Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM

16 posts, read 66,336 times

Advertisements

Someone recommended Buena Vista to me as a beautiful small town that doesn't get a lot of snow and is a nice environment. Anyone have anything more specific to add? I had been thinking of New Mexico but am still open to other places for early retirement. I am from Michigan so I know cold but prefer milder climates. I lived in Phoenix and Tucson and the summers are too brutal and too long. I cannot afford super luxury but just want simple comforts in a friendly place that has something beautiful to view (mountains, lakes, etc.) All responses are much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Buena Vista is a nice LITTLE town surrounded with gorgeous mountain scenery. It is the center of a lot of companies that run rafting trips down the Arkansas River. Right down the road about thirty miles is Salida, which is rapidly growing as a retirement community/arts community.

Both BV and Salida enjoy mild winters, which is one reason that they are attracting retirees. The main industry in BV is tourism and the prison. Not too much else going on, so if you are not looking for employment you will be ok.

We are currently looking at real estate in BV. We have found some lovely homes with great views for the upper $200's. Of course, right now is a buyer's market, so people may be willing to take any reasonable offer. There is a new development of 600 homes currently in the planning stages, with build-out expected over 10 years. If even half of that happens, I think you will see some big changes in town.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 10-10-2007 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM

291 posts, read 2,075,650 times
I also like BV a lot! It has breathtaking scenery, relatively mild weather and closeby outdoor recreation. However, it is very small and does not have great amenities, like a supermarket. Salida and Canon City are similar and are much livelier, each having better stores, activities and health care.

If you want to get away from the crowds, BV is a good place to do it. But if you're looking for a town with a productive and active "community", BV is too small. My wife has several friends who retired to BV but who moved after a few years because it was "too quiet".

Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 19,909 times
Other than the prison as a major employer, what does average John Q Public do for a living in BV? I'm a carpenter living in SW Missouri that visited BV last May and fell in love with the area. I just need to know how to make that mortgage payment out there.
Any info would be nice.

Thanks
Dean

Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM

7 posts, read 32,122 times
I use to live in BV, and my parents still do. The mountain views: well you just can't do better. My folks live in a place called Trail West Village, about 10 minutes from the town, right down from a Young Life camp. Right out there window is a breathtaking view of Mt. Princeton, there house sits on the base of Mt. Harvard. Gorgeous! As far as work, small town job, and like others have said the prison. But its a darn cute town, with art galleries, (more in Salida) small time restaurants, and a couple grocery stores (city market)Its completely livable, and actually doesnt get that much snow (not as much as u would think) Its in a banana belt, as my folks always say. I would love to live there someday, my memories are fond of good old BV. The little town trys hard with putting on BalloonaVista a fair in the summer, even a small fireworks display on the 4th. It is generally a active summer, and a quiet winter.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 25,524 times
You can ask the Colorado Guy for his opinion on Buena Vista. I'm pretty sure he lives there. Here's his website COLORADO GUY: Colorado Photos, Web Cam, Funny News Articles, Videos, Forums, Trivia Game (Based in Buena Vista, Colorado) Keep in mind he seems to put on a very entertaining show for the website.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 PM

291 posts, read 2,075,650 times
It is a question I asked the "cowboys" at the horse stables last summer. The biggest employer is the state, not just for the prison, but also for highway workers. The rest are either the small store & service owners and their poorly-paid employees. Good tradespeople can do well, but need to do a lot of self-promotion before they are "trusted".

Get the local paper and find out who's hiring, and look at the state listings, too.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 PM

151 posts, read 714,555 times
It's a bit too small town, in attitude and lack of amenities, for me. But it really is in a beautiful setting.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,746 times
Default Reply to Making a living in BV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Other than the prison as a major employer, what does average John Q Public do for a living in BV? I'm a carpenter living in SW Missouri that visited BV last May and fell in love with the area. I just need to know how to make that mortgage payment out there.
Any info would be nice.

Thanks
Dean
If you are a carpenter, you just need to get your business card out there and meet some locals. There is so much housing going up, you could easily be a subcontractor for any builder and if you are good and reasonable, could easily make a go of it. You could start with a foreclosure, live in it, fix it and sell it for that first big check. I am in wastewater and the jobs at the small plant seem to be locked up or I would move there in a second. We have a small second home on Cottonwood Creek and spend about 7 weeks a year there, but it's not enough. Need to be there 50 weeks a year.

Last edited by suzco; 03-31-2008 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Please don't post email address

Old 03-31-2008, 06:14 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgkelly View Post
...Trail West Village, about 10 minutes from the town, right down from a Young Life camp. Right out there window is a breathtaking view of Mt. Princeton, there house sits on the base of Mt. Harvard. Gorgeous!
Oh yeah. Just got back from there. The place is even nicer than it was 3 years ago;

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado