Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,273 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am new to City-Data! This place seems really cool and I hope to get some good advice here! I am from DC and have been living here for about 20 years, ever since college. I am turning 40 next year and I am getting an itch for a new life. I have always dreamed of living in Colorado and to be surrounded by ski resorts. I have just started researching towns. Where would be a good place to call home that is close to Steamboat and other resorts? I want to rent an apartment at first and then buy a home later on to retire in. I am nervous but itchy to start a new life! Any and all advice of where to relocate would help in my decision!
Thanks!!!

Shelley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:00 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
While you wait for specific replies, consider using our Search Tool with keywords like: Steamboat or Vail or Aspen

There's been a lot written along these lines in the past and can be dug out with a quick search. Advanced Search is best, it turned up several hits with this one having good info: https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...lp-please.html

Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,682,760 times
Anything close to a ski resort is going to be very expensive. Affordable housing is in short supply because people can make more money with vacation rentals. High season is both winter and summer. A lot of people who work at ski resorts have to live in towns far away and have lengthy commutes to jobs.

You mention Steamboat. Funny aside -- I moved from DC to Steamboat 35 years ago, and here I am still in Colorado. Anyway, there are no other resorts close to Steamboat. If you want to be in an area with other resorts around, look at Dillon, Silverthorne, and Summit County.

There's a lot of new housing going in around Granby, which is relatively close to Winter Park ski area.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 AM

260 posts, read 1,439,202 times
And there is a smaller ski area between winter park and Grandby called Sol Vista.

Just be careful to tamper your expectations with reality.

THe reality is that most people live in the 'front range' and thats also where most of the jobs are. The Denver area is within a 2 hour drive of at least 10-15 ski areas. Steamboat is beautiful, but at least abother hour away and not really near other ski areas.

So in terms of ski area access, Denver is good and maybe Colorado Springs is next best ... but the other towns in the front range require that you drive somewhat further to get to the majority of ski areas.

The other issue thats been facing colorado for some time is the limited capacity of I-70, which is the main highway to the ski towns. It can become quite awful on weekend and holidays -- and a lot of people stay late in the resort towns or eat in Idaho Springs on the way home to help deal with the gridlock, which can be frustrating. Some people just leave the ski mountain early, but that trick doesn't always work anymore. There are other ways to the ski areas, but they are often farther, so you still spend almost the same time getting there.

That said, since you are coming from the DC area -- I don't think you would likely consider the Denver traffic to be all that substantial. For me, when I go to DC -- I am overwhelmed by it ... and coming home to Denver area seems like returning to a cow town by comparison.

We don't have many trees here by comparison, and you typically can see the surrounding area very well (from the roads) as a result. It takes some getting used to, but I love it here.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,141 times
Default Colorado Info

If you want to live in CO, Colorado Springs is a great place, great weather and lots to do, low cost of living. It is about 3 hours from Steamboat springs and many other ski locations.
300 days of sunshine.
Great Summer and nice winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado