Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 20,032 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am new to Colorado Springs. My hubby, children, and I moved here last July from Phoenix, AZ. Our home came with an awesome garden with quite a bit of overgrowth. So much so that we didn't really get to figure out what all it had in it. We are hoping to clean out the garden a bit and add some additional veggies. I am wondering if anyone has knowledge on a good time to do this around these parts? We are very new to this, and don't have a whole lot of knowledge on gardening.

Also, the "blowing out sprinklers" was a new thing for us. So we're curious as to when everyone starts turning their sprinklers/drip systems back. Weather's been great lately, but from what I hear and can swiftly change and there can be an occassional snow storm as late as May/June.

Any info is great appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 AM

641 posts, read 2,276,559 times
You'll probably get a lot of different opinions on this un. I don't turn the sprinkler system on until late April or early May.

My first year here, I turned the sprinkler system on in late March...it was nice... and the pipes froze...bad idea.

Many folks will use a regular lawn hose and sprinkler earlier in the spring, and avoid turning on the sprinkler system until later. It's a little bit of a gamble every spring.

As for planting....I got nuthin.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM

598 posts, read 1,546,675 times
Welcome to Colorado Springs!

Here's a good link that may answer your gardening questions: PPUG - Gardening Tips (http://www.ppugardens.org/gardening_tips - broken link)

Weather in the Spring is very "hit and miss". Just when you think it's warming up nicely, we get a hard freeze and pipes break. I'd suggest you play it safe and wait 'till May, possibly mid-May until you turn them on. Terytee's advice is good advice...for now, just water by hand to play it safe.

Cheers!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM

224 posts, read 732,600 times
I've been following the after Mother's Day rule for the last 4 years I've been here (transplant from San Diego) and it's been fine. I also use this forum for any questions I have in regards to gardening.

Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum - GardenWeb

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,651 times
Harding Nursury, a local business since 1957, at the corner of Powers and Platte/I-24 has a free booklet with info. They also have some good information on their website: Harding Nursery

The "Water Returns" course sponsored by Cherokee Metro Water is a great course over several months that teaches you about gardening in this climate and water conservation: http://www.cherokeemetro.org/waterco...turnsFinal.pdf

Old 02-25-2009, 10:49 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
kristie73 has it right, "after Mother's Day"! The garden stores start selling planting material now - it's always tempting ... but don't do it.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM

121 posts, read 452,403 times
The "water by hand" advise is good. I've heard you should water your trees, shrubs, and grass periodically by hand througout the winter on our warmer days at least once per month.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:15 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,398 times
Here is a gardening tip that has worked well for me. I live up on the Palmer Divide, and it seems that if I plant vegetables before July 4, they will get hailed on. A few years ago, we built a screen and wooden frame that is the size of the garden bed, made of wood and metal screen (not window screen - more coarse than that), that sits on legs to raise it up about a foot off the ground. We put that out over the plants until it seems that there will be no more hail for the summer. It lets the water and sunlight in, but keeps the hail out. Hail that late in the season is probably not as bad a problem down in the Springs as it is up where I live though.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:15 PM

67 posts, read 199,491 times
I have a landscaper turn on as well as blow out my sprinklers every year. you can do it in April but be careful....I usually wait until the first part of May.

they do start putting out gardening stuff early and I'm always itching to start planting but usually don't until Memorial Day because of the cold nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs