Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times

Advertisements

I would live to go to college to be an medical sonographer, more specifically in the OBGYN area.
I live in CT and am having a hard time finding programs at colleges. Some locla hospitals have training programs but i believe you need a degree first, but in what?
I'm just sort of confused as to how to start a profession such as this?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM

153 posts, read 689,289 times
This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but I know a few people who got their undergrad degree in physics or biomedical engineering, master's in medical physics, and ended up in medical imaging with starting salaries in 6 figures. If you are interested in a stronger understanding of the fundamentals, this is a great way to get into such a field.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 40,696 times
I have 3 years experience in the field with my A.S. in Diagnostic Medical Sonography and am registered in ABDOMEN and OB/GYN. I went to a Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences in Orlando, FL. It was a GREAT program. There are non-degree programs like Cypress Community College has in Cypress, California. It's an 18 month certificate program (accredited). I live in southern Cali now, and my hospital works with Cypress students for clinical hours. They are just as good when they graduate as people I went to school with in the 2 year program. The most important thing is to find out if the program you are looking at is ACCREDITED for your specialty of interest. This way you can sit for your registry exams after graduation. If your program is NOT accredited, you've wasted your time and money and will find it difficult to find a job.Be patient and prepared to wait on a waiting list. Ultrasound program are usually small and have LONG waiting lists (I waited 1 year, but it was worth it). Get prerequisite classes out of the way (will vary depending on program). Typical prerequisites are English, College Algebra, Intro to Physics, Intro to Computers, etc. Get GOOD grades. These programs are competitive.I didn't go into ultrasound to do OBs but quickly fell in love with doing OB scans. Be prepared to work hard and put in your time before you find the exact position you want. I've been working FT for three years in the hospital setting, 40 hrs/week plus on-call nights and weekends doing every kind of exam except echocardiograms. I just got hired TODAY as a FT tech at an outpatient women's center doing mostly OBs. These positions are not easy to come by. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
check the ARRT website for a list of accredited programs in your area.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 18,673 times
Checking ARRT website will not help you...it's for radiologic technologists.

Go to sdms.org...Society for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers. Click on "career", it will lead you to detaild information on the sonography field.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Try this

https://www.arrt.org/index.html?cont...ols&iframe=yes

and

http://www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

caahep list is more comprehensive. I am not sure what the difference is between the two lists. *shrug*

Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,834 times
Default UltrasoundTech

Thanks Tchristo.
I would like to know how hard is college level algebra because I have foreign bachelors degree in Biology.
I obtained my degree 18 years ago. So I am worried is it worth it to take education and start new career in 40's ? Do they give internships in certificate course?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities