Flagstaff and Payson. I've camped up there many times on just about ANY road off the highway. No people, no amenities, no developed campgrounds, no nothing. And the roads into the back country are pretty good too and not necessarily 4-wheel types. Mostly used during hunting season but you won't have that worry this time of year. There might even be some new/improved roads from logging jobs. I took a camper van up in there a few times but generally just tent camped. It's beautiful country and you'll enjoy all the solitude, peace and quiet. Never had any problems with wildlife either although there's a fair chance you'll see elk and/or deer, mornings and evenings. I doubt you'd be able to have a campfire though. Good luck!

Also, you may be able to find some good maps if you check online for Forest Service info..

Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
AZDesertBrat had a nice post there. I'd recommend you just go to a bookstore and buy a BLM map book, there is more area in AZ like you want than can be explored in a lifetime.

Have fun man.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times
Here's my tent camping spot. Just don't take it on Memorial Day and I'm fine with it

34°50'18.70"N 111°23'31.41"W

Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 35,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The kind of place you are describing can be found along the Mogollon Rim between Flagstaff and Payson. I've camped up there many times on just about ANY road off the highway. No people, no amenities, no developed campgrounds, no nothing. And the roads into the back country are pretty good too and not necessarily 4-wheel types. Mostly used during hunting season but you won't have that worry this time of year. There might even be some new/improved roads from logging jobs. I took a camper van up in there a few times but generally just tent camped. It's beautiful country and you'll enjoy all the solitude, peace and quiet. Never had any problems with wildlife either although there's a fair chance you'll see elk and/or deer, mornings and evenings. I doubt you'd be able to have a campfire though. Good luck!

Also, you may be able to find some good maps if you check online for Forest Service info..

Hey AZDesertBrat or anyone who could give me advice. I will probably take your suggestion of the Mogollon Rim for seclusion. But I am not a camper at all. A friend and I were just looking to make a random escape from doldrums of the Valley.

So I was hoping to go somewhere secluded where I could have a nice time for just a day trip and a stay overnight. Anywhere I could drive a 4cylinder Dodge Caravan and any essentials I really should have?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkChoclatPasion View Post
Hey AZDesertBrat or anyone who could give me advice. I will probably take your suggestion of the Mogollon Rim for seclusion. But I am not a camper at all. A friend and I were just looking to make a random escape from doldrums of the Valley.

So I was hoping to go somewhere secluded where I could have a nice time for just a day trip and a stay overnight. Anywhere I could drive a 4cylinder Dodge Caravan and any essentials I really should have?
Since you're not a camper are you looking for a motel/resort type of place? If so you might try Kohl's Ranch. I believe it's now a timeshare but they still rent rooms by the night. It's 20 miles east of Payson on Hwy. 260 and sits out there, pretty much, by itself but Christopher Creek is just up the road and they have some nice cabin rentals as well. And restaurants. Kohl's Ranch has cabins right on Tonto Creek and if you're a fishing enthusiast I've seen some really nice Trout pulled out of there. The hatchery is just a few miles upriver and a neat place to visit as well. Beautiful forests all around and quiet.

I worked at Kohl's Ranch for six years, before it became a time share, but I'm pretty sure it's not changed much. You might Google it to find more current info. Also Google Christopher Creek. I think you'd like the area.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,415,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Here's my tent camping spot. Just don't take it on Memorial Day and I'm fine with it

34°50'18.70"N 111°23'31.41"W
I punched that into google maps, how did you manage to find this place, just driving the back roads?

I noticed there are multiple small lakes, and mormon lake, nearby, any within a reasonable distance, that you would be comfortable leaving your camping gear behind to go fishing?

Old 07-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I punched that into google maps, how did you manage to find this place, just driving the back roads?

I noticed there are multiple small lakes, and mormon lake, nearby, any within a reasonable distance, that you would be comfortable leaving your camping gear behind to go fishing?
Went up last year with a friend of mine who was there for a trail building event with the forest service. Marked it on my GPS and returned again this year. I love this spot. We've been the only ones that far up the trail to camp. Haven't seen a trailer make it up there yet but then again I haven't seen an offroad trailer. Mormon Lake is still a ways away...not far distance wise but the roads are 20mph max until you hit Lake Mary Road. The trail by camp does get a lot of traffic during holidays with offroad vehicles but if you were to camp 100 yards from the trail noone would even know you were there. I did find a small lake/pond about a mile south of the site that I plan on fishing next time.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkChoclatPasion View Post

Not being a camper with no gear and wanting seclusion is not a great combo. I would highly suggest bringing someone with some outdoor skills at least the first time. Call it overkill but even if I camp for two nights it takes me a few days to get prepared...get maps together...plenty of water food...etc. The Arizona wilderness has such a network of trails and roads you can easily get lost. And this time of year is not when you'd like to be lost for a few days with only a days worth of food and water.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMAC1 View Post

Thanks!

Mac
Flagstaff area - "Lake Mary Road" (its actually a highway between Flagstaff and Pine / Payson)

There are a LOT of secluded areas - some adjacent to Lakes (Lake Mary and Mormon Lake), some adjacent to small streams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona