Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 89,015 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! What is the best place to go swimming near COS? Is there are any particular bodies of water close to COS which have good beaches? I am particularly interested in places with no lifeguards on duty and places which don't get too overcrowded. We moved here in April and after having researched this topic on the i-net for a while I can't find anything decent..Seems like Colorado is not much of a swimming state..I have b-day next weekend and my husband will take a day off hiking to do what I want and I feel that's my only chance to go to the beach, so I really want to find smth decent, not to be disappointed. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,857,008 times
I'm from back east, where there's a swimming hole on every corner. I too miss the availability of swimming. I miss it so much that I settle for anything even remotely resembling a beach and water. Some places here in Colorado are better than nothing.

Lathrop State Park's Martin Lake (Lathrop Home | Colorado State Parks) has a decent beach and swimming. There are no lifeguards. It's a little bit of a drive (but one I consider a short drive for Colorado). I usually don't mind a day trip for the chance to sit on a beach and go swimming. The last time my niece and I went down there, we pretty much had the whole beach to ourselves. It was nice. I've also camped there ... lots of decent campsites if you like that sort of thing.

There's a beach in Pueblo - Rock Canyon Swim Beach ... part of Lake Pueblo State Park (Lake Pueblo | Colorado State Parks) It's crowded and has lifeguards, but hey, it's a beach ... with swimming.

I think there's a lake somewhere down in the SE corner of the state I think - can't remember the name of it, but maybe someone else will chime in.

Hope this helps - just realize that no, Colorado is not a "swimming state" ... but the mountains make up for that. If worse comes to worse, you can always dip your feet in Cheyenne Creek.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,510,104 times
There is a beach at Prospect Lake down by Memorial Park - it might be an okay substitute now and then for something farther away.

Most people in Colorado swim in pools or rivers/creeks/streams as opposed to lakes - there just aren't so many lakes here. There are quite a few pools, though.

Also just as an aside - the reservoir in Julesberg no longer has a catch limit because the water is low and they can't move the fish to a different reservoir - so if you eat what you catch you might want to head up there. I don't know if there is swimming there or not.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:59 PM

16 posts, read 89,015 times
Thanks everyone for your responses!mtngigi, is the water pretty clear in Lathrop State Park's Martin Lake? Are there many sea weeds there? Is there sand on the beach? I was mostly looking into swimming because neither myself or my husband are into fishing. Thank you very much in advance!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM

29 posts, read 211,411 times
I've known people that will swim in Prospect/Pueblo reservoir but they seem kind-of dirty to me...11 Mile is always nice as is Cheeseman. I believe it's still closed, and after recent events it's probably not so nice, but I always loved Rampart.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 25,803 times
Default experiencing similar problems

While there is a lot to love about Colorado, the way swimmers are treated here is downright atrocious. For god sake don't get in the way of the boating elite. You are generally lucky to get half an acre of 4 foot deep water. The only decent place anywhere remotely near the Denver area I have found is privately owned Wellington lake. You may swim the whole quarter mile across although the season where it is warm enough is short. It is near Bailey and a bit over an hour from Denver and probably about 2 from Co Springs. John Martin Reservoir by Hasty (way east) is also about 2.5 hours from Co springs and actually allows swimming so far as I know. Good luck and please share any findings.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbcre View Post
I've known people that will swim in Prospect/Pueblo reservoir but they seem kind-of dirty to me...
Worse than the Jersey shore?

I really am going to miss the beaches of the east coast. I know the mountains are the trade off for it but I much prefer swimming to hiking and my husband has knee problems and can't do any hiking. The mountains are beautiful and as a photographer, it will be a great opportunity for me, but I really do get sad when I think of the beaches and boardwalks of the east coast.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
The best lake to swim in around COS is a private one at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, but you have to either be a hotel guest or a club member to use it, and it aint cheap. There is a swim beach at Pueblo which is pretty nice but crowded. We go to Ridgway one a year and do a lot of swimming, paddling and fishing with the kids, but that's a 5-6 hour drive at least.

Monument Lake used to allow swimming many years ago. There was a diving dock and everything and it was fairly clean and nice because it's an actual reservoir with an inlet and outlet. But that was disallowed as the population grew because people are bothered by people swimming in their water sources (drinking or not... and they seem to be just fine with dogs and dead fish in it) and most people just want to be able to drive up and fish from their trucks anyways. Pretty sad. There's been talk of converting a small corner of Palmer Lake if and when it ever gets water back in it. They have a master plan to do a lot of dirt work and other improvements before filling it, which would include a small swim beach. But I'll believe that when I see it and I'm not sure I want our little lake to be the only legal swimming hole around for 25 miles anyways. The good thing is you'd have to walk about half a mile to get to it from the parking area so that might reduce crowding a bit…. unless of course they build a foot bridge over the tracks which is also in the master plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I really am going to miss the beaches of the east coast.
Just be glad you're not coming from the WEST COAST (especially SD, SB, or SLO counties) because then you'd real feel heartbroken when you think of your swimming prospects in CO. Having come from most everywhere in CA at some point, all I can say is embrace the mountains and love the land. Also there's rafting and other paddling options when you really crave a water fix… not too many 'fun int he sun' water spots though. If you really need those things close CO is not ideal.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I should stop being so pessimistic really, I lived in England for 8 years and weather/swimming wise, not much is worse than that. At least CO is sunny.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 PM

350 posts, read 847,846 times
Lake Merideth & Henry are full this year. They are both pretty free-for-all when it comes to boating and swimming. Lake Merideth is more of a sandy beach than Henry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs