Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2006, 02:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me something about southern Colorado/Trinidad? I was raised in Wyoming, so I have been in all the western states, but it would be helpful to have a better idea about this particular area. Also, could I have your opinions on the differences, (good and bad), between Colorado and New Mexico? Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 11:02 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,699 times
Trinidad is a town near the NM border. You will instantly know the difference of New Mexico and Colorado after you cross the border. Colorado has more wealth and even the average middle and lower class people lead a better life. NM has a good amount of poor and it can be sad to see how poor. NM has rich enclaves like Taos and Santa Fe. Trinidad is a nice town of about 9,000 people or so. It is famous for the transgender surgeries they do there. It has more of a southwestern feel to it. You can see more at historictrinidad.com and it is about 126 miles to Colorado Springs. Raton, NM is about 25 miles from Trinidad. If you visit down into NM, be sure and visit Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Cimarron as well as Taos. The extinct volcano Capulin near Raton is worth seeing. I recently visited it and it was the classic volcano I had pictured.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:08 AM

Thanks, Crackerjack. Do you, or have you, lived in Trinidad? My husband and I wouldn't fit into any fancy, uptown sort of ways. How down-to-earth is Trinidad? We're just regular bluecollar type of people. We try our best to get along with folks, though we're not overly social. I don't mean we're snooty. We just tend to go our own way and do our own thing, though we certainly believe in helping our neighbors if they need it. We like to hunt, fish, camp, go to rodeos...We are not into nightlife stuff, fancy places, etc., (nothing wrong with that, mind you. Just not our lifestyle).

Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 PM

Then CelticLady1, I would also look at Cortez, CO. It has the ranches, rodeo type of people and down to earth. Not a lot of nightlife but you can go into Durango if you need that. Around Cortez you can do all you listed - hunt, fish, camp, etc. it is also an inexpensive place to live. There aren't a lot of jobs being a small town but it is growing.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Then CelticLady1, I would also look at Cortez, CO. It has the ranches, rodeo type of people and down to earth. Not a lot of nightlife but you can go into Durango if you need that. Around Cortez you can do all you listed - hunt, fish, camp, etc. it is also an inexpensive place to live. There aren't a lot of jobs being a small town but it is growing.
Thank you so much, Crackerjack! I never really noticed Cortez on the map before. I'm already starting to do some online research about the area. What, in your opinion, would be drawbacks about Cortez?

Old 08-22-2006, 03:28 PM

28 posts, read 371,193 times
I grew up near Trinidad, actually south of Raton in a small town called Springer. Trinidad used to be the closest city with a Walmart so I always remember what a treat it was to go there. I've always thought Trinidad was a very pretty city, and Crackerjack was right about you being able to tell the difference once you've entered Colorado. The pass to get there though can be very dangerous in the winters so often travelers on I25 get stranded either in Raton or Trinidad, the state police will close the pass due to the snow or ice conditions during the winter. Trinidad also has a junior college there, but that does not seem to make it a typical "college town". Its downtown has that old world charm to it, and if you like winters and beautiful scenery, skiing and the outdoors then this would be a good place for you. You also mentioned rodeos...you will find plenty of that in northeastern New Mexico and I am sure the same in that part of CO. Best of luck!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 PM

Default About Cortez

NMNative505 was right on the money and everything I know about Trinidad, NMNative505 said is true. About Cortez, it is a growing town and is mainly a ranching and farming center. Lots of cowboys, ranchers, that type of thing. They are making a new subdivision appropriately named "Rodeo". Drawbacks, hmmm... it is on the small side so not much nightlife. They generally go into Farmington NM or Durango to do stuff. It doesn't get much snow in Cortez and is one of the mildest in Colorado. It always felt like a western town, like the ones in the old cowboy movies, type of town to me. It is a quiet town so anyone who wants the city with bustling streets and such, Cortez wouldn't fit the bill. If you want a nice, clean, small ranch type of town; Cortez will fit you like a glove.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:06 AM

I'm going to have to continue to do research. They both sound like nice places. Some small towns are accepting of newcomers; others aren't very friendly. How would you rate Cortez, from what you know of the place? Or, for that matter, Trinidad? And, does Cortez have milder winters than Trinidad? Thank you for the info, y'all. I really appreciate it!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:21 AM

CelticLady1, Cortez has very friendly laid-back people. They are open to newcomers and I really like that I still hear "Hi there, how are you?" Even when I have never seen those people before. Cortez has one of the mildest winters in Colorado. It sits near the Arizona, New Mexico and Utah border. If I were to rate Cortez people, I'd give them a 10. Weather - another 10.
About Trinidad, I am not as familiar with them but they seem friendly. It has about a 50 percent or more Hispanic population, in Trinidad, which adds to the latin flavor in the area. It has a lot of old historic buildings but many need repair and to be restored. It is a nice community but it will be colder with more snow then Cortez. Cortez, has the best weather in Colorado, I think, because even though Grand Junction has the most mildest winter of all, Grand Junction is hot in the summer where Cortez is just right.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-24-2006 at 12:41 AM..

Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 AM

Hey, Crackerjack, that's really nice to hear about Cortez. Sounds like a place to really look into. And a 10, for both people and weather! Wow! Not that I would throw Trinidad out the window, but, I do like the sound of Cortez. If you need to do shopping, (and I'm talking about your necessities, not fancy shopping. Remember, we're not fancy people. ), can you get pretty much what you need in Cortez, or do you have to make a run into Durango? Thanks again for your input. This is all very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado