Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 AM

243 posts, read 1,629,970 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm 24 and my background is a Bachelors in Multidisciplinary Studies (Dec. 2007 WVU) with 3 minors in business administration, economics, and entrepreneurship. Currently I work customer service at a bank's mortgage division and I am pursuing a Post-baccalaureate certificate in Accounting (Dec. 2010 VCU). After the certificate I will have all of the necessary requirements to sit for the CPA exam. Should I go for these degrees, or just try to find work in Accounting? If you think I should go for these degrees, which degree do you think would benefit me the most? I know I wouldn't want to do Accounting forever, and I decided pursue a CPA because it seems like a good way to get my foot in the door for the "business world". Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM

784 posts, read 2,729,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
I know I wouldn't want to do Accounting forever
What do you want to do?

Quote:
I decided pursue a CPA because it seems like a good way to get my foot in the door for the "business world"
Then you are pursuing it for the wrong reasons.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
Definitely get the CPA, it will never hurt to have it, even if you never directly do bean counter work. Accounting IS NOT at all defined by most people's perception of it. Understanding the numbers is seriously useful in almost any business activity, many people don't. The CPA can be an excellent stepping stone for further financial development. Go for it. JMO

Old 01-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Then you are pursuing it for the wrong reasons.
Pursuing a CPA to get my foot in the business world is the wrong reason for pursuing a CPA? Please explain this one to me, because every CPA I know tells me otherwise. I was told the experience you gain in Public Accounting can establish a solid foundation and take you in so many different directions.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
It can be difficult to get into public accounting as a nontraditional student. You absolutely need to be CPA eligible to go that direction, though.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
It can be difficult to get into public accounting as a nontraditional student. You absolutely need to be CPA eligible to go that direction, though.
Yes I have heard this, but my program is just like a regular 2nd bachelors in Accounting. I have classes with all the undergraduates. I joined my state's society of CPAs and they put me in this mentor program to work closely with a CPA. I believe my mentor worked with Ernst and Young, and she has a sister who is a manager with Ernst and Young out in Charlotte, NC.

I figured I have to do as much networking as possible since I am a non-traditional student. I plan on attending a workshop out at Virginia Tech this summer for Accounting students. Also, whenever school starts up next week, I plan to establishing a great relationship with my career services center. I figure that applying for these jobs online won't get me in, I just have to use all of my resources since I'm at such a "disadvantage". If it all fails, I will at least have enough experience with the bank I already work with to find a better position.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Having a CPA gets you further than some average business degree.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm 24 and my background is a Bachelors in Multidisciplinary Studies (Dec. 2007 WVU) with 3 minors in business administration, economics, and entrepreneurship. Currently I work customer service at a bank's mortgage division and I am pursuing a Post-baccalaureate certificate in Accounting (Dec. 2010 VCU). After the certificate I will have all of the necessary requirements to sit for the CPA exam. Should I go for these degrees, or just try to find work in Accounting? If you think I should go for these degrees, which degree do you think would benefit me the most? I know I wouldn't want to do Accounting forever, and I decided pursue a CPA because it seems like a good way to get my foot in the door for the "business world". Thanks in advance...
What do you want to be when you grow up?

If you want to spend your days working in the taxation field, get a MS in Taxation or attend law school.

If you want to work in accounting, A CPA can help. You are NOT too old for the accounting firms (who generally cut off at 30) but you need to find out which accounting professors at VCU have contacts with what accounting firms as their are relationships that need to be developed.

If all you are doing is "to get a foot in the door", you are wasting your time getting the CPA.

Do realize that the average person goes through 3-4 careers or professions in a lifetime.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:38 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,981 times
Quote:
Pursuing a CPA to get my foot in the business world is the wrong reason for pursuing a CPA? Please explain this one to me, because every CPA I know tells me otherwise. I was told the experience you gain in Public Accounting can establish a solid foundation and take you in so many different directions.
Different directions? You mean like being an accountant at other firms? Or opening up your own Accountantcy shop?

The jobs with the best exit ops are I-Banking and Management Consulting. Look at the majority of candidates from top 10 B-Schools, most go into M&A or Management Consulting at a Big 3 --> exit ops are amazing, PE / VC for I-Bankers and C-Level Execs at fortune 500 companies if you make partner at a McKinsey.

Accountants are rule followers. Most of them are idiots who went to sub-par schools and don't have the grades / ability to think creatively and get into a top school --> finance. Stick them in a cubicle in the basement.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Different directions? You mean like being an accountant at other firms? Or opening up your own Accountantcy shop?

The jobs with the best exit ops are I-Banking and Management Consulting. Look at the majority of candidates from top 10 B-Schools, most go into M&A or Management Consulting at a Big 3 --> exit ops are amazing, PE / VC for I-Bankers and C-Level Execs at fortune 500 companies if you make partner at a McKinsey.

Accountants are rule followers. Most of them are idiots who went to sub-par schools and don't have the grades / ability to think creatively and get into a top school --> finance. Stick them in a cubicle in the basement.
Lol that sounds a lot like me I never was or planned on being Mr. Harvard, I just want to make a reasonable income in the future..Doing alright to me would to be a VP of a Department in a company and not VP of the company itself. By the way that you describe things, It sounds like your more of a fan of the MBA rather than both of the MS programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities