Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM

610 posts, read 3,016,547 times

Advertisements

Would it be a waste of time for me to get a certificate in GIS? I heard that that GIS is a rapidly growing field, but would a cert. in GIS be enough to work in a GIS related position? Or would I need to get a BS or MS in GIS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
GIS is becoming more and more implemented into daily life, but I wouldn't waste my time on a BS, BA, or even MS in the subject since you only really need one or two courses in GIS to really get the hang of it. Most people confuse GIS with cartography (map making), which it isn't (although you will create many maps with it). GIS is as its name sounds -a Graphical Information System. At its core, it is about managing pathways of information and how to properly display them in a manner that makes sense to the viewer.

Four years of formal education is not required and most four year GIS programs are filled with courses in web design, topics in information technology (yawn), management of information technology (this is what a basic GIS course will teach you anyways), basic programming, a basic cartography course (once again, something that you should learn in an intro to GIS course), computer ethics, plus a few others on top of all of the basic core curriculum courses.

Go for the certificate and if you want a more formal education just major in something else. GIS can be applied to any field or scenario that you can think off.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 AM

610 posts, read 3,016,547 times
Is it easy to get a job with a GIS certificate?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 AM

40,954 posts, read 49,234,730 times
Doesn't GIS also stand for Geographic Information Sysytems which deal with people, movement, & structures. My son has a MS in GIS and currently works for one of the big insurance companies.

As far as a certificate... most cities have GIS departments now. You might ask your city what they require to get hired.

From Wiki on GIS

Quote:
A geographic information system (GIS), or geographical information system captures, stores, analyzes, manages, and presents data that is linked to location. Technically, GIS is geographic information systems which includes mapping software and its application with remote sensing, land surveying, aerial photography, mathematics, photogrammetry, geography, and tools that can be implemented with GIS software. Still, many refer to "geographic information system" as GIS even though it doesn't cover all tools connected to topology.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 PM

323 posts, read 806,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Would it be a waste of time for me to get a certificate in GIS? I heard that that GIS is a rapidly growing field, but would a cert. in GIS be enough to work in a GIS related position? Or would I need to get a BS or MS in GIS?
I wouldn't waste time getting a BS or MS in GIS, b/c you really do only need a course or two to become very well versed in the software. The company I work for employs several GIS folks and to the best of my knowledge, at least a couple of them do not have a BS or MS in it (although also of note, I don't think you can get a degree in GIS, you'd get a degree in Geography or Geology with a focus in GIS...at least that's my understanding). All kinds of fields employ those with GIS backgrounds, it's really a great field to get into.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
Cert is better than nothing - and I'd say it is all you "need" to get started in GIS, as a bare minimum.

but I disagree with the people who claim that university curriculums are a waste of time.

With my B.S. degree, as well as having 2 or 3 progressively difficult GIS courses, I also had classes on aerial photo analysis, satellite mapping & global positioning, telecom, geostatistics, information systems development, GIS programming, and cartography.. these may not be something you need, but you will not get them in a GIS Cert class. Also, you pick up a tremendous amount of knowledge from spending 4 years in a GIS department, with experienced faculty.

Not to mention, a 4-year degree in GIS will set you apart from other candidates, which is especially useful with a competitive labor market like we have now.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 PM

964 posts, read 3,161,793 times
What can you do with a GIS degree? I'm considering changing my major(ok, ive said this countless times :P ) to something I can get a hands on approach with like Geology or Geography.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:58 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
What can you do with a GIS degree? I'm considering changing my major(ok, ive said this countless times :P ) to something I can get a hands on approach with like Geology or Geography.
I am a Geography major and I would recommend changing to Geography. GIS is more Geography than Geology.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Just like with any job, I'd say a BS looks better than just a certificate. It's true that a 4 year program won't be just learning GIS. Your best bet would be to major in Geography. I am a Geography major and the Geography program at my college includes GIS along with other aspects of Geography. Don't get a Master's degree. I think graduate school is a waste of time unless you want to do a job that requires it (lawyer, doctor, etc).

Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,793 times
Is Geography a good major to take up? I mean, I always say that a degree is as worthless as YOU make it, not what others say, but I'm just trying to make sure I don't get something that won't benefit me later on.

But I'm highly considering it after other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities