Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:25 AM

917 posts, read 2,953,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, that answers that. You can still get a degree in Theology and then work for a church, maybe in an adult eduction position running Bible Study Groups, etc. Maybe once you are accepted into a congregation they will overlook your divorce and you can then become a minister?
Since the OP has no job, they will almost definitely have to go into debt to go to seminary. Most churches want a pastor with some experience, not a newbie fresh out of school. The new clergy tend to work for free and get by by "raising support" (begging). Seminary is a horrible idea unless there is a way to pay for it because you will just end up drowning in debt. Also, a minister's pay is often dependent on the congregation's giving, and right now things are tight at many churches. My mom works for a huge church with a full time daycare to bring in extra income and they've had pay cuts/freezes for two years now. Luckily, she has no debt outside a modest mortgage payment, but she is struggling to make ends meet in a cheap neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,433,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Since the OP has no job, they will almost definitely have to go into debt to go to seminary. Most churches want a pastor with some experience, not a newbie fresh out of school. The new clergy tend to work for free and get by by "raising support" (begging). Seminary is a horrible idea unless there is a way to pay for it because you will just end up drowning in debt. Also, a minister's pay is often dependent on the congregation's giving, and right now things are tight at many churches. My mom works for a huge church with a full time daycare to bring in extra income and they've had pay cuts/freezes for two years now. Luckily, she has no debt outside a modest mortgage payment, but she is struggling to make ends meet in a cheap neighborhood.
I am pretty sure I said for him to go into the seminary AFTER he gets a job in a church. I don't know how they do it in the Baptist church but in the Catholic Church the priest salary is set by the dioceses, not the parish.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM

917 posts, read 2,953,653 times
In Baptist churches, there is usually a board of deacons who determines what the clergy is paid, and that is generally reflective of the congregation's giving. In these times, there are many small churches closing because they can't afford to pay the preachers and the preachers have to eat. The OP is also right about the divorce- it is very hard to get hired by even the more liberal congregations if you have a divorce. Unless you were physically or sexually abused by a spouse (mental abuse won't fly in a lot of congregations I know), very few churches are accepting of divorce for their clergy. The OP probably wouldn't get any sort of pastoral position without training either. The best they could hope for is some sort of office or groundskeeping position.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,189,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmith78 View Post
I am 32 and have been laid off since December of 08. I live in Erie, PA.
That's your first problem. Erie is a hole (I know...I am from western PA and lived there for a while). There are no jobs there.

Quote:
I have been thinking of going back to college but the only colleges I have been to are unaccredited bible colleges so the few credits I have probably wouldn't transfer.
Behrend is up there (that's where I went to school). Unfortunately, you might have to start over if none of your credits will transfer.

Quote:
What I'd like to major in is between Theology, History and Political Science.
Are you crazy? None of those subjects will make you any money and you will only accrue more debt. Get a degree in something that you can get a job with.

P.S. And pick up an algebra book and get better at math.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,432,725 times
Quote:
I am 32 and have been laid off since December of 08. I live in Erie, PA. I can't find a job in the field I have experience in around here but can't afford to move somewhere else. I have been thinking of going back to college but the only colleges I have been to are unaccredited bible colleges so the few credits I have probably wouldn't transfer. What I'd like to major in is between Theology, History and Political Science. Theology would be to become a minister but being divorced I'd have an uphill climb finding a pastoral position in my denomination (Baptist); With History it seems you can't really do anything without a masters which I don't have a desire to do and Political Science seems mostly to be a pre law type degree and I have no desire to be a lawyer. I am also horrible at math which is why I've been putting off going to college. My area doesn't have a community college and I don't want to go thousands of dollars into debt to only not get a degree because I can't pass college math. Any advice people would have would be appreciated.
How about this option? Talk to these people and let them help you decide what career to pursue next.

Pennsylvania Technical School - Triangle Tech
Pennsylvania Degree

What about Mercyhurst? Give them a call, explore your options. They may surprise you.

This is the place. | Mercyhurst College

What about this school? More options if you talk to them.

Gannon University :: Academic Programs

Frankly, after reading your post, I was under the impression that Erie was some desolate place with few educational options. But after seeing the schools there, it may be time for you to apply yourself and upgrade your skills. Do your homework. There are many options for you in Erie.

colleges in erie, PA - Google Search

Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,941,358 times
It seems contradictory to say you want to study these subjects but don't want to work in them. I think you need to figure out what you really want to do.

It sounds more like you are just looking for an escape from your current situation. And while I can certainly understand that desire, college is just too expensive and too time-consuming to use as an escape.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,189,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
How about this option? Talk to these people and let them help you decide what career to pursue next.

Triangle Tech
DO NOT GO TO THAT SCHOOL! I have an associate's degree from there and it is worthless. PM me for the gory details.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 AM

12,981 posts, read 13,727,783 times
you could get a degree in Counseling. But I would take an Algebra class. If I were you over the summer or at night and not take anything else and use what ever tutoring the school has to get you through it. There are plenty of people who have an aversion to Algebra and think its hard. Its only been around for 4000 years and hasn't changed that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities