Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 17,984 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to CS and wanted to know how many days a year are good for riding motorcycles.... thanks for the input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamman000 View Post
I am interested in moving to CS and wanted to know how many days a year are good for riding motorcycles.... thanks for the input.
It depends on your desire/need to ride. Even here in Monument that recieves twice the snow as COS, I could ride about 85% of the time. But I'm a wuss, and don't like cold, wet, windy, dark, etc. The worst is patches of snow or ice on shady roads, very prevalent around our neighborhood. I also highly discourage 3rd gear burnouts on ice, no matter how tempting it may be Otherwise this is a great area to ride. But where isn't?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,440 times
I agree with Vfr. It depends on how hardcore you are. I know some do ride nearly all year. I work with some folks that commute via motorcycle daily...almost no matter what.

I ride, but am not that hardcore. I'm a fair-weather rider. I don't have all the gear for cold weather riding anyway.

Of course there are snowy, icy days that would preclude anyone from riding, but even during that season, there are short periods of dry, sunny days and you'll see riders out. For me, there's too much sand on the corners for my comfort. Especially after a good snow.

But I guess I've noticed that most folks break out the bikes in April and ride until Oct-Nov.

As Vfr also indicated, it also depends on where you are. Monument area or Woodland Park, might be very different than Pueblo for riding.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
But I guess I've noticed that most folks break out the bikes in April and ride until Oct-Nov.
I can't speak for Pueblo or COS, but some of the wettest, snowiest weather we have weather we have up here is often in the fall and spring. In the middle of winter, there are many days that are dry, sunny and near 50° out, and of course summer is summer.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times
There are many warm (40+ degrees) dry days in the winter. I'd be more worried about monsoons in the Southeast than the dry climate out west.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:30 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,280 times
Oh and there's this other little hazard. Probably will never happen to you or anyone you know, but it comes to mind as the summer t-storms roll in.

Motorcyclist Dies After Lightning Strike - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

Old 05-24-2010, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 15,477 times
Default I'd say mid-May to mid-October

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamman000 View Post
It depends where you are along the Front Range..but for CS..I 'd say you can reliably plan on mid-May to mid-October for a higher percentage of comfortable days.. In early May / the spring...watch out for sand / gravel on the streets!! . Of course...its all weather dependent..and dependent on the level of your passion for riding and tolerance for discomfort.. We get some nice days...like this past weekend..not a cloud to be seen anywhere...temps in the low 70s...but wind gusts to 50MPH....i.e. I started out yesterday with the wife...and turned around and parked it..

Old 05-28-2010, 08:40 AM

19 posts, read 65,384 times
I ride a bagger all year. Not everyday but about 15,000 miles a year. Lots of days in winter are sunny and fairly warm. Can be lots of sand on the roads from plow trucks. Spring can be snowy and/ or windy. But we do get some nice days all year. Carry your gear for different conditions always if you venture away from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs