Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 47,987 times

Advertisements

Would anyone know what a good town/city close to the mountains with reasonable taxes and reasonable house prices ( 200k - 300k range ) I would prefer to be where the snow falls hard and the summer is mild. A half hour to an hour drive to the montains. I don't want to live in the flat land, but don't need to be in the thick of the mountains, someplace where I could drive to the mountains for the day or weekend. If someone who knows this kind of area please give me a list of what is good. I prefer to have a house with a little bit of land, nothing crazy, I just don't want to be living on top of the person next to me. PLEASE someone help figure this out.

Here is what I have come up with:
Fort Collins
C. Springs
Asheville

I just don't know what place has what I am looking for, Ideally IT work would be near by no more than an hour commute...Any help would be great!!!!

Thanks!

also what is the cost of building just outside these areas, cnear the mountains??

Last edited by mdz; 06-26-2007 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: just merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 07:47 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
Sounds like you're describing Monument. We are just north of CO Springs, close to the Palmer Divide. Just about everything on the Front Range is lower. Our house is at 7500'. Summers are cooler, but winter can be harsher. We are in Woodmor with lots of trees, rolling hills, and large lots(1/2 acre or more). The school district is highly rated. We are close enough to Denver to make the commute possible. Lots of neighbors do this daily. Use 80132 zip in Realtor.com to search homes in the area. There are few below 300k, lots of 'em between 300k and 350k. Sales tax here is around 4%.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM

63 posts, read 334,194 times
Montrose ..beautiful mountains ...

and the Real estate market has leveled off a bit here..

Some real nice homes in the 3s

HM

Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 AM

5 posts, read 47,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Sounds like you're describing Monument. We are just north of CO Springs, close to the Palmer Divide. Just about everything on the Front Range is lower. Our house is at 7500'. Summers are cooler, but winter can be harsher. We are in Woodmor with lots of trees, rolling hills, and large lots(1/2 acre or more). The school district is highly rated. We are close enough to Denver to make the commute possible. Lots of neighbors do this daily. Use 80132 zip in Realtor.com to search homes in the area. There are few below 300k, lots of 'em between 300k and 350k. Sales tax here is around 4%.

Thank you for your reply. I will check Monument. I know when I first go I will rent and really look around for a home after I get work. Once again Thank you! Look forward to starting my new life in Colorado....with loads of snow and beautiful mild summers!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 18,046 times
Default Asheville

Asheville NC? If so, it can be tricky there. Cost of living is on the high side. It has a very culturally diverse community - downtown is chock full of restaurants and bars, organic food, "natural" living, etc. Housing prices can be high in most areas. You are really in the thick of the mountains (altho folks from Colorado and places where there are "real" mountains would scoff at the Smokies and Blue Ridge)...a couple of ski resorts close by but not a lot of snow. Humid, but relatively moderate temps. The Unive of NC at Asheville is there, you are about 2 hrs from Knoxville, TN, 45 mins from Greenville SC, 3 hrs from Atlanta. Hiking is great around the area - Blue Ridge Parkway is a scenic but slow way to maneuver around the area. Lots of horses around. Small private school (Asheville School) if you have kids is very nice. One of my brothers is a realtor there locally and my parents have lived there about 35 years. I lived there 5 years, go back to see the folks now and then. Let me know if you have specific questions about the area...

Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
I can help with the Asheville,NC area also............ I live approximately 45min.-1hr from there and am in the area at least twice a week in the winter as I ski ALOT in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado