Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 13,118 times

Advertisements

Wow! The last few responses were amazing! Thank you Bovine I like the fact that city leaders are taking a realistic approach to the growth of Trinidad. It seems that Trinidad will succeed if it continues pushing forward in alternate venues while attracting people who aren't dependant on local businesses for employment or plan on adding to it by opening up a commercial venture. After the school year ends, I will definitely be spending a few weeks in Trinidad - maybe I'll run into Sunset
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM

930 posts, read 1,654,391 times
If you are able to have two incomes (from home and teach) I think that would be really beneficial for the communities. While I can't speak to how difficult it may be to find work in the rural areas, I know that it is very hard for those areas to find and keep teachers because of the lower salary. If someone was able to teach at that area and able to absorb the lower salary, that's wonderful because the schools would be able to get an experienced teacher who may be able to stay more than a year or two. As said, it would not be an easy job, but students in those areas need stability, and having a teacher come for a year or two does not help.

There's been talk over the past few years about how to attract and retain teachers in the rural parts of Colorado, and the majority of the discussion goes to income.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:52 PM

352 posts, read 797,478 times
A bit more about the CO Space To Create initiative. Trinidad is the Demonstration Project; other communities are lined up to come after...

https://coloradocreativeindustries.o...ger_122619.pdf

Old 03-07-2020, 12:56 PM

Working from home is becoming more popular, and cities are becoming more expensive, so I see a lot more people eventually moving to smaller towns where life is more affordable. Small towns will attract people who realize life is more than just worshipping money and accumulating things you don't need and can't afford. What's the point in having an expensive house and vamped up car when you're stuck working double-time to just barely make things meet and only spend 6-8 hours in it to wash and sleep? Hell, that's some high quality "motel living".

I found some properties on realtor that had a 1500-3500 sq foot home on 10-30 acres for less than 400k which in my area would cost at least 850k++++. Plenty of room for horses and chickens! The houses in town are older and smaller, but around 100k - not bad. Small towns are hurting now, but with us becoming more reliant on tech and the work from home trend, with time small towns may become meccas for independent self-starters who want to escape from the crazy rat race in big towns. I like how Trinidad is embracing art and trying to revive itself. That would be another element that would make small-town living more interesting. Plus, the proximity to the new state park, fishing, and NM - think I'm sold on this area. Can't wait until May!

The Space to Create Initiative is very unique. It'll be interesting to watch the project grow.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-07-2020 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 03-07-2020, 05:40 PM

914 posts, read 2,205,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelaundry246 View Post
I found some properties on realtor that had a 1500-3500 sq foot home on 10-30 acres... Plenty of room for horses and chickens!
Before you put down a deposit, please do yourself a favor and investigate Colorado water use laws. Unless the property comes with its own deeded water rights (unlikely) it is not legal to water livestock without a "domestic use" permit - which generally requires 35 acres or more. See https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...mitguide_1.pdf , or any number of threads in these forums. You can purchase water if a vendor is available, but you cannot use water from your well and only a very limited amount of stored water from rain or snow.

Make sure you have documentation as to the nature and extent of the water rights for any parcel you wish to buy.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:10 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelaundry246 View Post
Working from home is becoming more popular, and cities are becoming more expensive, so I see a lot more people eventually moving to smaller towns where life is more affordable. Small towns will attract people who realize life is more than just worshipping money and accumulating things you don't need and can't afford. What's the point in having an expensive house and vamped up car when you're stuck working double-time to just barely make things meet and only spend 6-8 hours in it to wash and sleep? Hell, that's some high quality "motel living".
I don't disagree with this assessment in theory, however, not all small towns can provide the ability to work remote with rock solid internet, access to affordable, fresh, quality foods, a range of goods for daily life, nor capable and competent medical care that can be accessed in under an hour. What you don't pay in real estate purchase prices will eventually be offset by the premium you pay for goods and services to be brought in, your constant travel to obtain them, and particularly in the west, the risk of a small municipality losing its access to water.

Shop cautiously.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:52 PM

Part of the reason this part of Colorado is appealing is because it's less populated. I've lived in big cities my entire life, finally ran away to one with 20000 people and watched it grow to 45000 in less than 20 years. Yikes! Healthwise I'm in great shape....knock on wood, and food-wise, I'm an avid gardener with "old-time" food preservation skills It seems like places like Trinidad attract the quirky and super independent. Thanks for the heads up regarding watering livestock. Is it just me, or are governments getting more and more restrictive towards modern homesteaders?

Old 05-12-2021, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,590 times
Default Did you move? How do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Sunset7 View Post
Thanks bovinedivine for that upbeat forecast of Trinidad...lets all remember that all of our cities and rural towns are in trouble economically...indeed our country. I am thinking about Trinidad as a good spot to just enjoy for its natural beauty, close proximity to Texas, northern Colorado and beautious New Mexico. Granted, I am a retiree but come from rich healthcare background and love the arts. I am looking to contribute to the upward swing of this lush mountainous area. The longtimers are quirky as they should be, they want to protect their heritage, can"t blame them for that. I love the fact that the area is racially balanced for I am a senior of color. Gonna love living there...I know.
I would be so grateful to hear how you are liking it in Trinidad...good things, bad things, are you meeting new friends easily? How is racial discrimination? Oh, also, I am a senior and wonder how doctors and health care are. I don't drive in even cities of more than about 40,000 population if possible. So can yoy get to cancer treatment centers etc easily via bus or shuttle companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado