Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM

10 posts, read 10,410 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for insight/help as I'm planning to move from Austin Texas to Colorado (so far I'm thinking of Colorado Springs).

The reason I'm moving is because I'm not doing well with Cedar / Oak / Mold allergies in Austin, I saw that Colorado doesn't have Cedar pollen in the winter, and after experiencing cedar fever I think that Oak is not the biggest concern anymore.

I'm from a part in Mexico where altitude and dryness is almost the same than Colorado, so I'm used to it and I can bear it better than humidity and mold, I'm a little concerned about cold, but dryness also help feel less cold, what I mean is that you can have a low temperature but if you have humidity, it will feel worse than a colder temperature at a drier place.

The problem I'm finding now is that I'm not sure if Cedar is an issue in Colorado at any other moment during the year... is it?

Also I don't seem to find affordable housing in Colorado Springs with good schools, the rating for schools is lower than the average rating in Austin, could you recommend any area in Colorado Springs or any other city with more affordable housing and better school districts than Colorado Springs?

I was considering also Oklahoma City, but the tornadoes seem scary.

Also was considering Bentonville Arkansas, but the humidity is not better than in Austin, so might not be worth moving as allergies would not greatly improve.

Thanks for your help and comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
What do you mean by “affordable housing”? Housing prices are quite high in Colorado right now, so may not work for you. Affordable housing and good school districts don’t often go together.

Will you also be needing a job? Where you live could depend on where you find work.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:38 AM

11,824 posts, read 34,425,536 times
Other arid states, New Mexico and Nevada and Arizona.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM

By affordable housing I mean a house under $260k.

I would be working remotely, could live anywhere in Colorado.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itjrodrigu View Post
By affordable housing I mean a house under $260k.

I would be working remotely, could live anywhere in Colorado.

Thanks for your reply!
On the Front Range, Pueblo is probably your best bet, but it's definitely rough around the edges.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 AM

What do you mean by "rough around the edges"?

Old 02-13-2019, 12:00 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Pueblo's economy was heavily dependent upon the steel industry. When that sector went south, Pueblo's growth went with it. For the better part of the last 40+ years Pueblo has been growing much slower than Colorado Springs and points north.

Pueblo has a bad reputation with regard to gangs and crime.

Pueblo is also further from the mountains than both the Springs and Denver. To me it has more of a Desert Southwest feel.

Still, if you're looking for a value on the Front Range and have a job in hand, it's not a bad idea to look into it.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Why don't you dig into the forums a bit. The question has been answered 785 times and counting.

Pueblo is affordable but if you want good schooling, stick with District 70 schools which means Pueblo West, Colorado City Rye area, or Pueblo County out on the Mesa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Pueblo is also further from the mountains than both the Springs and Denver. To me it has more of a Desert Southwest feel.
I'd agree with your points but the Greenhorn/Wet Mountains are just 24 miles south of Pueblo on I-25 and with 75 mph Interstate, that's about 18 minutes.

Also, a huge reservoir (by Colorado standards) is 8 miles west of Pueblo in nearby Pueblo West and this body of water dwarfs anything near CoSprings.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
If the front range is too expensive and too over crowded, check out Grand Junction. Its still affordable and is just being discovered. Great downtown, third largest airport in the state, good hospitals, lots of outdoor recreation and the heart of Colorado's wine country. It is now just catching the economic boom that hit the front range 5-7 years ago.

Video https://youtu.be/cs5FHADGrFY

Old 02-13-2019, 05:41 PM

18,008 posts, read 27,450,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'd agree with your points but the Greenhorn/Wet Mountains are just 24 miles south of Pueblo on I-25 and with 75 mph Interstate, that's about 18 minutes.

Also, a huge reservoir (by Colorado standards) is 8 miles west of Pueblo in nearby Pueblo West and this body of water dwarfs anything near CoSprings.

Colorado Springs does have some of the nicest mountains on the planet though, and the town is just as close to them as you can get while still being able to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado