Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I'd like to agree, but I don't see this happening. There is relatively little to do in the immediate area. There is not big enough water for rafting. The water that is there is over fished. The best camping has been developed into housing areas, ie the warm springs area that used to indeed be warm springs where you could camp year round. The trails are heavily used by day trippers, especially up Buckskin Gulch where the Lincoln, Bross, Cameron, and Democrat 14ers converge. Winter has no regular sports activity centers and cross country skiing is about all that is available. Decent shopping and a range of eateries has to be found over the passes in Summit County or Chaffee County. Biggest employer is Park County its self.
This is all true to an extent. That, along with the harsher climate is probably what kept the area from being developed. Most all of the counties mentioned in this thread have had a long history with decent population and development. However, Park county went from 3000 ish people (hardly anything considering it's close location and large size) in the 70s to 17,000 today. Percentage wise that's a BIG jump, even though it's not that many people in total.

There's not a lot of attractions in the immediate area, but it's close to summit and chaffee county where you can get all this stuff. And, if I was to retire and actually live somewhere, I'd rather live near the ski town rather than inside of it where you have to continually deal with the traffic and tourists year round.

14ers are in general way overcrowded, but IMO the hiking and forests in Park county are actually better than Summit or Grand county because there's not as much trashy lodgepole pine thickets and the beetle kill is minimal. I could be wrong, but I believe a lot of the lodgepole pine swaths are the result of excessive logging from back in the day and they were the quickest thing to come back.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:55 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Do you really think that when we lived there, we somehow missed the fact that there's a downtown? I'm not the only one on many threads to point out that GJ isn't what some people expect. FWIW, my brother lived two blocks off of Main until three years ago- it was a pleasant and cheap place to live. He moved back to the Front Range partially due to homophobia he encountered in the workplace, but that's another story. Back to the setup, GJ has a relatively cute downtown- well mostly one street in particular commercially with several pleasant streets of residential on either side. Now I'm glad the storefronts are filling back in, but "best downtown you've ever been to?" Sorry, my wife and I are shaking our heads. Many downtowns around the country have fun little strips of activity. GJ's downtown may surprise someone visiting who had no idea what to expect, but wouldn't blow anyone away. It's still worth mentioning, though, as it's the about the only part of the city that is walkable and bikable. Anyway, we liked the downtown okay but it didn't negate the rest of what we didn't care for.

And I'm not sure how much clearer I have to be about it- I love the area surrounding Grand Junction, it's the city itself that I think is lackluster. I'm sorry that I'm apparently hurting so many feelings by stating what other people have done so often on City-Data.

So I'll say it again- I'm glad that things are improving in Grand Junction. I really am. But it is sprawling and spread out, and hotter than we could stand in the summer. Again, I think many people look at GJ on a map and think it will look like a big Breckenridge or Evergreen, and are surprised how different it is. Many people also don't realize it's a desert- as I'm writing this it's 97 degrees with highs near 100 for the foreseeable future. To a lot of folks, that's not something that they want to live with for a whole season- and a lot of people feel that it's much more comfortable "mountain living" above 6-7k feet in Colorado. There are stretches of cold that last longer than those on the Front Range, and it is significantly hotter than most people are used to when thinking about CO.

And CO Cheesehead, people on Yelp and TripAdvisor give short order grills at gas stations in the middle of nowhere 4.5 stars, so I take that kind of assessment with a grain of salt. In this case the little downtown is cute, but again doesn't negate the fact that historically it was a blue collar energy "boom and bust" town, and the development shows. Up until recently there was not much of a focus on promoting it as a destination to view the natural beauty surrounding it.

Again, I'm all for giving credit for when it's due, and I'm glad that people are vested in it, proud of where they're living, and improvements are being made. But acting like it's not hot, or that it's not extremely car-dependent, or that long stretches of a depressed economy haven't had an effect on the aesthetics- is a little bit absurd. Kudos to Grand Junction for taking steps to modernize and capitalize on its location, and efforts to reinvent itself as an adventure town for relocation are certainly to be commended. I just happen to think it has quite a bit further to go to join the list of other "it" mountain towns, that's all.
If you think downtown is the only walkable and bikable part of town, you must have overlooked the 25 mile plus Riverfront Trail. https://www.oneriverfront.org/. The Colorado National Monument where they are in the process of adding a connector link from the Riverfront trail.

Add in Bangs Canyon, Lunch Loops, McInnis Canyons, Kokopelli, the fruit and wine byway and the dozens of other hiking/biking areas. They even made a movie about one of the most unique and historic cycling routes in the country, Tour of the Moon. Check it out American Flyers. Kevin Costner is the star.

Enjoy the front range weather. We had two cars and our house smacked with tennis ball size hail. Winter ends in May, but not this year. June 14th snow?! LOL. GJ gets on average 18” of snow. Wait for a couple of those April blasts that bring that much in one storm. You’ll wish you were back here.

Oh and get to the front range trails early. Parking fills up fast.

You keep bringing up the boom and bust of the oil past. Oil companies aren’t even in the top 10 employers in the county.

We get it. You didn’t like it here for some reasons now becoming obvious. I get the conservative comments now from your other posts. Not everyone here is homophobic. Trust me.

Enjoy the front range. Maybe you’ll read this post sitting in traffic tomorrow, hopefully not in a hail storm.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
If you think downtown is the only walkable and bikable part of town, you must have overlooked the 25 mile plus Riverfront Trail. https://www.oneriverfront.org/. The Colorado National Monument where they are in the process of adding a connector link from the Riverfront trail.

Add in Bangs Canyon, Lunch Loops, McInnis Canyons, Kokopelli, the fruit and wine byway and the dozens of other hiking/biking areas. They even made a movie about one of the most unique and historic cycling routes in the country, Tour of the Moon. Check it out American Flyers. Kevin Costner is the star.

Enjoy the front range weather. We had two cars and our house smacked with tennis ball size hail. Winter ends in May, but not this year. June 14th snow?! LOL. GJ gets on average 18” of snow. Wait for a couple of those April blasts that bring that much in one storm. You’ll wish you were back here.

Oh and get to the front range trails early. Parking fills up fast.

You keep bringing up the boom and bust of the oil past. Oil companies aren’t even in the top 10 employers in the county.

We get it. You didn’t like it here for some reasons now becoming obvious. I get the conservative comments now from your other posts. Not everyone here is homophobic. Trust me.

Enjoy the front range. Maybe you’ll read this post sitting in traffic tomorrow, hopefully not in a hail storm.
I think you just want to argue, because you certainly won't address or concede any of the points I've made. Do you even read what I've written? I don't think the Front Range is perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. I agree with much of what you're saying and I actually prefer the Western Slope, and seem to have more of a history in that area than you. If I say it a seventeenth time, will you acknowledge it? I don't even live in CO anymore, I live in WA. Prior to Glenwood, I lived in Denver, went to DU, etc. so I'm more than a little bit familiar with the awful traffic, hail, etc. you get east of the Rockies. But I'm also familiar with the things I've mentioned that you either haven't experience in the Grand Valley, or refuse to acknowledge exists- temperature/smog inversions, dust storms, long stretches of hot temps in the summer, etc. And-not counting downtown- a minimal amount of tree cover, and an uninspiring lineup of neighborhoods and general housing inventory. Just overall not all that appealing. Weather aside, it sounds like things are starting to change on those last attributes, but it takes a while to really make a difference with those things.

As I've mentioned on other threads, Grand Junction isn't the only town on the Western Slope, though you seem to imply that it is. Far from it. And when I refer to other things like walkability and bikability in town, I'm not referring to the longer trails, road biking, and the awesome MTB opportunities in the area. I'm talking about daily living, and GJ is just kind of meh and not all that well set up for walking and biking. It's definitely nice to be near a lot of things, but we wanted more out of the town itself.

You just keep getting offended by the fact that I describe GJ as a small city that was historically lacking in a lot of ways, but is now improving. I'm not sure why, and there are other places around the west of approximate size out there to compare the place to. We found one of them and moved there. If CO had a Western Slope equivalent to what we were looking for, we likely would have moved there and bought a house. It doesn't, so we didn't.

Again, again, again, there are many nice things to say about the area, but it's still got ways to go - in my opinion- before it reaches the level of desirability of many of the other towns we've all discussed.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I think you just want to argue, because you certainly won't address or concede any of the points I've made. Do you even read what I've written? I don't think the Front Range is perfect, by any stretch of the imagination. I agree with much of what you're saying and I actually prefer the Western Slope, and seem to have more of a history in that area than you. If I say it a seventeenth time, will you acknowledge it? I don't even live in CO anymore, I live in WA. Prior to Glenwood, I lived in Denver, went to DU, etc. so I'm more than a little bit familiar with the awful traffic, hail, etc. you get east of the Rockies. But I'm also familiar with the things I've mentioned that you either haven't experience in the Grand Valley, or refuse to acknowledge exists- temperature/smog inversions, dust storms, long stretches of hot temps in the summer, etc.

As I've mentioned on other threads, Grand Junction isn't the only town on the Western Slope, though you seem to imply that it is. Far from it. And when I refer to other things like walkability and bikability in town, I'm not referring to the longer trails, road biking, and the awesome MTB opportunities in the area. I'm talking about daily living, and GJ is just kind of meh and not all that well set up for walking and biking. It's definitely nice to be near a lot of things, but we wanted more out of the town itself.

You just keep getting offended by the fact that I describe GJ as a small city that was historically lacking in a lot of ways, but is now improving. I'm not sure why, and there are other places of approximate size out there to compare the place to. We found one of them and moved there. If CO had a Western Slope equivalent to what we were looking for, we likely would have moved there and bought a house. It doesn't, so we didn't.

Again, again, again, there are many nice things to say about the area, but it's still got ways to go - in my opinion- before it reaches that level.
I not offended by what you say, I just found much of it myopic or showing your lack of experience with the region at best and this being a public forum, I wanted to present the other side as someone who has lived in other parts of the country, traveled the world and found the West Slope very endearing. Fresh, waited to be discovered. Maybe we are the new breed of folks moving here and maybe it’s good you left.

We spent almost 4 years here off and on before we moved. We know exactly what we got ourselves into. Heat and lack of bugs is a blessing when compared to my upbringing in Wisconsin. We like the collared lizards though. Who knew there were teal and gold colored lizards? We think it’s far better than the front range and many other parts of the US. Perfect? Gosh, by no means. I am reminded that we like because, but we love although. I hope you find your place. We found ours.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:11 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I not offended by what you say, I just found much of it myopic or showing your lack of experience with the region at best and this being a public forum, I wanted to present the other side as someone who has lived in other parts of the country, traveled the world and found the West Slope very endearing. Fresh, waited to be discovered. Maybe we are the new breed of folks moving here and maybe it’s good you left.

We spent almost 4 years here off and on before we moved. We know exactly what we got ourselves into. Heat and lack of bugs is a blessing when compared to my upbringing in Wisconsin. We like the collared lizards though. Who knew there were teal and gold colored lizards? We think it’s far better than the front range and many other parts of the US. Perfect? Gosh, by no means. I am reminded that we like because, but we love although. I hope you find your place. We found ours.
How is my perspective myopic? Because we weren't all that entranced with Grand Junction? No need to insult me for feeling the way we do- the assertion that I have a lack of experience specifically within the region is obviously absurd. I, too, have lived across the country (and traveled the world, for that matter) and across CO. I love the Western Slope- which includes anything from old mountain towns like Meeker and Yampa and Rifle and New Castle as well "it" towns like Aspen, Crested Butte, Vail, Telluride and Steamboat Springs. In fact, I prefer it to the Front Range, which is why we made the move. But the Western Slope is not a term limited to describing Grand Junction or the Grand Valley, so I'm not sure why I have to keep explaining how it's possible for me love the WS without really liking GJ.

As I've mentioned, I personally see several other towns in the area as possible contenders for the "it" list, though in reality many of them have already been somewhat discovered, and the prices reflect it...

Anyway, I'm not snooty or unusual in the slightest in not finding Grand Junction itself comparatively all that appealing yet, but I'm glad it's improving and that people like yourself are investing in it. When living in the area, I spent a lot of time giving it chances and searching for the good there, I just think it has a little further to go than some other towns and cities we were looking at. But- one more time- I understand why you made the move, and why you'd find it to be a refreshing and endearing change from Denver.

Ultimately we did end up finding our place, and I'm glad you found yours.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:08 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I have been meaning to revisit this thread and thank y'all immensely for inspiring my CO vacation this September. Ouray was cute as a tourist town but Ridgway impressed me more as a place to live. Very nice little downtown with trendy businesses.

Gunnison is far too isolated to be trendy. Also I'm a democrat and driving into a town with a giant "W" on the hill overlooking the town was disconcerting until I figured out it signified the university and not a former president. I picnicked at the whitewater park and that is an amazing asset.

Loved loved loved Salida. So what if the traffic backs up on weekends, you can walk everywhere and it is cute. The sky was leaden when I visited Leadville, that may have influenced my perception. I can see Minturn being a hotspot for people who are priced out of Vail.

Kremmling is a big ole No. I gassed up at a place called "Kum and Go" what does that tell you? Grand Lake is still cute but has it always been a hot spot? I noticed lots of buildings had been scraped so I worry it will lose its charm.

Here's the part where cheesehead needs to log off before he gets triggered.

I hated Grand Junction. Hatedhatedhated it. It doesn't help to arrive by train where you are looking at the backside of dreary industrial sites. It was disturbing to consider I could have grown up in Grand Junction. Dad had received a job offer in GJ a few hours before he got a phone call to do a semester's research in Berkley. The only positive spin would be if I had been born in CO instead of CT near sea level and we still moved to TN when I was 3. It would have been nice to have developed the Colorado lungs as a newborn.

As it was I toured Leadville at day 5 and a brief visit to Vail pass on day 7. Always sleeping below 8000' so the elevation didn't get to me.

Thanks for the great trip inspiration folks. Oh and if cheesehead sneaked a peek I will say there are nice sculptures in downtown GJ and a couple of foodie spots that seem to be populated by businesspeople passing through on cross country trips. A mini foodie oasis?? though I suspect Glenwood springs is better for that.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I have been meaning to revisit this thread and thank y'all immensely for inspiring my CO vacation this September. Ouray was cute as a tourist town but Ridgway impressed me more as a place to live. Very nice little downtown with trendy businesses.

Gunnison is far too isolated to be trendy. Also I'm a democrat and driving into a town with a giant "W" on the hill overlooking the town was disconcerting until I figured out it signified the university and not a former president. I picnicked at the whitewater park and that is an amazing asset.

Loved loved loved Salida. So what if the traffic backs up on weekends, you can walk everywhere and it is cute. The sky was leaden when I visited Leadville, that may have influenced my perception. I can see Minturn being a hotspot for people who are priced out of Vail.

Kremmling is a big ole No. I gassed up at a place called "Kum and Go" what does that tell you? Grand Lake is still cute but has it always been a hot spot? I noticed lots of buildings had been scraped so I worry it will lose its charm.

Here's the part where cheesehead needs to log off before he gets triggered.

I hated Grand Junction. Hatedhatedhated it. It doesn't help to arrive by train where you are looking at the backside of dreary industrial sites. It was disturbing to consider I could have grown up in Grand Junction. Dad had received a job offer in GJ a few hours before he got a phone call to do a semester's research in Berkley. The only positive spin would be if I had been born in CO instead of CT near sea level and we still moved to TN when I was 3. It would have been nice to have developed the Colorado lungs as a newborn.

As it was I toured Leadville at day 5 and a brief visit to Vail pass on day 7. Always sleeping below 8000' so the elevation didn't get to me.

Thanks for the great trip inspiration folks. Oh and if cheesehead sneaked a peek I will say there are nice sculptures in downtown GJ and a couple of foodie spots that seem to be populated by businesspeople passing through on cross country trips. A mini foodie oasis?? though I suspect Glenwood springs is better for that.
It’s Ok. It’s good to have multiple opinions. I was talking to a builder earlier this week and they all want the growth in GJ to slow down. Too much too soon. So having some not like the town is probably good.

Having traveled by train in many parts of the world, I can tell you most railyards present the backside of a city.

If you move here c’mon back and visit the Colorado National Monument on the south side of town, the vineyards out east and drive up on the Grand Mesa. You might see the town very differently. I’ll even buy you a local beer, wine or spirit.

As for the food, Glenwood really only has a couple good spots, but I will let you decide.

Since the original postings we’ve had a few friends from Denver visit and by the end of the weekend, all of them were looking at lots to build their retirement homes. Some see GJ as a nice small city with all the amenities you need, airport, hospital, etc and tons of recreation with milder winters than most other parts of the state.

You might want to check out my photo thread on Grand Junction. It shows a lot of what makes it great here.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Kum and Go is a chain of truck stops. Maybe you don’t see them in your part of the country. Quik Stop is another one. Truckers aren’t always just on Interstate highways.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:51 AM

432 posts, read 414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Kum and Go is a chain of truck stops. Maybe you don’t see them in your part of the country.
As a tourist taxi driver, Kum and Go always got a lot of laughs.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
As a tourist taxi driver, Kum and Go always got a lot of laughs.
I always equate the name with "those kind of movies" (!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado