Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,633 times

Advertisements

Hey, Pueblo made a list - sad.

https://247wallst.com/special-report...o-live-in-3/2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:50 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Comparatively speaking Pueblo isn't terrible, but it's definitely the least desirable of the Front Range metros to live in. It's further from the mountains, has more of a desert southwest feel, and has notable issues with drugs and gang activity.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:38 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Pueblo is a good place to be a big fish in a small pond.

Crime is rough but not so much if you don't hang out after 2am. Don't break down when around the lower east side, parts of Bessemer, etc.

Colorado City, Rye, San Isabel, and Beulah are about 30 minutes away. Pueblo Reservoir is just up the road in Pueblo West.

Pueblo has a bit of character and is not pretentious nor overpriced as some places might be up the Front Range. Oh, we could start a conversation about overcrowding and traffic.

Colorado Springs may have better stats on violent crimes than Pueblo, but I don't see how. When watching the local news, they spend about 22 minutes talking about CoSprings murders, dead bodies on trails, home invasions, apartment shootouts, arson fires, carjackings, pedestrian killings on dangerous roads, water main breaks which deplete what little water they have, etc., then they spend 4 minutes talking about how windy and dry it's gonna be, then, 2 minutes about how bad the sport teams suck, then two minutes about Pueblo crime.

Schools are rough in District 60, but the District 70 schools are good, such as in Pueblo West, Colorado City and Rye, then on the Mesa towards the Ark Valley such as at Pueblo County high school. Charter schools such as McClellan are great.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:39 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Hmm. This list also includes Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Miami, and Memphis, all of which seem to be fairly attractive places due to their growth. Text in place for many of the city descriptions in this list was a simple cut and paste of unemployment and crime percentages. Duh.

Pueblo may be the least desirable of the Front Range cities, but it also has a number of interesting features to it that can really help turn it around, if properly utilized. Despite population growth of basically zero since 1970 and a constant struggle with economic diversity and crime, steps can be taken to really step up its standing. Handle the crime, change the mindset that outsiders are suspect, and economic change will come.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Pueblo is a good place to be a big fish in a small pond.

Crime is rough but not so much if you don't hang out after 2am. Don't break down when around the lower east side, parts of Bessemer, etc.

Colorado City, Rye, San Isabel, and Beulah are about 30 minutes away. Pueblo Reservoir is just up the road in Pueblo West.

Pueblo has a bit of character and is not pretentious nor overpriced as some places might be up the Front Range. Oh, we could start a conversation about overcrowding and traffic.

Colorado Springs may have better stats on violent crimes than Pueblo, but I don't see how. When watching the local news, they spend about 22 minutes talking about CoSprings murders, dead bodies on trails, home invasions, apartment shootouts, arson fires, carjackings, pedestrian killings on dangerous roads, water main breaks which deplete what little water they have, etc., then they spend 4 minutes talking about how windy and dry it's gonna be, then, 2 minutes about how bad the sport teams suck, then two minutes about Pueblo crime.

Schools are rough in District 60, but the District 70 schools are good, such as in Pueblo West, Colorado City and Rye, then on the Mesa towards the Ark Valley such as at Pueblo County high school. Charter schools such as McClellan are great.
Oh, and did I say Barricaded Suspects with firearms? Westmeadows apts on South Academy right now.

Oh, on Friday, a parking lot shootout in Colorado Springs near Platte and Powers, leaving one dead, three injured, including a teen,

Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 PM

75 posts, read 62,765 times
McGowDog. But one thing they do not talk about in Colorado Springs are the number of suicides. If you look at the police blotter, there are a heck of a lot every week.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAng View Post
McGowDog. But one thing they do not talk about in Colorado Springs are the number of suicides. If you look at the police blotter, there are a heck of a lot every week.
What data source are you using?

I just looked at six weeks of the COLO SPGS police blotter and never saw a single suicide.

Homicides are occurring at a rate of one every ten days, about 3 per month, i.e., 36 so far in 2018.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
McGowdog, I thought we were talking about Pueblo, not Colo Spgs, but since we're on that topic...Yes, Pueblo violent crimes rate, murder rate, assault, rape, robbery, property crime, vehicle theft, etc are all half of what Colo Spgs numbers are according to Uniform Crime Reports from 2017. The problem with that is Pueblo is a quarter of the size of Colo Spgs.

Like I said earlier, handle the crime, and it will change the trajectory of the city. Then Pueblo will have to learn how to deal with transplants. That will present a whole new set of challenges that may take another generation to overcome.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
McGowdog, I thought we were talking about Pueblo, not Colo Spgs, but since we're on that topic...Yes, Pueblo violent crimes rate, murder rate, assault, rape, robbery, property crime, vehicle theft, etc are all half of what Colo Spgs numbers are according to Uniform Crime Reports from 2017. The problem with that is Pueblo is a quarter of the size of Colo Spgs.

Like I said earlier, handle the crime, and it will change the trajectory of the city. Then Pueblo will have to learn how to deal with transplants. That will present a whole new set of challenges that may take another generation to overcome.
I'd like to know exactly where the OP lives and their motive for starting the thread.

So let's just take a peak at some of Pueblo County's neighbors, starting with the one to the north of it...

Quote:
The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Colorado Springs is 1 in 25. Based on FBI crime data, Colorado Springs is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Colorado, Colorado Springs has a crime rate that is higher than 88% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.
So let's take the philosophical approach, shall we?

"There's enough bad in the best of us and enough good in the worst of us that it behooves the best of us to badmouth the rest of us."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I was born and raised in New Mexico. Pueblo always reminded me more of a NM town than a Colorado town.
We love to drive down to Santa Fe for a few days and kick back, maybe take in a Christmas style burrito or two at the Pantry or Tune up Cafe, then a homemade tamale or Rellano from the to-go cart there. You run into a famous actor or actress once in a while down there.

Last edited by McGowdog; 12-18-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-18-2018, 09:52 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
I was born and raised in New Mexico. Pueblo always reminded me more of a NM town than a Colorado town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado