Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,398 times

Advertisements

My husband will attend school soon for a undergraduate degree. He has the GI bill but can't get the money before the school start. We will have to get a student loan until the GI bill comes to us. My question is. Do they look at your credit history before they give you a student loan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Yes and any bad information will likely cause the loan to be denied. I've heard of students being denied a loan because of late video fees that were turned into collections. About the only way you can get a loan is with a cosigner, but that entails a risk to the cosigner. I've heard of grandmothers cosigning for their grandchildren not realizing they became responsible when their grandchildren failed to pay.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Can your husband start his program at a community college, which is less expensive, and then switch to a four-year college once the GI bill comes through? How about scholarships? Has he talked to the Veterans Affairs Officer at his college? There may be a way for him to start without the GI bill and no additional outlay.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:23 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,344 times
If it's a government student loan, they will not look at your credit; you just cannot be in default of another federal loan.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:42 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,650 times
MissShona is correct. They will only look at your credit if you are going for a private student loan. Everyone should exhaust their government resources first.

I was previously employed in Student Services at a college for several years, so I am confident about my reply.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
As the other posters suggested, if you receive a government student loan, which you would apply for through financial aid at your insitution and filing out the FAFSA, they don't look at credit. They do for private loans, which are at a very high interest rate in general.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 AM

308 posts, read 1,616,953 times
My brother is in this exact situation currently. He spoke with someone in the business office to set up a payment plan and then took out a gov't student loan (through completion of the FAFSA, as others have already recommended). He still has to pay half his bill up-front, but it is being paid via the student loan. His funds from the GI Bill should arrive by the time the later installments are due.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
My husband will attend school soon for a undergraduate degree. He has the GI bill but can't get the money before the school start. We will have to get a student loan until the GI bill comes to us. My question is. Do they look at your credit history before they give you a student loan?
My credit history is shaky at best, yet I just qualified for a subsidized student loan and an unsubsidized student loan. You can qualify easily if you qualify for a Pell Grant, which I did.

Go to fafsa.edu.gov and apply. Once you submit a FAFSA, you can find out if you qualify for federal aid and for loans.

Hurry though. If you don't get it in soon, you may not get your money in time to pay for classes.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,218 times
Student loans are the easiest loans to get, and they are the most forgiving. Like the others said, go to [url=http://www.fasfa.org]www.fasfa.org with our sporting goods promotion.[/url] (or, -.com) and fill out the application. In addition, you will need to request a PIN such that you can sign the promissory note (BTW- dont ever forget your PIN- you will need it even after graduation). I forget if you receive the PIN from fasfa, or if you have to go elsewhere, for example, [url=http://www.ecsi.net]ECSI[/url]. Moreover, for ANYONE who has served in the military you must know this- YOUR STUDENT LOAN CAN BE FORGIVEN- check forgiveness criteria here: [url=http://www.ecsi.net/bwr/forms/index.html]ECSI - Borrower Forms[/url]. Either way, no credit check is required for student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities