Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,535 times

Advertisements

My family and I would would love to move somewhere in Colorado. We like to be out in the country (we have dogs, cats and farm animals) but within 30ish minutes of any given decent size town. We love the 'treed' part of Colorado more than the 'desert' side. Can anyone suggest any such areas? Are jobs better in some areas than others??? Thanks so much for any feed back I know I'm asking alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM

26,219 posts, read 49,066,237 times
The "Black Forest" area of Colo Spgs, zip 80908. Mostly 5-acre treed lots, with plenty of horses. Also parts of Monument, and Palmer Lakes, for nearness to COLO SPGS and Larkspur, Parker, Castle Rock for proximity to Denver.

There are more to the west of Denver, I'll let the Denver crowd chime in.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsVegan View Post
My family and I would would love to move somewhere in Colorado. We like to be out in the country (we have dogs, cats and farm animals) but within 30ish minutes of any given decent size town. We love the 'treed' part of Colorado more than the 'desert' side. Can anyone suggest any such areas? Are jobs better in some areas than others??? Thanks so much for any feed back I know I'm asking alot.
Can't blame you for wanting to get out of Texas... I just returned from 14 months in the Houston area. I kind of feel like a prison inmate must feel when he is finally released and allowed to go home!

As far as the treed part of Colorado AND access to decent sized cities WITH the potential for employment, you're kind of limited to the I25 corridor.

Some areas reasonably adjacent to Colorado Springs might be Black Forest, as Mike mentioned, Woodland Park, Divide, or even Green Mountain Falls.

Further south you might look into the areas around Colorado City and Rye. Parts of Canyon City might fit the bill as well.

All of these areas are places where a person can enjoy a semi-rural lifestyle without being too far from town.

We might be able to help you narrow it down a bit if we knew more about what your career field and housing budgets are. Plus, there are areas west of Denver too, but I have little personal experience with these. Perhaps one of the Denver guys will jump in.....

Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Of course depending on the kind of work you do, most jobs are going to be in the cities along the I25 corridor, i.e., Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, etc. The treed areas near Denver are going to be in the foothills such as Evergreen, Conifer, Bailey, Nederland. Hopefully you are coming with money, because you are asking for what everyone else wants.

Probably what you need to find out first is whether or not you could find work here. Then you need to know your budget. Is your "30ish minutes of any given decent size town" for commuting or just because you don't want to be TOO rural?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Denver isn't an ideal city for those wanting big acreage but still close to town. Treed acreage is an even harder find, and expensive to boot. Like many other western cities, Denver's suburbs tend to be on small lots, and trees are at a premium anywhere near Denver.

Colorado Springs is the obvious choice for what you want -- Black Forest as was mentioned would be ideal. But I wouldn't recommend attempting to commute from there to Denver, and Colorado Springs job market tends to be a lot more limited focus than is Metro Denver's. If you're not concerned about the local job market and simply want to be near a sizable city, then Black Forest and surrounding Colorado Springs suburbs would be close to the Springs (20 minutes or less) and easily drivable (though not commutable) to Denver (over an hour, but more in bad weather and morning traffic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado