Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 AM

10 posts, read 31,014 times

Advertisements

Atrocious Texas: I feel so very apart from this state.

And while Dallas has all there is to offer on every corner, it has provided me nothing but a calendar with bold, black lines drawn through every day. This state[or specifically, this city] makes me feel an alien. I keep swallowing the idea that I move around too much, but it’s hard to hush my conscience whispering that there is somewhere that I could roll out of bed, peak my nose through curtains and see mountains or hills, open water or smoke from chimneys. Somewhere I instantly feel a part of. Photographs of Colorado reveal happy toes dug into red leaves, and pink cheeks from winter’s snow and I feel green with envy.

Instead, I wake up in January to 70 degrees, angry strangers and an arduous landscape of spray paint-colored concrete, flat lands, and ooh!dry, desolate trees that might tickle my hip bone. Everyone here seems excited to be among natures most absent city and booming social hub. I feel like I got sold short of a deal. And while company around me laughs and plans outings to go to one of our thousands of generic “to-do’s”, I keep my fingers crossed of a place far away from here[on every level].

I am 23 and want to experience life, not a concrete cube of an apartment

I think CO. could do that.

I have no idea where to begin i.e: where to transfer for work, a good rental home with a good neighborhood, things to dig into, things to really blow dallas out of the water..etc

Colorado Springs is a definite possibility..because of ANA.. but I still know nothing of the city, or surrounding areas...

Anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 11:29 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
A good starting point are the photo threads and the thread called Why Choose Colorado Springs.

After you digest some of what is here, give us some specifics about yourself so we can help you. What is ANA, your type of work, preferred housing style, housing budget, etc?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 AM

Yes, have read most, but there's only so far you can go without personal opinions/feedback from people with feet planted in CO.

Sorry to be so vague, this is my first time posting and wasn't sure of hwo specific to get. This might help:

ANA: American Numismatic Association
Type of work: Clerical, reception, HR, licensed auctioneer for gallery sales, etc. Visit Ha.com which is my current place of work and is affiliated with ANA. While I don't necessarily HAVE to stay within the company, it would be nice to have some sort of solid ground to transfer into. Might like a new start in a new field though.
Preferred housing style: Rentables for now. Any homes or townhomes under $1,300 per/mo. Preferably with hardwood floors, windows, a yard, garage, resedential or old cottage style nieghborhoods. Would like to live in snow or mountainous/hilly terrain.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyetaylor View Post
Yes, have read most, but there's only so far you can go without personal opinions/feedback from people with feet planted in CO. Sorry to be so vague, this is my first time posting and wasn't sure of hwo specific to get. This might help:

ANA: American Numismatic Association

Type of work: Clerical, reception, HR, licensed auctioneer for gallery sales, etc. Visit Ha.com which is my current place of work and is affiliated with ANA. While I don't necessarily HAVE to stay within the company, it would be nice to have some sort of solid ground to transfer into. Might like a new start in a new field though.

Preferred housing style: Rentables for now. Any homes or townhomes under $1,300 per/mo. Preferably with hardwood floors, windows, a yard, garage, resedential or old cottage style nieghborhoods. Would like to live in snow or mountainous/hilly terrain.
Lots of rentals here. There's a ton of stuff for your housing style. I suggest Old Colorado City (OCC), to the west of downtown. Also around the downtown area, over towards Memorial Park and and just north of downtown in the Old North End. Lots of older homes on tree lined streets. Use our Search tool with phrases like Old Colorado City or Old North End or keywords like OCC to find many good prior postings.

The downtown here is nothing like the downtown in Dallas, we are very low rise and very small. The photo tour done by Averie Jay shows you our downtown area, it's livable, walkable and safe.

s/Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
If Colorado and Texas had a duel, who do you suppose would win?
I suppose Colorado would have to clone itself 5 times to even have a chance. It would be like Dongbang Korea picking a fight with China.

Oh, pardon me. This is another I want to move to Colorado thread. How special.

I say, instead of telling us everything about yourself, your wants, and your needs, save it for a minute. Look inside yourself for a moment. Do you really want to move from the Big D? Do you maybe want to travel a bit before you just pack up and move? Do you have friends who feel exactly the same way about Dallas and want to move out or do you think this might just be an internal condition? If it is an internal condition, you've got a different problem; one that a Geographical won't cure.

Look back on all the Colorado threads and take note of some of the ones that say "Do you regret your move to Colorado" and the "What do you really hate about Colorado" and "Is Colorado Boring" etc.

I think that everyone on CD should be sentenced to listen to Eckhart Tolle's Through the Open Door before moving into the state. Once our internal condition brightens up again, we love the job, the friends, the food, the scenery...

Then again, if people did this there'd be 2 posts a day on City-Data!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:38 AM

133 posts, read 555,886 times
Quote:
Atrocious Texas: I feel so very apart from this state.

And while Dallas has all there is to offer on every corner, it has provided me nothing but a calendar with bold, black lines drawn through every day. This state[or specifically, this city] makes me feel an alien. I keep swallowing the idea that I move around too much, but it’s hard to hush my conscience whispering that there is somewhere that I could roll out of bed, peak my nose through curtains and see mountains or hills, open water or smoke from chimneys. Somewhere I instantly feel a part of. Photographs of Colorado reveal happy toes dug into red leaves, and pink cheeks from winter’s snow and I feel green with envy.

Instead, I wake up in January to 70 degrees, angry strangers and an arduous landscape of spray paint-colored concrete, flat lands, and ooh!dry, desolate trees that might tickle my hip bone. Everyone here seems excited to be among natures most absent city and booming social hub. I feel like I got sold short of a deal. And while company around me laughs and plans outings to go to one of our thousands of generic “to-do’s”, I keep my fingers crossed of a place far away from here[on every level].

I am 23 and want to experience life, not a concrete cube of an apartment

I think CO. could do that.

I have no idea where to begin i.e: where to transfer for work, a good rental home with a good neighborhood, things to dig into, things to really blow dallas out of the water..etc

Colorado Springs is a definite possibility..because of ANA.. but I still know nothing of the city, or surrounding areas...

Anybody?
If you can escape from work for a few days (or a week) you should take a trip up there. I bet you'd love the downtown Colorado Springs and the Old Colorado City areas. Plenty to do. Lots of little book stores, record stores, coffee shops and restaurants. And nearby Manitou Springs is storybook-like.

Best weather on the planet too. Summertime in CO might as well be called Pleasuretime, because it's a true pleasure to be alive and in the out of doors during the summer months there. August in CO feels like a better version of October in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 AM

thank you so much for taking the time to be so informative and helpful. it helps more than you could imagine and brightens my day.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Look inside yourself for a moment.

I think that everyone on CD should be sentenced to listen to Eckhart Tolle's Through the Open Door before moving into the state. Once our internal condition brightens up again, we love the job, the friends, the food, the scenery...
In other words, "No matter where you go, there you are."

I fully endorse the idea that expecting a new city to fix all one's problems is a recipe for moving again in a year.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Default okay

this is getting a little off track here.

i don't know how this got into "fixing one's problems" etc etc besides the aid of one bloggers arrogance.

maybe we need to re-read the post and distinguish that the words: "colorado vs. texas" were clearly in the title; not "dr. phil vs. oprah".

anybody who would like to help with the points in bold from the previous post please respond, anybody who would like to steer it off track please see myspace.com

Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
I keep swallowing the idea that I move around too much, but it’s hard to hush my conscience whispering that there is somewhere that I could roll out of bed, peak my nose through curtains and see mountains or hills, open water or smoke from chimneys. Somewhere I instantly feel a part of. Photographs of Colorado reveal happy toes dug into red leaves, and pink cheeks from winter’s snow and I feel green with envy.
Then MFBE says something to the effect, "Well why don't you use the search feature or get a bit more specific?"

Then you reply something to the effect, "Yes, have read most, but there's only so far you can go without personal opinions/feedback from people with feet planted in CO.

Sorry to be so vague, this is my first time posting and wasn't sure of hwo specific to get."

Usually at some point Charles comes in and asks the 5 or 6 specific questions that he asks.

I thought I'd be clever by answering your thread question about the duel. It was a unique question around here and thought it'd be kind of interesting to answer. I figured that Texas outnumbered Colorado by 6 times, so that's how I came up with that comment.

As far as suggesting that I go to Myspace is a ridiculous insult to me. I've been posting here for over a year now. I think I'll stick around here, thank you very much.

Now after reading my DM from you and reading the lack of humor from you and your insulting my manhood, I know where we stand. I'll leave you alone and I suggest that you keep your more negative opinions to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado