Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,877 times

Advertisements

I am very much interested in becoming an Ultrasound technician. I am worried about how hard schooling is - but most important - how difficult is it to find a job afterwards?

I have ADHD- Inattentive type and I was wondering how difficult it would be, is it possible to get through that schooling or should I just find another career. The benefit with this is that you can get a Associates Degree but make sure that the school is accreditated ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM

143 posts, read 332,416 times
My sister is currently in an ultrasound tech program in a community college in Southern California. Grades/GPA wise she did better than most of her classmates. Given that her grades were only so-so in K-12 so I am guessing the schooling isn't actually very tough at all (and probably a push over at that particular cc); she often jokes how dumb her classmates are. She will commence her internship next month so she will find out in <18 months how the job market is

Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,656 times
Just because you're ADHD doesn't mean that you can't do well in that kind of program. I will say that I don't think it's terribly difficult if you have a reasonable grasp of the sciences. I think there are foundation courses in science that would be required.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM

27,189 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Much of the program is "hands on" versus focused on classwork, particularly after the first semester in a two year program. You should do just fine. It's an in demand job, especially if become nationally certified after graduating through the national exam given by the ARDMS Credentials & Examinations | ARDMS You can also get further certified through additional training (often on the job training in cardiac or neonatal specialties) which will give you higher salary potential and more job opportunity.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
??
You are worried that your ADHD will get in the way of your ultrasound schooling... but then, wouldn't it also get in the way of ANY schooling you might take?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
ADHD - inattentive? Are you on some meds? A family member has this and taking the meds has turned his life around in regards to his grades. It is lowest dosage taken only on school days. If it is THAT bad enough it will affect your learning capabilities (and your ability to earn a living), it is something to think about. (not to push meds or anything) Please check out what your community college has to offer before a profit-university. They are way cheaper. Ours has an ultrasound tech program and it is only about $5000 tuition a year to attend.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Just be aware, you may be subject to drug screening for hospital employment.

Mentioning this only because if you take amphetamines for ADHD, this will show up as a drug of abuse. It may hurt your chances for a job, even with a valid explanation, because it means the hospital's liability may be increased if they are sued. This is inside info from a hospital HR person.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,877 times
@ gardener34

WOW What state do you live in?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
Illinois, chicago area. The classes at our local community college are $105 per credit hour, however this costs does not include any lab fees, books, etc. all of which can add up to $$$. Most classes are 3 credit hours, So 1 class would be $315 dollars approx. It is quite amazing what your local CC has nowadays... the for profits used to have a niche because the regular universities did not offer the types of technical degrees like that. Now they do. WAY cheaper, just have to make sure, like OP said, that it is accredited per the industry standards.

Nightly, thanks for the tip... in case our family member ever comes across this situation in quest for future employment.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 34,684 times
Default job outlook for ultrasound technicians is good. Don't worry about it.

You don't worry about the job outlook. The job outlook for ultrasound technicians is very good in the nation. Between now and 2020, it is expected that the number of sonography jobs will be increased by 44%, while the total growth by 2020 for all job sectors is expected to be 14%. Sonography also surpasses other related healthcare fields by 18 percent anticipated job growth.

I also have checked the employment for your state Illinois. Illinois is one of the largest states for the number of sonography jobs. In 2011, 2020 ultrasound technicians were employed. In 2012, 2160 sonographers were employed in the state.

I don't where do you live in Chicago area, but according to employment data provided by UltrasoundTechnicianCenter.org, in last year, 1240 sonographers were employed in Chicago-Joliet-Naperville IL Metropolitan Division and 1420 ultrasound technicians were employed in Chicago-Joliet-Naperville IL-IN-WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities