Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,365,058 times

Advertisements

Have you thought about moving someplace like the Ozark or Ouachita Mountains in Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma? There are some places where you could get good medical care, plenty of outdoors, warmer winters, and a lower cost of living. The scenery is amazing in places, but doesn't get the press of the western states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,076,129 times
TravelingSilvers wrote:
I posted this same post (almost) in the Boise forum and got almost ALL, negative replies pretty much telling me we can't afford to live there. Bunch of Stuck up people I guess over there.
Makes me want to start looking in CO again.
The posts you read on these forums are probably not accurrately representative of the vast majority of citizens in ANY particular state. Personally, I never encounter as much negativity in my day to day life as I come across on the pages of city-data on almost any topic. To survive on c-d, I learned early on to take anything I read here with a grain a salt....because it's just somebodys OPINION. Don't let the negativity throw you for a loop and vice versa, don't take the positivity for the gospel truth either. Either side of the coin being expressed, may or may not resemble reality. The BEST thing you can do for yourself is to personally visit the places you are thinking of moving to and get a first hand impression, unfiltered thru someone elses opinion.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,110,654 times
TravelingSilvers-
I was going to comment earlier that I though Boise might be a good place to put on your list. However I was reading your thread on the Boise forum and I'm glad I didn't suggest it. I've only passed through Boise and stayed for the night, I did feel it was a nice, friendly place. I wouldn't judge Boise on the c-d contributors there.

The Colorado folks on this forum are not strangers to giving a healthy dose of reality to people wanting to relocate, but in general they stay positive and give options.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM

81 posts, read 202,606 times
Yeah I was just told by some Old guy (guessing cause he seems angry) that he can tell me where the Rescue Mission is located.
lmao...What a **** All because we don't want to spend all our money on Rent.

BTW. THANK YOU MUCH All for being a courteous bunch. It is very much appreciated.

I'm not keen on moving to Missouri, definitely not Arkansas or OK. I really want to go out west. Just not SW and not CA. Further away from IA the better. lol

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-09-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,410,127 times
I wouldn't base your view of Boise on one person's opinion. The cost of living there is significantly lower than elsewhere and the weather is relatively good. Much less snow than in CO. Many big companies consider Boise a "near shore" area due to its lower living costs. On the flip side though, wages are lower too.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM

81 posts, read 202,606 times
Yeah I'm not. Just stinks when you get really excited about something, just to have people tell you, you can't do it, or it won't work. It's frustrating and honestly pissed me off (which I know I shouldn't have let it).
I asked him to not post in my thread, but of course he still did.
And according to him the Cost of living there is high and I shouldn't go by Statistics. I should go by the people that live there.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,410,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingSilvers View Post
Yeah I'm not. Just stinks when you get really excited about something, just to have people tell you, you can't do it, or it won't work. It's frustrating and honestly pissed me off (which I know I shouldn't have let it).
I asked him to not post in my thread, but of course he still did.
And according to him the Cost of living there is high and I shouldn't go by Statistics. I should go by the people that live there.
I know people who live there who don't find it that expensive. You can get a decent house for $200K.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 839 times
We moved from Colorado Springs to Des Moines in 2007 due to my wife going to school here. I had spent many years in Colorado (went to high school there but also lived in many states before then and after that). I visited Denver many times. The gist for us? Colorado is a slightly better place to live than Iowa. I like Colorado the best of all states I've lived in (and visited). Comparing Colorado and Iowa: the weather is better in Colorado, such as it does snow more in Colorado than central Iowa, but the temperature will cause that snow to melt a lot quicker than Iowa. The people of Iowa are friendlier (Midwestern upbringing?) and there appear to be more jobs in Des Moines than Colorado Springs perhaps due to the insurance industry vs. military. Several things I was looking forward to leaving: 1) Colorado is not green. Grass is typically brown everywhere. 2) Complete lack of humidity. It's semi-arid and dry. Having dry skin is a given. Iowa has humidity, especially in August, but that's about it. One year it was bad; last year, not so much. But I like that fact that you don't have to water things in Iowa. In Colorado, plants will dry up and die if you don't water them constantly. Some places have water restrictions. 3) Colorado Springs is a military town, which is fine because I am a veteran, but yes, it has a "strong" conservative slant.

But the mountains and nature activities make Colorado, overall, a slightly better place to live. It's just my opionion though. Depends on what you like. I grew up in the mountains there, so maybe I am a little biased. Certainly not dissing Iowa because it rates as #2 in my list of the ten states I have lived in. But it's just a list by some guy.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,731,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
delta07 wrote:
Just something to consider... the cold in Colorado, IMO, is vastly different from the cold in the Midwest. The dry climate and sunny skies really don't give you that bone chilling cold until it gets down to a certain temperature. Granted, I would never call Colorado warm in the winter, but I've spent time in Washington and Oregon (western side of Cascades) in the winter and with the constant dampness, overcast and drizzly skies, 50 degrees in that climate feels bone chilling cold to me! I would much prefer 6 inches of snow and sunny skies, which is why we live in Bend and not Portland or anywhere else west of the Cascades. The snow in Colorado and Idaho is way drier than the snow you get in Iowa.
Your statement lends support to Mark Twains assertion that...The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco. Even though the coastal and the Williamette valley temperatures tend to be warmer than the inland areas to the east, there is a persisitent greyness and dampness that makes the temps FEEL much colder. I recall spending a week in Eugene in the late 70s during the month of January. Even though the temp was 20-25 degrees warmer than Nelson - BC were I was living at the time...I nearly froze my butt off. I was not accustomed to feeling the bone chilling effect of the dampness.
Well I tried to give you some rep points for this one, but appears I have to spread some around first! In November I was over in Portland for a few days and even though it was supposedly almost 50 degrees, the rain and gray skies had my teeth chattering and I was chilled to the core. I even had several layers on, including a gore-tex rain jacket, but it was no match! After having lived in Fairplay, CO at 10,000 feet, as well as Bend (where many people say it's too cold), I swear Portland on that occasion was in the list of coldest places I've experienced.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM

345 posts, read 918,209 times
Maybe they are suffering from Winter Blues, one more day of negative degree weather and I might be there myself

Maybe they did not understand that your work from home and can do your job there or in Iowa. Either way if you are going to visit there, talk to people in restaurants, the grocery store, ask for directions and etc, that gives you a better idea of the true nature of people there.

I personally being from NY find the people here to be friendly. I was in VA last year and was talking to them and they are very friendly, more so than here, helpful and nice so it gave me a good idea of what it would be like there. Also before you chose a house talk to the local police or fire dept. I was looking for a house I saw listed and could not find it and the fire dept told me "You do not want to live there, it floods, the people down there burn things, their septics back up and etc" I was happy for that info!

I am trying to think of a good state with not much snow, and a low cost of living.
Are you flying out to ID? Or are you driving?
My friend who likes it out there lives in Twin Falls not Boise, smaller town maybe friendlier people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado