Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I currently live in upstate NY and my wife and I (26 and 24) are thinking about moving out the Colorado Springs area for a couple years so I can be happy for awhile. I have always loved the Montana, Wyoming, Colorado area and I want my wife to experience it before we have kids.

My question:

What is the best way to find work out there. Websites like Monster.com and CareerBuilder are more of a joke than anything. Is there anyways to get the local paper delivered all the way out here like once a month?

My biggest hang up about moving is that at least one of us needs to have a job lined up first. We are both educated and hard workers. Any help would be great!
I would really like to live in a area like Manitou Springs since I grew up in a smaller town, don't mind a commute.

Logan
Burdett, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,302,569 times
You can get the Colorado Springs Gazette electronically over the internet. It's around $6 a month.

www.gazette.com

Look for the links to the "Green Edition."

How to find work? Far too broad a question. In general, the job market here is not booming, but some skills are in high demand, i.e. engineers with security clearances for a host of big defense contractors in town. If you're a board-certified dog groomer, do a search for my previous post on that subject.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,926,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcefd View Post
I would really like to live in a area like Manitou Springs since I grew up in a smaller town, don't mind a commute.

Logan
Burdett, NY
I can't give you an advice on the job front as I am struggling to just get a part-time job to supplement my web design work that has declined a ton lately.

Anyhow, Manitou, for all intents and purposes, borders Colorado Springs and is part of the C Springs Metro area. Unless you are paying attention, driving along Colorado Blvd going towards Manitou, you don't even realize you are in Manitou city limits. So while it is a "small town" it's much like your sleeve meets the top of your jacket - only a seam to let you know there's a transition.

Manitou and the west side of Colorado Springs have an eclectic population. From the young professional to the hippy to the working class. Driving from Manitou to say the north end of Colorado Springs is pretty easy. In decent driving conditions it only takes about 30 minutes which in a lot of the US isn't really a commute.

Anyhow, just my thoughts on Manitou Springs and it's relation to C Springs.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:41 PM

8 posts, read 16,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
You can get the Colorado Springs Gazette electronically over the internet. It's around $6 a month.

www.gazette.com

Look for the links to the "Green Edition."

How to find work? Far too broad a question. In general, the job market here is not booming, but some skills are in high demand, i.e. engineers with security clearances for a host of big defense contractors in town. If you're a board-certified dog groomer, do a search for my previous post on that subject.

The Gazette charges too much to post an ad. I haven't read it lately, but my guess is that you aren't going to find a lot of great opportunities there. My suggestion would be to contact a recruiting agency in the Springs. People who are payed by the employer to find employees. They are always looking for new meat.

However, the market can be rough. My husband separated from the military in May, and despite his top secret security clearance, has struggled to find a professional level job. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy the Springs.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:28 AM

648 posts, read 2,943,880 times
What line of work are you and your wife in? I am not sure that the gazette is your answer. You probably need to go to careerbuilder.com, dice or some of those other websites. I don't know of many companies that advertise in the gazette anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs