Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 33,877 times

Advertisements

I have been completing my AAS in 'Computer Networking & System' from local community college. Most of the major credit/courses have been completed, only few electives [ Algebra&calculus] are left for the graduation. While in college as a PT student, I was working as a Desktop Support Tech, not for very long though. I was also taking few evening classes . The contract for the job has suddenly ended this month, therfore i am thinking of going back to college.

After searching job boards and having few job interviews, I realized that there are not many entry-level jobs in Networking besides punching cables or installing Satellite Antennas. Netorking jobs are more on higher end. Most of the jobs openings in this area, I find, are in ‘Active directory’ and ‘System Admin’ field.

What course I should take on to get back in the IT as a system admin? Some suggest changing the major in the same college, some are for online-certification. Another college is a different option. I dont know what certificate to take on for my goal.

Tuition fee is almost $425 for a single course [3 credits] in the Community College. I am not planning on student loans. Changing the major will cost me more than just finishing the Networking major. I do not know about transferring credits to another college. I have no idea of online certification's fee structure too.

Discussing this to the college counselors/ advisers was not much helpful; they seem a bit out of touch with the real market place.

It would be highly appreciated if someone could suggest a right career path and industry standard certificates for me. To be honest, I am not planning to be at a high management level for now, for sure. I just want a job in the IT sector.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,360,746 times
Since you are almost finished, just complete it. Then assess your options.

I'd consider looking into network security courses. Network security is in demand.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,027,307 times
Definitely stick with networking. The internet isn't going away anytime soon and having a degree will get you further than if you don't have one.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM

I am thinking of Network Security as my goal, but for now I have to get into System Admin/ActiveDirectory kind of job as there seems to be more job openings. In general, i see very few Networking guys than IT Admin guys in a general office.

I definitely want to complete my associate but not sure about which one. Not planning to go for 4 yrs college with hefty loan though.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,918,198 times
If you are almost done with your degree, finish it just so you have the degree to transfer if you want to go back in the future. Since you are a tech person, certifications do carry a bit more weight than a certificate in Leadership or Financial Management. Certificates for tech topics will show employers that you are up-to-date.

If I were you, I'd finish your degree and then do a certificate. You'll have two documents of formal education and you can always complete your Bachelor's degree in the future with finances permitting.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Most of the job postings I notice , describe basic IT position as :-

"Network Engineer with sound knowledge of Cisco routers/switches, Groupwise, GWAVA/Barracuda/symantech, PIX firewalls, LANS, LINUX, EMC and Active Directory " and

"Windows Administrator with LAN,Linux, VMware and networking Experience".

The associate degree, I am taking now, does not cover all of the above, but the basics.

After reading the recommendations from you guys, it seems a good idea to complete my associate degree and later get some advance certifications[??].

Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 PM

10,374 posts, read 10,830,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachio View Post
I have been completing my AAS in 'Computer Networking & System' from local community college. Most of the major credit/courses have been completed, only few electives [ Algebra&calculus] are left for the graduation. While in college as a PT student, I was working as a Desktop Support Tech, not for very long though. I was also taking few evening classes . The contract for the job has suddenly ended this month, therfore i am thinking of going back to college.

After searching job boards and having few job interviews, I realized that there are not many entry-level jobs in Networking besides punching cables or installing Satellite Antennas. Netorking jobs are more on higher end. Most of the jobs openings in this area, I find, are in ‘Active directory’ and ‘System Admin’ field.

What course I should take on to get back in the IT as a system admin? Some suggest changing the major in the same college, some are for online-certification. Another college is a different option. I dont know what certificate to take on for my goal.

Tuition fee is almost $425 for a single course [3 credits] in the Community College. I am not planning on student loans. Changing the major will cost me more than just finishing the Networking major. I do not know about transferring credits to another college. I have no idea of online certification's fee structure too.

Discussing this to the college counselors/ advisers was not much helpful; they seem a bit out of touch with the real market place.

It would be highly appreciated if someone could suggest a right career path and industry standard certificates for me. To be honest, I am not planning to be at a high management level for now, for sure. I just want a job in the IT sector.

Thanks
I have hired a lot of people both for an IT consulting firm and as a CIO. Finishing the algebra and calculus and finishing an associate degree would not make much difference to me in making a decision to hire you. I'm looking for proven expertise and experience. Map out your path, get the experience whatever way you can, and pick up as many certifications as you can. Your goal should be to find a company that will pay for your training.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Should i go for Window Administration or Networking, thats the Q I am asking.
I see more job openings in current market as SystemAdmin than for Routing/switches.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM

723 posts, read 2,203,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachio View Post
Should i go for Window Administration or Networking, thats the Q I am asking.
I see more job openings in current market as SystemAdmin than for Routing/switches.
That's really up to you. Both have their higher ends. At the end of the day, they are both EXTREMELY competitive.

Networking guys will probably make more on average (just from what i've seen) because that stuff can get complicated quickly and it's easy to screw something up. Expect watch over the shoulder of a manager before you actually get to 'touch' anything for a long time.

Windows Admin is more broad, but when you enter the enterprise arena and you're stepping into a mature Windows 2003 domain that's been purpose built, you will have to work your way up before you get to touch domain admin or enterprise admin rights. That's usually senior admin space ($100k+ annual).

Since i've done a lot of the above, here's what I would do depending on your interest :

Win Admin : Volunteer/Work Experience -> 2 y/r or 4 y/r degree depending (4 year degree is less limiting in terms of getting past HR) -> Associate of (ISC)2 (cissp exam) -> MCSE Win Server -> GIAC GSEC (general security cert) -> GIAC GCWN (Windows Security Cert) -> Masters Degree in IT or InfoSec
Skills : Powershell, virtualization (hyper-v or esx), desktop virtualization for labbing (you will do ALOT of labbing, might as well get a tech net subscription).

Cisco Admin : Volunteer/Work Experience -> 2 y/r or 4 y/r (same as above) -> CCENT ->CCNA (W/ security if desired) -> CCIP -> CISSP -> GIAC -> Masters Degree in Network Admin or InfoSec

Note i'm not advocating the pursuit of certifications just for the hell of it-it's simply because in this day and age the desired candidate will have EXPERIENCE + DEGREE + CERTS * REFERENCES which, like it or not, is wanted more than EXPERIENCE + DEGREE or just DEGREE. If there are 500 people applying for one job , do you think the one with just the degree, just the certs or just the experience is going to get the job? No. The masters degree on top of that may have absolutely nothing to do with your job role, but in some companies it IS a requirement to promote individuals beyond a certain pay grade.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,209,712 times
Depends on what you LIKE.. if you like the admin part - stick with that.. Networking - stick with that.
As the above posters have given their advice I can add to some.
I also got my CS degree. Many managers don't put any weight on it, however it gets you through the door. Especially since many job applications are filled out online and an HR recruit pulls ONLY those that meet specific requirements... Get your Degree!!!!

If you are a desktop tech - I would recommend getting a similar position and then transferring into a network position. With the economy the way it is companies are hiring VERY experienced networking techs for entry level positions (depending on the area of the country).. or... contracting firm will get you into the door of many companies and give you lots of experience.

It will be easier to get an admin role - ONLY if you have the TECH experience. In many cases..
Also Get your certs!!! many managers put NO weight on those, but an HR recruit will pull those resumes that meet the requirements to give to hiring managers.. It's another check mark is all.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities