Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:35 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
“Hot, brown, dusty...” I agree.
LOL, are you really using a couple spring or post-rain pics from Colorado NM and a pic of an irrigated golf course on Redlands Mesa to show me that Grand Junction isn't mostly dry and desertlike? I suppose next you'll show me someone with tattoos and piercings to prove that it's not conservative....

Look, I hear you about a cheap (er) adventure base, believe me. At least compared to other desirable parts of CO. And it checks off the criteria of jet service, hospital, etc. and proximity to interesting geography. Socially, I think it's a ways behind, so I'm glad things are getting better- GMU's growth, somewhat of an influx of outdoor adventurers, etc.

Regarding weather, that's obviously subjective, but no one I know would expect to find GJ's climate in a mountain town, especially most CO towns that are known for cooler, moderate temps in summer. The look, and to slightly lesser intensity, the summer heat, reminds me much more of Nevada. I'm glad you like it but it was way too hot and exposed in the summer for us. A lot of people come to CO to visit the mountains (as do a lot of Denverites) and to escape the summer heats, but they won't find relief there. In fact, the summer highs and lows are consistently hotter than Denver, and the winter highs are lower in GJ. You get less snow, but the inversions can really put a damper on air quality and last for a while.

Again, I think it has potential to improve quite a bit. It's not surprising that people have moved there from other places, and I like the laid back, quieter and more authentic Western vibe (compared to Denver, which in my opinion is really on the Great Plains). But Grand Junction sits in a fairly sparse, spread out desert valley, and the people in the area are still much more conservative overall than most touristy places in the state. And while that may be changing a bit-and the city has some nice things to offer- those attributes aren't really going away any time soon.

No need to be offended, I'm happy for you that you found what you were looking for. And I'm glad that some people are moving there and making improvements and increasing the liveliness a bit. It's just that to a lot of people who haven't visited-including many in CO, assumptions of what GJ looks and feels like by looking on a map are substantially different than what they experience in reality. Some like yourself really like it, but to many others, it's just not their cup of tea. And relative to other places, IMHO it is definitely not a mountain town. But I digress, there have actually been several threads on C-D about GJ and it's appeal or lack of. In fact, here's one you may find interesting: https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ted-grand.html

Old 07-10-2019, 05:16 AM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
LOL, are you really using a couple spring or post-rain pics from Colorado NM and a pic of an irrigated golf course on Redlands Mesa to show me that Grand Junction isn't mostly dry and desertlike? I suppose next you'll show me someone with tattoos and piercings to prove that it's not conservative....

Look, I hear you about a cheap (er) adventure base, believe me. At least compared to other desirable parts of CO. And it checks off the criteria of jet service, hospital, etc. and proximity to interesting geography. Socially, I think it's a ways behind, so I'm glad things are getting better- GMU's growth, somewhat of an influx of outdoor adventurers, etc.

Regarding weather, that's obviously subjective, but no one I know would expect to find GJ's climate in a mountain town, especially most CO towns that are known for cooler, moderate temps in summer. The look, and to slightly lesser intensity, the summer heat, reminds me much more of Nevada. I'm glad you like it but it was way too hot and exposed in the summer for us. A lot of people come to CO to visit the mountains (as do a lot of Denverites) and to escape the summer heats, but they won't find relief there. In fact, the summer highs and lows are consistently hotter than Denver, and the winter highs are lower in GJ. You get less snow, but the inversions can really put a damper on air quality and last for a while.

Again, I think it has potential to improve quite a bit. It's not surprising that people have moved there from other places, and I like the laid back, quieter and more authentic Western vibe (compared to Denver, which in my opinion is really on the Great Plains). But Grand Junction sits in a fairly sparse, spread out desert valley, and the people in the area are still much more conservative overall than most touristy places in the state. And while that may be changing a bit-and the city has some nice things to offer- those attributes aren't really going away any time soon.

No need to be offended, I'm happy for you that you found what you were looking for. And I'm glad that some people are moving there and making improvements and increasing the liveliness a bit. It's just that to a lot of people who haven't visited-including many in CO, assumptions of what GJ looks and feels like by looking on a map are substantially different than what they experience in reality. Some like yourself really like it, but to many others, it's just not their cup of tea. And relative to other places, IMHO it is definitely not a mountain town. But I digress, there have actually been several threads on C-D about GJ and it's appeal or lack of. In fact, here's one you may find interesting: https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ted-grand.html
The pictures I posted were supposed to be dry and dusty. LOL. My point being there is still a lot of beauty in dry and dusty. See Sedona, Santa Fe, etc.
You bring up the area being conservative several times so that seems to be important to you. Honestly that was never part of our decision process and unless you’re told that, the area doesn’t come across that way. I lived in the Springs for awhile and that town from almost day one comes across far more conservative, but I digress. I wish you the best wherever you live. We love the West Slope and we are glad we made the move. PM me if you are in the area and I will buy you a glass of wine or a delicious Palisade peach.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Fairplay and Alma will probably grow really fast percentage wise as they are quickest shot into the mountains for CO Springs and Denver, if you exclude I 70. Although at some point they'd have to dense up their housing area on the mountain sides as the lots are pretty big. It's kind of a unique area (we stayed there over the 4th) in that a lot of the current construction isn't vacation condos or big mansions, but more ordinary sized homes. The area has big mountains, it's close, and it's affordable, which is unique.

I'd like to agree, but I don't see this happening. There is relatively little to do in the immediate area. There is not big enough water for rafting. The water that is there is over fished. The best camping has been developed into housing areas, ie the warm springs area that used to indeed be warm springs where you could camp year round. The trails are heavily used by day trippers, especially up Buckskin Gulch where the Lincoln, Bross, Cameron, and Democrat 14ers converge. Winter has no regular sports activity centers and cross country skiing is about all that is available. Decent shopping and a range of eateries has to be found over the passes in Summit County or Chaffee County. Biggest employer is Park County its self.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:10 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Pueblo - Colorado's alpha city.
god I hope not

Old 07-10-2019, 12:11 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Glenwood Springs should get mentioned, though I thought of it as already there rather than a next "it" town. Average home prices already above $500,000.

"Glenwood Springs Metro Area" is probably not a term commonly considered but it is half the size of Grand junction Metro Area. Fwiw. The relative sizes have been fairly stable thru the decades.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The pictures I posted were supposed to be dry and dusty. LOL. My point being there is still a lot of beauty in dry and dusty. See Sedona, Santa Fe, etc.
You bring up the area being conservative several times so that seems to be important to you. Honestly that was never part of our decision process and unless you’re told that, the area doesn’t come across that way. I lived in the Springs for awhile and that town from almost day one comes across far more conservative, but I digress. I wish you the best wherever you live. We love the West Slope and we are glad we made the move. PM me if you are in the area and I will buy you a glass of wine or a delicious Palisade peach.
I love the Western Slope, and loved living there as well. And of course there's beauty in the desert, but the city of Grand Junction itself isn't cute like Sedona and doesn't have the history or culture of Santa Fe. Historically it's been a boom and bust, industrial area, with very little focus on tourism, livability, or appeal to the city itself- especially given the beauty surrounding it. For the umpteenth time, I'm glad to see that is changing.

There have been a ton of threads about GJ on City-Data over the years, and nearly every single one mentions the conservative aspect of the area- so I don't think bringing it up is unusual. I keep mentioning it because it's hard to deny the longtime Mormon/Conservative social influence in the area, and it does factor into the decisions made by many about relocation. GJ doesn't have a Front Range or cute mountain town feel or vibe, which I fully acknowledge may be appealing to some. In a lot of ways, Grand Junction itself is more like Utah than it is like the standard perception of CO. That aspect isn't really my thing, but I'm not judging or putting it down. I'm just saying that it's different than many people expect, and FWIW not one of the other "it" mountain towns you or I or anyone else has mentioned on this thread has a conservative vibe.

My wife and I love the surrounding area, we just weren't really keen on GJ itself. We don't hate it, and enjoyed having things like an REI relatively close by, or eating at Kannah Creek Edgewater before or after a hike at CO NM. In fact, when looking for "affordable" places in CO to buy, we wanted it to be that place, but for a variety of reasons I mentioned-mostly summer heat and exposure as well as the culture/look/setup of the town, it just wasn't for us. Can't do much about the climate, but the town itself is improving and will continue to grow- though I think it still has a long way to go before it joins the pantheon of other places discussed. Just my opinion, though I'm far from the only person to think that.

I fully understand that you like where you've chosen to live-no disrespect intended to your sentiment whatsoever. And next time we visit we'd be glad to join you for a glass of wine in Palisade. Speaking of which-and back to the topic of the thread, I personally think Palisade is probably a better contender, but that's because I also generally picture quaint and charming little towns above regional small cities when thinking about "it" mountain towns....

Old 07-11-2019, 02:42 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Heber Utah has been the side town for Park City, so the area isn't brand new. But it is getting most of the growth now. Tripled since 1990 and almost sure to double again. 15k in town, 30k in county. Home prices over $400k but that is half of Park City.

If Heber is too big already or going there for folks, the smaller spot nearby is Kamas.

In general I think most of the next wave of resort development will go to existing spots. Developers want less risk. Most newcomers want infrastructure- restaurants, hospitals, established jobs, etc.

Palisade may appeal to those who want fairly quiet and small but with real easy access to a city.

Cascade ID is about to double to house workers from a nearby gold mine and the county has potential for more 2nd home & retirees. If you are ok with 80-100 inches of snow.

Wenatchee and within an hour around it might appeal. Winter in the mountains nearby but not much in the lower drylands.

Evanston Wyoming has a great location for recreation access and urban access too (with a drive)\ and basic infrastructure but is unlikely to get that much attention in next 10-20 years because of climate, flora, social / political / religious factors.

Minden-Gardenerville NV area has gotten more retirees; but with Reno and Tahoe nearby, it could work for right younger persons.

Spearfish SD is another mountain adjacent town within reach of a city.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-11-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 12:54 PM

145 posts, read 209,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I love the Western Slope, and loved living there as well. And of course there's beauty in the desert, but the city of Grand Junction itself isn't cute like Sedona and doesn't have the history or culture of Santa Fe. Historically it's been a boom and bust, industrial area, with very little focus on tourism, livability, or appeal to the city itself- especially given the beauty surrounding it. For the umpteenth time, I'm glad to see that is changing...
Can I ask, since it seems that you didn't, did you even go downtown? It's incredibly cute, huge trees, tree lined streets and sidewalks, massive Victorian homes, the best walkable downtown I've ever been to and I've lived up and down and right to left in this country.

I get it, overall you don't like the surrounding GJ area but you specifically called out the city of GJ, which I would take to mean the downtown area.

We ended up with 5 acres 10 minutes from my job so am happy, but only because none of the gorgeous homes downtown were available when we bought.

It gets hot, sure, but I've only turned on the a/c a couple times this year. Back east it was on at 72.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVespa View Post
Can I ask, since it seems that you didn't, did you even go downtown? It's incredibly cute, huge trees, tree lined streets and sidewalks, massive Victorian homes, the best walkable downtown I've ever been to and I've lived up and down and right to left in this country.

I get it, overall you don't like the surrounding GJ area but you specifically called out the city of GJ, which I would take to mean the downtown area.

We ended up with 5 acres 10 minutes from my job so am happy, but only because none of the gorgeous homes downtown were available when we bought.

It gets hot, sure, but I've only turned on the a/c a couple times this year. Back east it was on at 72.
Downtown is 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor, but its "industrial with little focus on tourism, livability or appeal to the city itself" LOL
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html

Old 07-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneVespa View Post

Do you really think that when we lived there, we somehow missed the fact that there's a downtown? I'm not the only one on many threads to point out that GJ isn't what some people expect. FWIW, my brother lived two blocks off of Main until three years ago- it was a pleasant and cheap place to live. He moved back to the Front Range partially due to homophobia he encountered in the workplace, but that's another story. Back to the setup, GJ has a relatively cute downtown- well mostly one street in particular commercially with several pleasant streets of residential on either side. Now I'm glad the storefronts are filling back in, but "best downtown you've ever been to?" Sorry, my wife and I are shaking our heads. Many downtowns around the country have fun little strips of activity. GJ's downtown may surprise someone visiting who had no idea what to expect, but wouldn't blow anyone away. It's still worth mentioning, though, as it's the about the only part of the city that is walkable and bikable. Anyway, we liked the downtown okay but it didn't negate the rest of what we didn't care for.

And I'm not sure how much clearer I have to be about it- I love the area surrounding Grand Junction, it's the city itself that I think is lackluster. I'm sorry that I'm apparently hurting so many feelings by stating what other people have done so often on City-Data.

So I'll say it again- I'm glad that things are improving in Grand Junction. I really am. But it is sprawling and spread out, and hotter than we could stand in the summer. Again, I think many people look at GJ on a map and think it will look like a big Breckenridge or Evergreen, and are surprised how different it is. Many people also don't realize it's a desert- as I'm writing this it's 97 degrees with highs near 100 for the foreseeable future. To a lot of folks, that's not something that they want to live with for a whole season- and a lot of people feel that it's much more comfortable "mountain living" above 6-7k feet in Colorado. There are stretches of cold that last longer than those on the Front Range, and it is significantly hotter than most people are used to when thinking about CO.

And CO Cheesehead, people on Yelp and TripAdvisor give short order grills at gas stations in the middle of nowhere 4.5 stars, so I take that kind of assessment with a grain of salt. In this case the little downtown is cute, but again doesn't negate the fact that historically it was a blue collar energy "boom and bust" town, and the development shows. Up until recently there was not much of a focus on promoting it as a destination to view the natural beauty surrounding it.

Again, I'm all for giving credit for when it's due, and I'm glad that people are vested in it, proud of where they're living, and improvements are being made. But acting like it's not hot, or that it's not extremely car-dependent, or that long stretches of a depressed economy haven't had an effect on the aesthetics- is a little bit absurd. Kudos to Grand Junction for taking steps to modernize and capitalize on its location, and efforts to reinvent itself as an adventure town for relocation are certainly to be commended. I just happen to think it has quite a bit further to go to join the list of other "it" mountain towns, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado