Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM

85 posts, read 203,195 times

Advertisements

I've only been to Denver (a couple times) COS (last year) and Durango (15 yrs ago) and my hubby and I want to move to Colorado. We are vegans and would like to move to a vegan-friendly town.

Not to push the ticket, but here in California, we have our pick of the litter when it comes to farmers markets. We visit each week and purchase fresh, organic, locally-grown veggies. I would love to find an area with a crop-share or farmers market.

Not to push the ticket even more, but I'd also love to have a small garden for summer veggies if possible. I know COS has water-availability issues, so I don't know if it would be an option there.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscassandra View Post
I've only been to Denver (a couple times) COS (last year) and Durango (15 yrs ago) and my hubby and I want to move to Colorado. We are vegans and would like to move to a vegan-friendly town.

Not to push the ticket, but here in California, we have our pick of the litter when it comes to farmers markets. We visit each week and purchase fresh, organic, locally-grown veggies. I would love to find an area with a crop-share or farmers market.

Not to push the ticket even more, but I'd also love to have a small garden for summer veggies if possible. I know COS has water-availability issues, so I don't know if it would be an option there.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
We have all that here in COLO, though not maybe in the same quantity as in CA. We've discussed this before in our forums, use the search tool with keywords: vegan, organic, garden, vegetable, etc. There are farms here who do the "shares" thing, and lots of people have veggie gardens too. Growing season is shorter here, some folks extend it nicely with greenhouses. Anywhere along the Front Range is fine, from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs. If you can afford Boulder, that should be the jackpot for you, or one of the towns nearby which are more affordable.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:16 AM

85 posts, read 203,195 times
Thanks! I tried searching "vegan" and didn't find much, so I appreciate the help. I think that should be sufficient, so if you want to close the thread, feel free.

Thanks, Mike!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I don't know of any vegan-friendly(do they beat vegan people up or something elsewhere) specific towns, except maybe the "People's Republic of Boulder", but there are usually farmer markets around here and there, depending on the town. Vail and Minturn used to have a nice farmers market set up on the weekends for a few months in summer.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
Many places in Colorado have nice farmers markets set up - I'm from Castle Rock and we have a great one every Saturday near the center of town. It finishes up operating around noon though so you would want to go earlier in the day to find what you need.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,127 times
alrighty. as a former californian and a vegetarian, I can say we do not have the same farmers markets as CA. here the markets have less variety of produce and a shorter season. that said, you can survive here as a vegan. I know people who do (my 6 year old for one). you will experience disappointment compared to CA.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
Pueblo has two farmers markets in the summer in downtown, one on the Riverwalk and one by the art center, that are great. I would not say Pueblo is the best town for a vegan to live in but since we are in a county with many farms it is a good place to shop for vegatables in the summer.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,446 times
Fort Collins has an active local food movement, supported by the Northern Colorado Food Incubator and Rocky Mountain Sustainable Living Association. There is one vegan (Tasty Harmony) and a couple vegetarian restaurants that I know of, as well as plenty veggie-friendly places (like Ethiopian/fusion Ras-Ka) in Old Town and surrounding neighborhoods. There are about 3 farmers' markets. Whole Foods, Sunflower Market, Vitamin Cottage, Sprouts for supermarkets, plus organic sections in King Soopers. The Co-op market is small but there are plans (and funds) to create a year-round "community market." There are several CSA's that serve the Front Range or parts of it. You'd probably find a few fellow vegans and more vegetarians. Decent for gardening, I think 145 frost free days on average.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Every town in SW co has a farmers market. so what are you asking? do we not eat vegetables or fruit? we have some of the best in the country, olathe sweet corn will make you crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado