Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 PM

40 posts, read 105,198 times

Advertisements

I am 32 and have been laid off since December of 08. I live in Erie, PA. I can't find a job in the field I have experience in around here but can't afford to move somewhere else. I have been thinking of going back to college but the only colleges I have been to are unaccredited bible colleges so the few credits I have probably wouldn't transfer. What I'd like to major in is between Theology, History and Political Science. Theology would be to become a minister but being divorced I'd have an uphill climb finding a pastoral position in my denomination (Baptist); With History it seems you can't really do anything without a masters which I don't have a desire to do and Political Science seems mostly to be a pre law type degree and I have no desire to be a lawyer. I am also horrible at math which is why I've been putting off going to college. My area doesn't have a community college and I don't want to go thousands of dollars into debt to only not get a degree because I can't pass college math. Any advice people would have would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM

917 posts, read 2,951,851 times
You need to figure out what you want to do with your life and why you want to college. My parents are both ministers and I've grown up in church and I've never met a pastor who was wishy washy about their calling because the personal and financial sacrifices are so great. You don't seem particularly dedicated to the idea of ministry, so I'd steer clear of theology. The other two degrees are only useful if you have a plan or market yourself.

Those degrees won't help you get a good job unless you are driven and have connections. I'm sure Huckleberry will come on and recommend an LVN route (and he'll have more details than I do) and that may be something for you to consider if you don't have a career you really want to pursue. Whatever you do, start at an accredited community college to save some money.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM

The ministry is the only thing I really want to do, I'm just being realistic that divorce among baptists is like the unpardonable sin.(at least for ministers) Also, I mentioned in my post that there is no community college in my area (Erie, PA) I looked into some with online programs but they didn't have the remedial classes in math or english that I would need. If I had the money I would move to a city that did have one but I'm on unemployment and can't find a job here (Kind of a Catch 22; Need to move to find a job but need a job to have the money to move)

Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,389,189 times
How about becoming a teacher? You could get a degree in social science and teach high school history. That would combine your love of history and also be along the same track as a minister. You could possibly get a job at a Baptist school if you want to incorporate the religious aspect to your teaching.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Thats a good idea except for the fact I don't really like kids lol

Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,774,512 times
I wouldn't count on finding a job as a history teacher right now, anyway; the job market is very tight and the competition stiff. (although I suppose that varies by location)

Are there other religious or religious-related jobs you find interesting? Church-sponsored or affiliated nonprofits, perhaps? (or non-religious nonprofit work that aligns with your interests or beliefs?)

Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,915,153 times
Have you tried applying to Penn State - Erie?

Would you be willing to relocate near any of these colleges? I know you said you cannot afford to move but... If you are stuck in a dead end you might have to find a way to get to where you can go to school and find a job.

Pennsylvania Commission for Community Colleges - Member Colleges (http://www.pacommunitycolleges.org/content/blogcategory/14/40/ - broken link)

I see Cleveland is just down the road from Erie. Any desire to move there? Or up to Buffalo?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,298,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
You need to figure out what you want to do with your life and why you want to college.
I agree with this. Construct a list of careers something that can earn you a decent living. Take time to do this. A suggestion, have a pad and pencil with you as you watch TV; go to a Borders or similar bookshop and flip through magazines; go to the Mall and notice things that are sold; etc. Try to imagine what you can do for the companies that are featured in your brainstorm. Sky is the limit.

Then from these, choose those that do not have significant barriers to entry (e.g. forget anything that requires an MD or PhD, world class physique, etc.). Be realistic (which it sounds like you are), without self-defeating (many jobs in a company are easily within reach of the typical high school grad). Be optimistic.

With those remaining, select those you can get passionate about, not necessarily your calling or definitive passion. 99% of successive people I know do a job they enjoy, but not necessarily their calling.

Once you have a short list, there is likely to be a common thread amongst these jobs: skills, environment, interaction, etc. Now make sure you build skills that would have you succeed at those jobs. Also, make sure you do the things needed to present yourself well to get those jobs.

I would definitely avoid college at this point, particularly in the majors suggested. Instead, make it a hobby: buy the occasional book or DVD; attend talks and lectures, most of which are open to the general public; and most importantly, read, read, and read. Start with the readings from course syllabi from our better universities who post material on the internet. But keep all this within the realm of "hobby."

You are 32 and unemployed. You need to get back on your feet and into something you enjoy. Once the monies come in you will gain in confidence and create the breathing room needed to dream again. Leave college for the time that you can afford to indulge for 3-4 years and when you have reached a point that you can afford to take the time to rewire yourself.

Best of luck
S.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,389,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
Thats a good idea except for the fact I don't really like kids lol
Well, that answers that. You can still get a degree in Theology and then work for a church, maybe in an adult eduction position running Bible Study Groups, etc. Maybe once you are accepted into a congregation they will overlook your divorce and you can then become a minister?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:07 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
I am 32 and have been laid off since December of 08. I live in Erie, PA. I can't find a job in the field I have experience in around here but can't afford to move somewhere else. I have been thinking of going back to college but the only colleges I have been to are unaccredited bible colleges so the few credits I have probably wouldn't transfer. What I'd like to major in is between Theology, History and Political Science. Theology would be to become a minister but being divorced I'd have an uphill climb finding a pastoral position in my denomination (Baptist); With History it seems you can't really do anything without a masters which I don't have a desire to do and Political Science seems mostly to be a pre law type degree and I have no desire to be a lawyer. I am also horrible at math which is why I've been putting off going to college. My area doesn't have a community college and I don't want to go thousands of dollars into debt to only not get a degree because I can't pass college math. Any advice people would have would be appreciated.
Why would you jump into deeper debt to pay for a college education that has a dim future. The education system will be facing major budget cuts in the coming years due to dwindling stimulous money and a bad economy. It's hard enough to land a teaching job with 20 years of experience, let alone a recent grad. I would avoid education like the plague.

Financially you would be MUCH better off skipping college entirely with those career paths. Have you thought about a 1 or 2 year degree at a local community college? You could bump your experience and pay grade quite a bit and not have mountains of debt. Plus be more employable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities