Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,259 times

Advertisements

Came in here to make mention of the women to men ratio. I moved out to the mountains when I graduated as well (have lived in Fairplay, Salida, BV, Gunnison, Summity County - the 'transient' term applied to me) and while it is amazing being able to sustain yourself in the mountains from a monetary stand point, the lack (or difficulty of finding) any sort of real relationship eventually moved me to a bigger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 01:54 PM

317 posts, read 483,584 times
It's definitely a valid concern, FlatIrony, and maybe it will eventually bother me, but at this point in my life I'm not particularly interested in establishing a real relationship. Even casual dating is something that's very very low on my list of priorities.

I do appreciate the emphasis, though. I am keeping in mind all of the various changes that living in these areas will bring to my life.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times
Hey, found this thread because I'm in a similar situation - mid 20's, can work remotely and want to live in the mountains (for the summer). FWIW, I live in Boulder right now (more expensive) on a grad student salary (25k) and I'm not accumulating debt, so it's definitely doable.

I actually think Salida is probably your best option. It has sort of a hip vibe to it that I didn't find as much in other towns. Some nice coffee shops to work in and just felt a bit more "happening" than Buena Vista. I found Salida more aesthetically pleasing and it just has a bit of a funky artsy vibe with lots of bikes and the like. With that said, last time I was in BV I was pleasantly surprised and its closer to the mountains (so its prettier that way)

Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleph4 View Post

I actually think Salida is probably your best option. It has sort of a hip vibe to it that I didn't find as much in other towns. Some nice coffee shops to work in and just felt a bit more "happening" than Buena Vista. I found Salida more aesthetically pleasing and it just has a bit of a funky artsy vibe with lots of bikes and the like. With that said, last time I was in BV I was pleasantly surprised and its closer to the mountains (so its prettier that way)
Thanks for the advice, alpeh. I'm inclined to agree with you based on everything I've found in my research and the responses from others in this thread. Salida seems like it has more of what I want, even if the area doesn't have the same views as BV (but what's a 30 minute drive, right?)

I'm going out there late next month to spend a week or so in the area just to make sure it's what I where I want to be, and if all goes to plan I'll be moving in late May/early June. Things are already in motion and I'm very excited!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times
Nice, that's great. Salida just has one of the coolest victorian centers without any pretense or touristy cheesiness like Breck. Also, the quality of restaurants is higher than BV IMO and still has pretty good views. Definitely check out "The Fritz" while you're there.

Hopefully, I'll luck out and can find a summer sublease around there

Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,851,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleph4 View Post
Also, the quality of restaurants is higher than BV IMO and still has pretty good views. Definitely check out "The Fritz" while you're there.
..and Amica's. That place has some of the best wood fired pizza and beer I've ever consumed.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,453,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
..and Amica's. That place has some of the best wood fired pizza and beer I've ever consumed.

Ummmm ......The No. 9 pizza with a side salad along with a pint of Headwaters IPA ......Unforgettable...!

Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM

Hey, everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted, but I thought I would give an update as well as ask for a bit more advice.

Taking everything you folks had told me into consideration, I decided to visit Salida and did so back in April. It was exactly what I had been looking for in a town. I fell in love. I spent a three-day weekend there and even made a few contacts while checking out the surrounding area. By some twist of luck, I even managed to find a hell of a good deal on a two bedroom apartment.

Unfortunately, after I got back home I found out I would be tied to Indiana for the foreseeable future and could not telecommute full-time like I was hoping. Knowing what everyone here (and everyone I met in town) had told me about the local economy, I knew that I shouldn't move until I had my work situation sorted out. So I began saving up my money and working to get another job. That was 8 months ago.

I'm happy to say that as of about a month ago I accepted a new position within my company that is entirely remote. Even managed to get a bit of a pay raise in the process! Needless to say, I'm elated knowing that I can now move without worrying about finding a job. I've also accumulated what would amount to approximately 3-5 month's worth of emergency funds (depending on rent) in the event that something unexpected should happen, and that's on top of the money I've set aside for moving and my first lease.

Now the only question is when to move and how to approach doing it.

I've been looking into a few hotels in Salida and Poncha Springs that offer weekly and monthly rates. My tentative plan is to check into a place like that so I can actually see any potential rentals in person while I'm hunting for one. The only thing that causes me hesitation is wondering about the reliability of the wifi in these places. My internet speed requirements are actually even lower than they were the last time I posted, but I make an awful lot of phone calls via skype to clients and coworkers and I'd need something reliable while I'm transitioning to a new house or apartment.

I've been working on all of this since the day I first posted back in January. It's going to happen - very soon. I just want to be as prepared as possible. And yes, I'm fully aware that in the event of job loss I could be yet another unfortunate soul who ends up economically eliminated from their dream town. It's a risk I'm willing to take. This is something I need to try while I can before I have a family.

With all of that said, does anyone have any thoughts on where to stay - or my plan in general?

Thanks to everyone again in advance, and please don't hesitate to call me out if you see a flaw in my plans. I'm so grateful for finding this forum before I made any decisions! Thank you all again!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,737,988 times
Thanks for the update. Always very much appreciated here! Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question. I was going to advise using the library for Internet, but that wouldn't work for Skype calls. Maybe check TripAdvisor reviews for the Internet recommendations?

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:45 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,978,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Hey, everyone. It's been awhile since I've posted, but I thought I would give an update as well as ask for a bit more advice.

Taking everything you folks had told me into consideration, I decided to visit Salida and did so back in April. It was exactly what I had been looking for in a town. I fell in love. I spent a three-day weekend there and even made a few contacts while checking out the surrounding area. By some twist of luck, I even managed to find a hell of a good deal on a two bedroom apartment.

Unfortunately, after I got back home I found out I would be tied to Indiana for the foreseeable future and could not telecommute full-time like I was hoping. Knowing what everyone here (and everyone I met in town) had told me about the local economy, I knew that I shouldn't move until I had my work situation sorted out. So I began saving up my money and working to get another job. That was 8 months ago.

I'm happy to say that as of about a month ago I accepted a new position within my company that is entirely remote. Even managed to get a bit of a pay raise in the process! Needless to say, I'm elated knowing that I can now move without worrying about finding a job. I've also accumulated what would amount to approximately 3-5 month's worth of emergency funds (depending on rent) in the event that something unexpected should happen, and that's on top of the money I've set aside for moving and my first lease.

Now the only question is when to move and how to approach doing it.

I've been looking into a few hotels in Salida and Poncha Springs that offer weekly and monthly rates. My tentative plan is to check into a place like that so I can actually see any potential rentals in person while I'm hunting for one. The only thing that causes me hesitation is wondering about the reliability of the wifi in these places. My internet speed requirements are actually even lower than they were the last time I posted, but I make an awful lot of phone calls via skype to clients and coworkers and I'd need something reliable while I'm transitioning to a new house or apartment.

I've been working on all of this since the day I first posted back in January. It's going to happen - very soon. I just want to be as prepared as possible. And yes, I'm fully aware that in the event of job loss I could be yet another unfortunate soul who ends up economically eliminated from their dream town. It's a risk I'm willing to take. This is something I need to try while I can before I have a family.

With all of that said, does anyone have any thoughts on where to stay - or my plan in general?

Thanks to everyone again in advance, and please don't hesitate to call me out if you see a flaw in my plans. I'm so grateful for finding this forum before I made any decisions! Thank you all again!
Just about every motel/hotel offers wifi these days. I used to work at a small motel out here that offered wifi and it was quite reliable. I was the desk clerk and nothing much ever went on, so I spent a lot of my time surfing the Internet with no problems. If a little place out here in the Four Corners can pull that off, then I don't see why a hotel in Salida couldn't either. Ask them about their wifi service when you call up to check room rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado